+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Connecting to Exchange (SBS2003) by iPhone & Android. Strange problem. in Technical; Odd problem that I need to solve to get a teacher off my back. Two staff members have iPhone 3GS', ...
    Thank Post

Connecting to Exchange (SBS2003) by iPhone & Android. Strange problem.

Odd problem that I need to solve to get a teacher off my back.

Two staff members have iPhone 3GS', one connects to our Exchange box easily and straightforwardly, the other one refuses point-blank. I have an Android phone (2.1) that connects straighforwardly and without fuss.

Try as I might I cannot get the second iPhone to connect. It has the same mailbox settings as the other one and as my phone. It appears to verify the settings when the account is first set up but then all attempts to connect to actually fetch mail do not succeed.

Both users have the same mailbox settings on the SBS box so far as I can see.

In desperation, I ask here, is there anything that I can check, either on the phone or the server that I might have missed here? The teacher with the second iPhone is really miffed about this and is constantly sniping at me to sort it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are saying that the one iPhone works and the other iPhone isn't, to rule out it being the iPhone have you tried Adding the persons email account which does work? if that does work that it means it would be an account related issue i would imagine, if it doesn't work then check the version of the firmware? maybe try updating it.

I have various companys using iPhones to Sync mail for both SBS2003 and SBS2008, and to be honest i have never known it to be a problem unless OMA gets shafted!

James.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, the staff member whose iPhone does sync is the head and he won't allow anyone else to connect to his mailbox.

The non-working iPhone is bang up to date re: software, so I'm informed.

My money is on the phone I must say. I'd like to reset it to default and start from scratch but she won't let me.

Thank Post
    I mean, logically, it has to be the phone. All the user mailbox and account settings appear to be identical and all are set up for the same level of external access with the same permissions, etc. It can't really be anything else can it, just grasping at straws.

Thank Post
    not sure if it works with 2003, but you could try testing their account with https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ which has helped us resolve various problems with external user connectivity in Exchange 2010.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    not sure if it works with 2003, but you could try testing their account with https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ which has helped us resolve various problems with external user connectivity in Exchange 2010.
    It does work with Exchange 2007/10 and I believe 2003 works okay with it too, just that obviously some tests won't be required.

I'd say it is the handset personally to be honest, can you try adding another account to the iPhone? i.e. a test account maybe?

James.

Thank Post
    how are you conencting? GRPS or wireless? Orange used to have problems connecting to some exchange server's because of the way it handed the https protocol.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    how are you conencting? GRPS or wireless? Orange used to have problems connecting to some exchange server's because of the way it handed the https protocol.
    I am on Orange and have never had this problem, and I connect to a mixture of environments, you are right there was a problem I believe all that is sorted now and works sweet?

James.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried YOUR account?

If it works on Android 2.1, then it should be fine on the iPhone.

My guess is that the apple rubbish is at fault!

("The apple rubbish" is MY opinion, and should not be taken seriously!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Have you tried YOUR account?

If it works on Android 2.1, then it should be fine on the iPhone.

My guess is that the apple rubbish is at fault!

("The apple rubbish" is MY opinion, and should not be taken seriously!)
    I'm taking it seriously arrgggg!!!! arrgggg!!!!! ;-) joke!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My Android phone took the exchange settings straight away...............

I know that's not much help, but it's gotta be another nail in the iPhoney's coffin, hasn't it???

LOL!!!

Thank Post
    Had similar problems with our head's iPhone. Ensure it is fully up to date (v4.1 8B117) and it should work fine. Failing that try installing the following profile via the phone and re set-up the connection.

iOS 4.0: Exchange Mail, Contacts, or Calendars may not sync after update

Worked on another iPhone here...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have found that the iphone 3g can be a pain with exchange. But the 3Gs and 4 seem to work just fine.

Is it a 3g?

Thank Post
    Right

Sorry I've been away from this for a while. Way too many things to do!

Anyway, thank you all very much for the replies to date but I'm still pulling out what's left of my grey hair - here's the current situation, with a full refresh so everything is in this one post.

Environment - SBS 2003, fully patched and up to date.
    All mailboxes set up by exactly the same "add user" process wizard on SBS

Phones in question - 2 x iPhone 3GS, both fully up to date and 1 x android 2.1 handset (mine)

1 x iPhone connects to Head's account with no problem.

1 x Android connects to my account with no problem

1 x iPhone will set up and verify the other user's account but when trying to retrieve mail it gives the "connection to the server failed" message.

Now then.... this last iPhone will connect to the Head's account with no problem, i just set it up this morning. No problem whatsoever.

It will not connect to the users own mailbox and neither will it connect to a brand new mailbox that I just set up on the system. Same "connection to the server failed" message on both.

I have been through the user and mailbox settings this morning and I can see no difference at all between the setup of the Head's and the problem user's account, same permissions, group memberships, etc.

There has to be something in the user setup, or the IIS settings that I'm missing. I know now that it's not the phone that's the problem. I'm also assuming that it can't really be the IIS or ActiveSync settings at fault as, surely, there's only one setting that applies to all users?

Does anyone know of a guide to checking all the relevant user, mailbox, IIS, ActiveSync, etc settings on a per user basis. There is a company that claims to be able to sort all such problems out for a reasonable flat fee, so they're my last resort, but I'd absolutely hate it if they found something really simple that was a facepalm moment for me! However, if they can do it then there has to be a simple methodology of resolving the issue.

Is anyone able to offer any further suggestions? There could well be a pint or three in it for anyone who can sort this for me!

Thank Post
    This is becoming an obsession. I've spent most of the day researching this, but now I must go and do something else.

What I have found is this error message in the event log when the iPhone attempts to connect:
    Last edited by Number6; 9th October 2010 at 06:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast