+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Which Android phone? in Technical; Fancy getting an Android phone. I've had a Samsung G600 for a while now, decent enough as a phone, but ...
    Thank Post

Which Android phone?

Fancy getting an Android phone. I've had a Samsung G600 for a while now, decent enough as a phone, but time for a change to something more geeky. The Sony Ericsson X10 is currently at the top of my list, but I'd like to get the Edugeek opinion...

My primary requirements are a decent outdoors camera and geeky goodness. I'm not into social networking so don't care if phone has some "special" apps for it.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Hey Gerry,

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S (I9000).

It is simply amazing, best screen (better even than the new iPhone for colour if not quite as high res). It does everything you could want.

I have in syncing with our exchange server and it has a huge 4" screen with a great new way of typing call swype. very intuative!

Just do a google search for "Samsung Galaxy S vs..." then any other phone and you will see the good reviews for yourself. Typically the reviews compare it to the HTC Desire, IPhone 4 and Sony Ericsson X10.

Let me know how you get on!

Thank Post
    I'm with JonnyAcousti.... just got a Galaxy S and it is awesome. My only criticisms are that it is a little plasticy and looks a little too much like a Jesus Phone bit it's brill! I know somebody that got a X10 and they hated it... it went back and was swapped for a Galaxy S which they currently love!

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    How about the Motorola Droid, it's on my list of possibles

Thank Post
    Just added Galaxy to my list of possibilities. Look like similar spec to X10, though I think X10 has the better camera. TV out on the Galaxy sounds good though! How about the GPS on the Galaxy? Looks like the X10 comes with WisePilot Nav software, whereas the Galaxy relies on Google Maps?

Thank Post
    HTC Desire!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    HTC Desire!
    Incidentally... HTC forced to swap from AMOLED to SLCD displays News - PC Advisor

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Hmm, that actually looks a good move as they use less power and are just as good visually as the amoled screens.

Thank Post
    The Galaxy and X10 are neck-and-neck on my list so far. The Galaxy is more gadget pr0n (therefore more expensive), while the X10 has the better camera (and cheaper)... I'd still like to know what the SatNav is like with the Galaxy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    The Galaxy and X10 are neck-and-neck on my list so far. The Galaxy is more gadget pr0n (therefore more expensive), while the X10 has the better camera (and cheaper)... I'd still like to know what the SatNav is like with the Galaxy.
    I used the Sat Nav on my Galaxy last weekend. The voice is a little mechanical but it worked fine especially in the Google Navigation (traditional Sat Nav view - rather than the top down map view). You can zoom in/out (and it will do anyway when you speed up and slow down) and even overlay satellite images so you can see the roofs of the houses you drive past. It took me a while to get used to it and probably shouldn't be recommended unless you have an unlimited data plan! Pic below:

http://www.navigadget.com/wp-content...navigation.jpg

I also used the Galaxy camera and the HD video is very impressive and colours are great. I haven't really used the still camera yet but the reviews say "it could do with a flash but most phone camera flashes are next to useless and the Galaxy copes better than expected despite this".

The Xperia also comes with those Timescape and Mediascape whcih look quite good for Twitter and Facebook addicts. Although OS mods usually mean that it will be slower to take on Android OS updates to take it from 1.6 at the moment. The Galaxy runs on 2.1 and is promised an upgrade to Froyo 2.2 probably by the end of the year.

I would call into a phone shop and have a play with them. Thats probably the only way of making a properly informed decision.
    Last edited by JonnyAcousti; 27th July 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I happen to have posted a picture at http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind...nt-fathom.html that was taken with my Galaxy S today.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread