+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, I just can't wait - New Phone in Technical; As per the title, I just can't wait until tomorrow for my new phone to arrive, my shiny new HTC ...
    Thank Post

I just can't wait - New Phone

As per the title, I just can't wait until tomorrow for my new phone to arrive, my shiny new HTC Desire. I've been checking for what are the best free apps.

My phone has had a knackered screen for a while (mainly because I was trying to prove how indestructible it was). So today I phoned T-Mobile and said I was thinking of jumping ship etc.. and wanted a new phone. The cheapest contract they could do me and get the phone for free was a 24 month contract (which I didn't really want but it does have benefits over the 18 month plans).

So for 28 a month I get my HTC Desire free, 900 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited web (I didn't believe it but it has been explained to me how it works, and is genuinely unlimited) and after 21 months I can upgrade my contract with no penalties, as if I was at the end of the full 24 months.

I'm pleased, I just wonder how this compares with what other people have managed to get. Also, any must-have app suggestions would be well appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thats a pretty good deal, welcome to the Desire club ;-)
    See this thread for apps, I would say advanced app killer and app2sd are probably the first you want to install, wi-fi analyser is a great tool and robo defense is a great game :-)

Thank Post
    Angry Birds + the Live Hold'em game are the best I've got so far...

Shame there's no proxy support still!

Thank Post
    Sweeeet!! I'm just way too excited to concentrate. It's like Xmas for me getting a new phone. Now at least I'll be able to connect this to the bluetooth in my car and have a protable media player as the bluetooth on my C902 is flakey at best.

Been reading through peoples recommendations of apps and there are literally squillions of interesting sounding apps. I particularly like the idea of free sat-nav apps and anything that will generally save me having to buy and expensive piece of equipment.

Thank Post
    Loads of must have apps. HTC desire is one excellent piece of kit. I have been with android since the G1, and it in my opinion is the best mobile operating system. So customisable. Its much more of an edugeek kind of thing than apple I would say.

My contract is 30 a month, with 200 worth of credit to use on calls, texts, picture messages etc, and unlimited internet. And you can even use the phone as a wireless router to connect to the internet, so it does away with my 3g dongle.

Thank Post
    Hi Chaps

green with envy, i could do with a new phone, and looking at the HTC Desire mentioned above DAZZD88 - sweet SmartPhone..

i have been looking at this site Mobile phone price comparison site, compareyourtarrif.co.uk looks pretty cool..

zak

Thank Post
    The ability to use the Desire as a wireless hotspot did interest me. I don't know how much I'll use it but at least I know I have if I need it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    I recommend Lookout, free anti virus, online backup and GPS tracking should your phone become lost/stolen

9. 2 Thanks to LosOjos:

aerospacemango (10th November 2010), DAZZD88 (8th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Wow, just read about Lookout and it looks like an awesome piece of kit. I think I'll be givivng it a bash.

Thank Post
    Out of interest why did you go for the Desire over the Desire HD (Desire + HD + big screen + Cloud Thingy) or Desire Z (Slightly less power, but physical keyboard + cloud thingy)...

Desire is a good phone and if it wasn't for the Desire Z coming out any minute I'd have gone that route myself...

Also FYI but the T-Mobile giving you a 'free' upgrade thing appears to be bull, I got my "pre" upgrade a couple of days ago and the only phones available are bad ones that cost loads in a upgrade fee....

I've checked what new customers would have to pay and it's nowhere near what they want me to "upgrade" to/for

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I upgraded from a G1 to the Desire in the summer and it's a brilliant phone. I use it as a wireless hotspot quite a lot.

Thank Post
    I went for the Desire over the HD due to the screen size, I don't want something that huge and the desire is on my limit. It's large enough for the functionality I want but not overly large so that it looks like a paving slab. And the Z didn't seem to offer enough over the normal Desire to warrant getting it. Don't get me wrong I'd like a qwerty keyboard but the last phone I bought with a qwerty keyboard was one I hardly used. Plus I believe it'd have cost more than the normal Desire.

Thank Post
    I love my desire, best app would be vignette , its an awesome photo app for mimicking all sorts of effects.
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 9th November 2010 at 08:27 AM.

15. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

tech_guy (10th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Well my Desire has arrived and I love it. A few minor hiccups have occurred likeit froze once and randomly rebooted another time but I'm sure they were just one-offs. Do I really need a Googlemail account to download apps? Seems a bit daft if I do.

Thank Post
    I'm a bit gutted. After getting my phoneyesterday at about 12.20ish, it has rebooted far too many times randomly and it has crashed. So today it must go back to T-Mobile. I have read that there are somepeople who have issues with Android 2.2, some Desires overheat and some just have fault motherboards. Apparently some issues that you get with brand Desires can be fixed by re-flashing the firmware.

So to summarise, I am gutted and the phone will have to go back to T-Mobile.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast