+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPhone waking you up an hour late this morning? Yup, that's a known bug in Technical; My phone has always been my default alarm clock mainly because a) it sits on the bedside table and b) ...

Thank Post

iPhone waking you up an hour late this morning? Yup, that's a known bug

My phone has always been my default alarm clock mainly because a) it sits on the bedside table and b) it changes it's time automatically when the clocks change.

Until IOS 4.* when the clock will happily change, but the alarms, despite saying they'll go off at 6:30 and 7:00, actually go off an hour later. I thought I'd just been sleeping through the alarm for an hour, until reading El Reg, when it turns out it's a known bug:

iPhone alarm bug: now it's the UK's turn ? reghardware

Apple - Support - Discussions - iOS4 Alarm Clock ...

So thanks for that Apple, could you perhaps hire some programmers who can find their rectum with both hands?

Thank Post
    This got me this morning what gets me is the fact that they knew about this and never patched it!! If they are going to wait for 4.2 a quick email informing us of this issue would'nt of been bad

Thank Post
    One of the teachers here has just bought a shiny new blu-ray player and asked me why it always starts from the beginning of a disc. Apparently this is a known issue with blu-ray players!...progress, what progress!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    ...progress, what progress!

It really gets on my nerves how we embrace new technology which simply does not work! Back in my day (im 26 btw) if you brought out a product which didn't work properly people wouldn't buy it, no updates to add missing features, no flashing firmware, no rubber cases to cover up design faults, you either got it right first time or you ended up with a bad reputation and people started letting their feet do the talking.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post

It really gets on my nerves how we embrace new technology which simply does not work! Back in my day (im 26 btw) if you brought out a product which didn't work properly people wouldn't buy it, no updates to add missing features, no flashing firmware, no rubber cases to cover up design faults, you either got it right first time or you ended up with a bad reputation and people started letting their feet do the talking.
    I think it's because modern technology is so complicated that no one is entirely sure if it's broken or they just can't operate it.

I'm probably going to have to drive 10 miles each way this week, because my mum can't figure out how to change the clock in her car.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 1st November 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post

Thing is...All Apple customers think that their gear is "fantastic" and that there are NO faults. When faults crop up, they are quick to say that that is why Apple are sooo good....they come out with updates to fix these things.

The reality is.....Once a company like Apple get that "Good" rep, it will take a lot for it to be shaken, thus they can be a bit lax on build quality, design faults etc etc.

(Just to confirm....My android phone woke me up BANG on time, this morning!!!!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    I think it's because modern technology is so complicated that no one is entirely sure if it's broken or they just can't operate it.

I'm probably going to have to drive 10 miles each way this week, because my mum can't figure out how to change the clock in her car.
    Aye thats fair enough with certain things but you can hardly apply that to the iPhone 4s antenie problem, yet people are still buying it even with its main function being compromised (well main function after "replacing the need for rolled up socks" that is)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, my iPhone got me up fine this morning. To be fair I wasn't concentrating too hard on the time or what I'd set the alarm to but I'm sure it was correct. Oh-well, I'm sure I'll see in the morning

Thank Post
    Seriously, do Apple actually test any of their products before they put them out to market?

New MacBook Air: YouTube video reveals graphical glitch - Digital Lifestyle - Macworld UK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    These days, many products are built using readily available, commercial off-the-shelf components and tied together with firmware and software. This reduces development time, and in an effort to even further drive down costs, corners will be cut because less work is involved in getting the product to market. Testing will be less rigorous, as a lot of responsibility will be assumed to the pre-bought components or operating systems.

Compared to "the olden days" when everything was done from scratch - developed, built and tested completely in-house.

Consider a consumer internet router as an example: cut-down PC hardware (ARM CPU?), embedded operating system (3rd party, possibly Linux), and specific drivers for the networking hardware. When a problem occurs - where is it and what is to blame?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Got the iphone 4 on currently the latest firmware 4.1.1 and worked fine no issues *shrugs*

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Got the iphone 4 on currently the latest firmware 4.1.1 and worked fine no issues *shrugs*
    Mine didnt....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Consider a consumer internet router as an example: cut-down PC hardware (ARM CPU?), embedded operating system (3rd party, possibly Linux), and specific drivers for the networking hardware. When a problem occurs - where is it and what is to blame?
    Well it's usually your own daft fault for not loading Tomato, OpenWRT, DD-WRT or whatever onto it .

If their excuse is "ooh it's tricky to fix" they shouldn't have built it in the first place with such an unskilled dev team and they can send me a working replacement Right Now. This is why it's trivial to get a replacement router sent out - the phone monkey is expecting is to be possibly broken and you don't even need to social engineer him.

But even using off-the-shelf kit, its possible to do it right and it just keeps on working* it just appears not to be top priority.

* Netgear** DG-834 router - original, not re-released - running 24/7/365 for about 6 or 7 years now
    ** Yes, I accept that given the manufacturer this may be a statistical anomaly and not representative of their usual output.

Thank Post
    My wife didn't believe me that my iPhone wasn't working.... mentioned also something about late night, friends, kebabs etc... didn't get her point either....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Mine didnt....
    But ZH you have a special Alarm Clock that doesn't have those firmware issues, mini-ZH I am sure is perfected at the art of waking Mum and Dad up at good times to ensure you prompt in the office in the mornings

My Windows Mobile phone was fine as ever in all of this

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread