Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, or iPad? in Technical; So, I'm thinking of buying a tablet of some form and there are 3 obvious choices.
1. The iPad 3G. ...
5th November 2010, 08:22 PM #1
Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, or iPad?
So, I'm thinking of buying a tablet of some form and there are 3 obvious choices.
1. The iPad 3G. The daddy of the lot, but very expensive and not subsidised by any contracts. Also, quite large.
2. The Samsung Galaxy Tab. Again, quite expensive, but can be bought subsidised down to £99 with a 24 month £40 Three mobile contract. Size is more suitable but it is running Android, which is currently not really designed for tablets.
3. Dell Steak - much more portable, can be subsidised via o2, and again uses Android - but this time an out of date version.
So, which should I look at? I'd use it for personal stuff like watching movies, browsing the web etc... but I'd also likely take it into work and use it to RDP to servers etc...
I'm not keen on the super cheap android ones any more, as I feel I'd find myself frustrated by their cheapness overly quickly.
IDG Tech News
11th November 2010, 03:33 PM #2
Ok....here's some thoughts on this........
1. Depends on whether you like Apple and their gear. I'm not a fan, but looking at it dispassionately, I'd say that as current market leader, it would be hard to turn down.
2. This has taken a bit of a kicking, allegedly, on some review sites. If I were given one, then I'd probably be quite happy, but would I buy one? Unlikely!
3. Hmmmmmm....Tricky one, this! The Dell ships with 1.6, I believe, but has been updated recently to 2.1. The rumour is that it will be getting a Froyo update before long, though it's looking like an unofficial ROM will break surface first.
StreakDroid FroYo v1.2.0 - Announcement Thread - Android @ MoDaCo
Overall, and I can't believe I'm gonna say this.....It's either the iPad, or wait until someone comes out with a decent Droid tablet.
11th November 2010, 03:40 PM #3
or the outside bet,
it doesn't come out until next year - but for blackberry users it looks awesome.
11th November 2010, 11:27 PM #4
11th November 2010, 11:35 PM #5
Well I'm sat here typing this on my 32gb iPad and it's a brilliant piece of kit. I don't bother using my laptop or PC anymore.
The only niggle is the lack of flash support so I can't use some websites but I can live with it.
Didn't bother with the 3G version iPad as I use my HTC Desire as a wireless hotspot when I need to.
I've gone from being a hater of the Apple hype to absolutely loving the iPad. It is a beautiful piece of technology and I can strongly recommend looking seriously at it.
Last edited by tech_guy; 11th November 2010 at 11:40 PM.
11th November 2010, 11:52 PM #6
I think you're going to make mattx cry.
Originally Posted by tech_guy
12th November 2010, 12:48 AM #7
He's got a voodoo doll of me with an icepick through the head.
12th November 2010, 09:32 AM #8
Totally agree - it's an excellent product. I use my loads both in and out of work. Nice little RDP client on it so I can do network stuff etc. I did get the 3G version which I also find really useful (my phone is a bit older so I can't do the wireless hotspot thing!)
Originally Posted by tech_guy
I was suprised at how little I miss flash sites. Most of the ones I use a lot are fine.
12th November 2010, 09:40 AM #9
The 2.1 update was pulled due to some serious bugs, so most of us Streak owners are still stuck on 1.6. We have been officially promised 2.2 by the end of the year. I suspect there will be bloodshed if Dell don't deliver.
Originally Posted by aerospacemango
I'm not sure on the Tab, but the iPad and the Streak are simply not the same class of device. Both sides of the Apple/non-Apple foodfight like comparing various 'tablets' to each other, and every other 'tablet' is directly compared with the iPad in the same way that every smartphone is compared with the iPhone. The latter is usually unfair when you compare price, and the former is simply a stupid comparison through and through. I wouldn't buy an iPad simply because I have no use for a device of that capability that doesn't fit into a pocket. I probably wouldn't buy the Tab for the same reason.
Think carefully about how you want to use whatever you buy. Basically, if you want something you can slip into a pocket and yet not have to squint at when browsing the web, a 5" device is for you, and the Streak is a reasonable bet despite Dell's misstep with support. If you're happy to carry your device around in a bag, go for something bigger.
By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
Last Post: 18th September 2010, 09:06 AM
By tech_guy in forum General Chat
Last Post: 10th September 2010, 04:43 PM
By bensewell in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 20th July 2010, 10:52 AM
By JPS in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
Last Post: 7th June 2010, 11:19 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)