+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Samsung Tab - How much!!!!!!! in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Samsung Tab - How much!!!!!!!

I've been holding back for one of these, but hells bells. It's an Android device!! It shouldn't be as expensive as an iPad!!

The Samsung Tab gets a price, pre-orders, and launch date – Android and Me

With all the news on the Samsung Tab today, most of you are probably wondering how much you’ll need to save up or order to get your hands on one. Samsung was a bit hesitant to announce a retail price since they are going to be focusing their launch of the Tab with service providers across Europe, but that has not stopped third party retailers from posting up their own prices for the Android powered tablet.

Currently, prices across mainland Europe are ranging from €699 ($890) to €799 ($1,020) and UK retaler Expansys is taking pre-orders for the Samsung Tab for £680 ($1,050), noting that the Tab will be available on October 11th. The price may appear pretty steep, but it is in line with what the 3G equipped iPad is going for across Europe. We’d also like to remind you that the prices being listed include VAT (value added tax) which is right around the 19-20% mark. While most Android fans seem more willing to pay a premium price for the best Android tablet, we’re pretty sure they will all scoff if the price tag is higher than what Apple is charging for the iPad.

Those who are really interested in getting the Samsung Tab will most likely opt in on carrier discounts when the tablet is purchased with a qualifying monthly data plan, but we’re still hoping that Samsung will be launching a Wi-Fi only version of the Tab for those who simply can’t afford another monthly bill. If these prices for the Galaxy Tab turn out to be real, we’d expect potential customers will simply settle for a competing Android tablet which may not all the features and polish that the Tab has to offer.

How many of you would be willing to shell out nearly $1,000 for the Samsung Tab?
    Search Results for: "samsung tab" - eXpansys UK

Still, I could sell one of the kids...........

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    More expensive because it's better

The Reg has this as well - http://www.reghardware.com/2010/09/0...axy_tab_sales/

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yikes, better cross that off my birthday pressie list then. I've already got an iPad so I guess I can't justify the tab as well.

Although I have been following the German contender the WeTab which is looking good and getting a lot of interest in Germany:

Amazon Linky

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Yikes, better cross that off my birthday pressie list then. I've already got an iPad so I guess I can't justify the tab as well.

Although I have been following the German contender the WeTab which is looking good and getting a lot of interest in Germany:

Amazon Linky
    My respect for you just went down a notch

The tab looks good but its a bit early for unlocked prices yet to turn up tbh so I would hope it would drop when its actually out. Also windows based ones should hopefully be shown of before the end of the year.
    The tab, I *think* can make calls at least for the price unlike the fat itouch that is the ipad.

Thank Post
    And still no sign of an Ubuntu based Tablet. Why has Android been allowed to steal Ubuntu's limelight?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Android is lighter and faster and is Linux based IIRC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plus, in terms of mobile technologies, Android was designed for it, ubuntu was not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    All a complete waste of money and effort if you ask me. The amount of useless tat on the market is quite astonishing that people buy. These things don't benefit education / home use or anything - a complete waste of time and money and yet another fashion fad which will fade away into a bin somewhere in which some poor sod from a third world country will end up getting lead poisoning when trying to pull off parts so he / she can feed their family for a day.

9. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (8th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    All a complete waste of money and effort if you ask me. The amount of useless tat on the market is quite astonishing that people buy. These things don't benefit education / home use or anything - a complete waste of time and money and yet another fashion fad which will fade away into a bin somewhere in which some poor sod from a third world country will end up getting lead poisoning when trying to pull off parts so he / she can feed their family for a day.
    I agree with you there....but only up to a point. For teh casual user they really don't offer much, but for someone like me who uses them to run their business when out of the office, and for an all-in-on travel companion (see teh car-puter thread) it fits the bill perfectly. And yes, we really do navigate by our phones, on foot, when in strange towns, consult tube maps and look up restraunts and local info on them. If you are like Shuan, a 7" tablet can help you with your remote server management (he fixes EduGeek via his iPhone at times!). These devices are useful, but only to a point.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This device, the Viewsonic ViewPad 7 is coming out in October as well, and is available on eBay (pre-order) for £380.

Shame it's only got a 600Mhz processor.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just like netbooks after the EeePC, I think we'll see the non-Apple tablet market settle out with sensible pricing and decent spec in the next 6-12 months. There are some promising devices, with useful additional features such as memory card slots, VGA-out and webcams. I think a 10" screen would be about the right size, once you get down to about 7" you're getting closer to a mobile phone.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    My respect for you just went down a notch...

Lol, don't worry I didn't buy the iPad for myself - I've got it as part of a community project. Best 'freebie' I've got my hands on for a while...

Thank Post
    Does it matter ? Will your life be so much better with them ? Seriously ask yourself that question - to me it's a case of buying it for the sake of buying it. I've have got rid of so much of the crapness when it comes to the 'tech' in my life recently and you know what I feel so much better for it. The Tom Tom has gone [ it was kak anyhoo ] - give me a map any day of the week - but I could say I am biased as I did quite a bit of map reading skills when working up in North Wales.
    I now only have one laptop [ an old Dell D610 ] which me and missues use - the boys have old RM laptops I rescued from the skip and have a heavily cut down verion of XP which runs super quick.
    The only other bit of kit I have is my new camera but that's purely enjoyment and hobby based.
    All the other gadgets and stuff I had I have got rid of - I now spend much more quality time either reading or just listening to some music or the radio.
    I'm fed up with technology, I'm fed up with money ****** up the wall where I work on complete and utter **** which is not used properly, I'm fed up with morons telling me how it's going to benefit the kids when clearly it doesn't - whats the point ? It's not going to do anyone any good, it's pointless. Even programming is pointless with the amount of memory and resources you can use - I get more of a kick getting my code under a meg than knocking up some super duper gx related .net clap trap which is over engineered garbage.
    And yes I have been drinking this evening - quite a bit.

Christ I wish I was someone else sometimes - I have qualifications in subjects which have no baring on the crap world of IT and there I am semi running an IT department - madness I tell you.
    Today I spent an hour getting the bees ready for the winter, feeding and checking them etc - I achieved more in that hour than I have done this week so far with the complete and utter b***ox that ICT chucks in my direction.
    /RANT OVER
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 9th September 2010 at 09:58 AM.

Thank Post
    The Ubuntu Notebook Remix would be ideal on a Tablet. I realise that Android was specifically designed to work on mobile devices. My moan is that Canonical or some other bright sparks didn't see this coming, and created something to work on Tablets.

Mattx, I'd go and stroke your Gerbil if I was you. Less the tension out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    The Ubuntu Notebook Remix would be ideal on a Tablet. I realise that Android was specifically designed to work on mobile devices. My moan is that Canonical or some other bright sparks didn't see this coming, and created something to work on Tablets.

Mattx, I'd go and stroke your Gerbil if I was you. Less the tension out.
    I would but she's hiding in the corner.........
    I'll have even more of an excuse to drink this evening now - I sorted a computer out for one of the members of staff who wa so delighted at it being faster and rid of all the nasties I now have 2 more bottles of Chillian Red in my possession.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast