+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Witstech A81E and CoPilot Live 8 in Technical; As part of my 'car-puter' project I've got my hands on a 7" Witstech A81E tablet running Android 2.2 ( ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Witstech A81E and CoPilot Live 8

As part of my 'car-puter' project I've got my hands on a 7" Witstech A81E tablet running Android 2.2 (Witstech A81E - Wiki). I'll do a full review in the near future as there currenly seems to be only one out there and it's a bit biased as it was based on a pre-production version (not to mention badly written!)

I got this one as it has a built in GPS and can accomodate a 16GB Micro SD card for holding apps and music etc. One problem I came accross early on was that whilst it has teh 'limited' Android Market available and my paid for CoPilot Live 8 was visable for download it refused to install correctly as it was version 8.2.0.280 and it gave the 'cannot load library' error when installing. To get around this I carried out the following steps. Please note you will need a fully licenced version of CoPilot installed to another Android device to make it work, and a copy of the older CoPilot 8.2.0.218 installer. It may be able to run on earlier versions, but I haven't tried this out with them. And once completed now have it connecting to CoPilot Central 2.0 and updating contect such as voices and maps etc.

1. Mount your Android device that you currently have CoPilot installed onto via USB and back it up using CoPilot central. Once backed up close CoPilot Central.
    2. Copy the folders 'copilot' and 'sdcard' to your desktop or a safe location.
    3. Plug in the A81E and mount the SD card via USB.
    4. Copy the CoPilot 8.2.0.218 installer (apk file) to a suitable folder on the device (I created one called 'apps')
    5. Unmount the device and install CoPilot 8.2.0.218 using an app installer such as 'Apk Manager'. Do NOT run CoPilot once installed. All that will happen is that it will get to the 'choose voice' screen and not allow you to continue.
    6. Reboot the A81E (not really essential, but just to be safe).
    7. Remount the device and copy the 'copilot' and 'sdcard' folders to the SD card.
    8. Unmount the device and start CoPilot. It will unpack a few files, but otherwise should run fine.
    9. Try connecting it to CoPilot Central. If sucessful you should be able to download updates for it. Do NOT update the core program as it will fail to load again.

The only issue I have found so far is that some of the setting screens do not work correctly and voices tend to get cut off. I'm currently looking at a work around, but otherwise it will let you input destinations, displays correctly and does what I (so far) intended it to do. Now I just have to wait on the car mounting bracket to arrive and it will replace my Garmin Nuvi and iPod Touch as an all in one car device.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 16th September 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *UPDATE*

I've just got the latest 8.2.0.308 version to install and register\activate correctly over wi-fi, so you can assume it is safe to install. I did this by uninstalling the .218 version first then running the 308 apk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread