+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Blackberry Enterprise Server initial set-up in Technical; I have been asked to get pricing etc on setting up BES for about 20 units. I know nothing of ...
    Thank Post

Blackberry Enterprise Server initial set-up

I have been asked to get pricing etc on setting up BES for about 20 units. I know nothing of this technology so require some assistance.

Does anyone have information on this? Stuff like, BES cost, implimentations of it in a dmz (never created a dmz before) and anything else, like I said, I'm not sure at all!!

Any help much appreciated.

Thank Post
    get BES Express its free for upto 30 CALs.. so 29 phones plus 1 for BES (I think)

BlackBerry - Enterprise Server Express - BlackBerry BES Express

The only other thing is to make sure that the phones are provisioned correctly blackberry have to modes for their phones one is "enterprise" an the other is "prosumer".. if they aren't provisioned correctly they will never connect to server express.. ("Enterprise" for connections to BES)

Having helped with setting up 11 phones on BES express for our school its a bit fiddly to get going but once youve got the hang of it it's faily simple.

Gook Luck
    Last edited by adampat84; 22nd October 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling an fact missing

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help.
    BES express it is.

So I will need:
    SQL Server 2005 License, 20 x Exchange CALs, a Server to sit next to exchange to hold BES ex then the phones themselves. Anything else cost wise I have missed?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Joe,

I have setup BES Express for various companys now so if you have any problems feel free to give me shout, make sure you read up on the initial installation as the permissions can be a bit of a pain and if you don't set these right it just won't work and you'll be banging your head up agaist the wall for weeks!

If you are going ahead with BES Express you won't need to purchase SQL Server 2005 or any licences for that matter as it comes with SQL Server 2005 Express which is free.

So the only costs to you would be the phones and a server if your current server is not capable of running it also. Do you not already have Exchange CALs or/ are you buying that as well.

Regards,

James.

Thank Post
    Thanks EduTech. I do think we will have enough Exchange CALs so that should keep our costing down.

What security implications come with opening up port 3101 on the firewall? What should we be looking out for?

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have not seen anyone have any problems with opening up that port on the firewall, unfortunately it needs to be there as it is used extensively by the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). The service allows the Blackberry mobile users to initiate a TCP connection for messaging and other applications to allow the synchronization of email and PIM (Personal Information Management) information between a desktop or laptop computer and mobile software.

Port 3101 must be configured for an open bi-directional traffic. It is common for port 3101 to hold outbound data from a mobile service while attempting to connect to a server or computer through a URL or IP address bound to the port.

Aside from port 3101, you can also initiate the same inbound/outbound traffic through port 3500 for messaging and PIM exchange when port 3101 is blocked or incompatible with the platform utilized by yourself.

James.

Thank Post
    Best of luck - setting it up was a complete pita - I wasted about 8 full days trying to get all the permissions tickety-boo - grrrr

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Best of luck - setting it up was a complete pita - I wasted about 8 full days trying to get all the permissions tickety-boo - grrrr
    Are you all sorted now mate?

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Are you all sorted now mate?

James.
    Yes - finally...I think so...

The last bit that I got stuck on was the permissions for users in Protected groups (ie Print Operators - which the teachers were) - I did all the changes that I could find in the documentation - the Send As permission was showing as enabled - it it still wouldn't send. In the end I had to apply the permission at group level and allow inherit - no idea why - as the effective permissions at the user level were exactly the same.

More galling was the fact that SLT already had smart phones that connected to the school email - but the new head just went and bought blackberries off his own bat coz he likes them...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Yes - finally...I think so...

The last bit that I got stuck on was the permissions for users in Protected groups (ie Print Operators - which the teachers were) - I did all the changes that I could find in the documentation - the Send As permission was showing as enabled - it it still wouldn't send. In the end I had to apply the permission at group level and allow inherit - no idea why - as the effective permissions at the user level were exactly the same.

More galling was the fact that SLT already had smart phones that connected to the school email - but the new head just went and bought blackberries off his own bat coz he likes them...
    Awesome! Happy Days

I have a tutorial now for setting it up which works first time so if anyone needs it just give me a shout. (It will be posted to my BLOG)

James.

Thank Post
    I'll have a copy of that, server 2003 by any chance?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    I'll have a copy of that, server 2003 by any chance?
    Yeah, It is based on an Small Business Server, but same applies providing your using Exchange 2003 :-) If you have Exchange 2007 then you have to mix the first part of Server 2003 with the 2nd Part of Server 2008 :-)

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread