+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Bigger than a netbook, but only just in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Bigger than a netbook, but only just

Looking to buy the wife a small laptop computer to replace the ageing Acer 'brick' we currently have.

I don't want a netbook as I think they are just a bit too small a screen for what she does - plays Scrabble, Facebook, Kays and looking for holidays!

I need a well built, fairly robust bit of kit, good screen that isn't massive, but not a 10" netbook, nice keyboard etc. Should also run Windows XP or 7 as I've struggled long and hard to familiarise her with those, so a linux based offering is not really practical. Don't need oodles of USB ports, firewire would be good, but not essential.

Any recommendations please? I'd usually buy Acer or HP, but I'm so out of date on hardware spec (especially processors!) that I'm really not sure what is what these days.

No real consideration given to budget at this stage, but I would suggest under around the £400 - £500 mark, less if I can get the spec.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    No particular model in mind, but HP and most other brands have these "in between netbook and power laptop" jobbies now, like a 13 or 14". Full power too, not bottlenecked with 2GB RAM and a small atom processor.

Sony have tidy little devices but can be costly and a pain to do stuff with.

Worth considering a Macbook - small, light, funky if she can cope with how they work...

Thank Post
    Take a look at the Lenovo X100e

Thank Post
    Take a look at the HP dm3 - Athlon Neo processors (there should be a new model out soon though) 13.3" screen and under 2kg - runs Windows 7 perfectly with 2GB RAM

Thank Post
    HP Pavilion DM3 - £449

HP Laptops - HP Pavilion dm3-1060ea Entertainment Laptop

At around £500 you could probably wait for/find something with an i3 that would be much faster though. Lots of manufacturers are still in the progress of refreshing their cheaper line ups for the new chips.

Thank Post
    Would i5 CPU's (combined with dedicated graphics) be enough to run modern games (I'm think Call of Duty)? Wifey isn't the only one going to be using it, and if I'm going to get something half decent, I guess something capable of running games would be appropriate. Appreciate I am now probably asking for a different beast altogether of course.

Thank Post

Games

The I5 would certainly run most games ... my pc is a quad core 1.8 and does just that ... The graphics would be the decider in my opinion .. Any of the latest Nvdia or ATI boards should suffice .. Avoid any of the downtuned varieties though ....
    My previous 9800gtx ran everything I threw at it exept Crysis at full res ... Beware .. these boards run hot !! make sure you dont obstruct the air intake underneath ... I blew a board on a laptop before because of heat ...

Thank Post
    Running COD at a decent frame rate is a bit outside of your budget. You will need at least an i3 and a dedicated graphics card. One of the cheapest 13-14" laptops you will find a dedicated graphics card in are the ASUS U30Jc/U33Jc/U35Jc and UL30Jt/80Jt. U35Jc being the cheapest at £650 with no cd drive. It's still pretty light gaming with a GF310M but much better than integrated. For proper gaming you will need a 330M or HD5650 and better, then its over £800.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Sony have tidy little devices but can be costly and a pain to do stuff with.

Worth considering a Macbook - small, light, funky if she can cope with how they work...
    LMAO, so you suggest Sony are overpriced then list a macbook as an option.... Also note w7 is a requirement in the OP thus no OSX without buying w7 as well.
    That and OSX is pretty flaky for me...

Dell have a few 13" models.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexIvanov View Post
    hmmm
    so providing impartial independent advise is classed as advertising?
    Well, didn't see your original post, but anyway, your signature and using you company logo as your avatar is definitely advertising.

Thank Post
    Finally settled on an ACER AS4810TZG from Comet. Thanks for all the info anyway folks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread