+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, or iPad? in Technical; So, I'm thinking of buying a tablet of some form and there are 3 obvious choices. 1. The iPad 3G. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,892 Posts
    Blog Entries

Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, or iPad?

So, I'm thinking of buying a tablet of some form and there are 3 obvious choices.

1. The iPad 3G. The daddy of the lot, but very expensive and not subsidised by any contracts. Also, quite large.
    2. The Samsung Galaxy Tab. Again, quite expensive, but can be bought subsidised down to £99 with a 24 month £40 Three mobile contract. Size is more suitable but it is running Android, which is currently not really designed for tablets.
    3. Dell Steak - much more portable, can be subsidised via o2, and again uses Android - but this time an out of date version.

So, which should I look at? I'd use it for personal stuff like watching movies, browsing the web etc... but I'd also likely take it into work and use it to RDP to servers etc...

I'm not keen on the super cheap android ones any more, as I feel I'd find myself frustrated by their cheapness overly quickly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok....here's some thoughts on this........

1. Depends on whether you like Apple and their gear. I'm not a fan, but looking at it dispassionately, I'd say that as current market leader, it would be hard to turn down.

2. This has taken a bit of a kicking, allegedly, on some review sites. If I were given one, then I'd probably be quite happy, but would I buy one? Unlikely!

3. Hmmmmmm....Tricky one, this! The Dell ships with 1.6, I believe, but has been updated recently to 2.1. The rumour is that it will be getting a Froyo update before long, though it's looking like an unofficial ROM will break surface first.
    StreakDroid FroYo v1.2.0 - Announcement Thread - Android @ MoDaCo

Overall, and I can't believe I'm gonna say this.....It's either the iPad, or wait until someone comes out with a decent Droid tablet.

Thank Post
    or the outside bet,
    the PLAYBOOK
    it doesn't come out until next year - but for blackberry users it looks awesome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm sat here typing this on my 32gb iPad and it's a brilliant piece of kit. I don't bother using my laptop or PC anymore.

The only niggle is the lack of flash support so I can't use some websites but I can live with it.

Didn't bother with the 3G version iPad as I use my HTC Desire as a wireless hotspot when I need to.

I've gone from being a hater of the Apple hype to absolutely loving the iPad. It is a beautiful piece of technology and I can strongly recommend looking seriously at it.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 11th November 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,892 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Well I'm sat here typing this on my 32gb iPad and it's a brilliant piece of kit. I don't bother using my laptop or PC anymore.

The only niggle is the lack of flash support so I can't use some websites but I can live with it.

Didn't bother with the 3G version iPad as I use my HTC Desire as a wireless hotspot when I need to.

I've gone from being a hater of the Apple hype to absolutely loving the iPad. It is a beautiful piece of technology and I can strongly recommend looking seriously at it.
    I think you're going to make mattx cry.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's got a voodoo doll of me with an icepick through the head.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post

Totally agree - it's an excellent product. I use my loads both in and out of work. Nice little RDP client on it so I can do network stuff etc. I did get the 3G version which I also find really useful (my phone is a bit older so I can't do the wireless hotspot thing!)

I was suprised at how little I miss flash sites. Most of the ones I use a lot are fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    The Dell ships with 1.6, I believe, but has been updated recently to 2.1. The rumour is that it will be getting a Froyo update before long
    The 2.1 update was pulled due to some serious bugs, so most of us Streak owners are still stuck on 1.6. We have been officially promised 2.2 by the end of the year. I suspect there will be bloodshed if Dell don't deliver.

I'm not sure on the Tab, but the iPad and the Streak are simply not the same class of device. Both sides of the Apple/non-Apple foodfight like comparing various 'tablets' to each other, and every other 'tablet' is directly compared with the iPad in the same way that every smartphone is compared with the iPhone. The latter is usually unfair when you compare price, and the former is simply a stupid comparison through and through. I wouldn't buy an iPad simply because I have no use for a device of that capability that doesn't fit into a pocket. I probably wouldn't buy the Tab for the same reason.

Think carefully about how you want to use whatever you buy. Basically, if you want something you can slip into a pocket and yet not have to squint at when browsing the web, a 5" device is for you, and the Streak is a reasonable bet despite Dell's misstep with support. If you're happy to carry your device around in a bag, go for something bigger.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread