+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iphone in Technical; hi one of our teachers has just handed me her personal iphone for me to have a look at, she ...
    Thank Post

iphone

hi

one of our teachers has just handed me her personal iphone for me to have a look at, she wants it restoring to factory settings so she can sell it.

it is in restore mode. (when it switches on a picture of itunes and a usb cable appears on screen) so i plug it in, try to do a restore. (i have tried downloading the firmware and restoring offline, and tried restoring using firmware downloaded by itunes).
    It unpacks the firmware and 'prepares iphone for restore' then throws up an error '1604' on the itunes console.

I have googled this and not very much detail on it, anyone got any ideas on how to get it restored.

thanks

Thank Post
    in general settings on the iphone itself there is a way of wiping it to default settings.

Thank Post
    sorry i was not clear.

The iphone wont boot into the os, it always shows the itunes logo.

I think her son tried a restore and fluffed it!

nick

Thank Post
    A 1604 is a cream crackerd boot zone - needs a new ram module - bacl to apple i think is the only fix

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Fixing 1604 iPhone Restore Error – How To Go About Fixing 1604 iPhone Restore Error

Normally when they do a restore if the restore file firmware file is corrupt or gets corrupt when it unpacks this causes the issue so by making sure itunes is not running so at least quitting itunes should be enough ( if not you can stop the itunes and ipod services ( services.msc or control panel --> administrative tools --> services ) removing the files from the directory and re launching itunes to re download the firmware files etc should resolve the issue

If you do stop the services you will have to restart them before re launching itunes or at least thats how I would try and resolve the issue - as per the article if you use OS X then you will have to establish where these files are located and ( RE ) move them

Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    in general settings on the iphone itself there is a way of wiping it to default settings.
    Yes - keep holding the home and power buttons down together - you will get the do you want to power off message as per normal ( Ignore this ) and keep holding the buttons down together ( at the same time ) and it should do a restore that way, when you get the apple symbol after the screen blanks out you can let go of the buttons ( both of them ) and it should do it that way.

So you can try both methods.

If the above does not work you can try the below

http://hubpages.com/hub/Unable-To-Re...Restore-iPhone

There may be some handy comments on the first link - like this comment

THE PROBLEM IS REALLY EASY TO FIX WITH THIS METHOD, I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES WITH DIFFERENT ITOUCHES/IPHONES AND IT REALLY WORKED.....SO HERE IT GOES:
    THE FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS PUT YOUR IPHONE/ITOUCH IN DFU MODE, IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT FOLLOW THIS 4 STEPS QUICKLY:
    1. TURN YOUR IPHONE/ITOUCH OFF
    2. PRESS HOME AND POWER BUTTON FOR 10 SECONDS
    3. RELEASE POWER BUTTON BUT KEEP PRESSING HOME BUTTON FOR ANOTHER 10 SECONDS
    4. RELEASE POWER BUTTON
    NOW YOUR IPHONE/ITOUCH SHOULD BE IN DFU MODE, THEN OPEN ITUNES (IF ITUNES WAS RUNNING CLOSE IT AND OPEN IT AGAIN)
    AFTER THAT YOU SHOULD GET A POPOU TELLING YOU TAHT YOU HAVE TO RESTORE YOUR IPOD CLIK ON THE RESTORE BUTTON THEN WAIT FOR A COUPLE OF SECONDS UNTIL YOUR IPHONE/ITOUCH SCREEN TURNS WHITE, WHEN YOUR SCREEN IS WHITE CLICK CTRL+ALT+SUPR AND KILL ITUNES.EXE
    YOUR IPOD SCREEN WILL STILL BE WHITE, DONT WORRY....
    OPEN ITUNES AGAIN AND CLICK ON THE RESTORE BUTTON AGAIN, AND JUST WAIT UNTIL IS RESTORED....YOUR IPHONE/ITOUCH NOW WILL BE FIXED AND YOU WON“T GET THE 1604 ERROR
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd October 2010 at 07:50 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread