+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPhone 4 aerial issues? in Technical; Originally Posted by rush_tech Signals Sweet over here. Is that right over ear? (as opposed to left over ear where ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech View Post
    Signals Sweet over here.
    Is that right over ear?

(as opposed to left over ear where there's no signal?)

Thank Post
    Motorola advert revels in anti-iPhone schadenfreude ? The Register

Motorola tacking the mickey about its double antenna design allowing you to hold your phone in any way you like. LMAO.

And nokia got in on it too.

Thank Post
    I see Apple have issued an official update regarding the issue. Seems they reckon it can be fixed by a 'software udpate'? Doesn't really sound particularly feasible IMO that a software update could fix the reported issues with the antenna.

Apple denies iPhone 4 antenna glitch, blames inaccurate signal bars ? The Register

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.

For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 2nd July 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I see Apple have issued an official update regarding the issue. Seems they reckon it can be fixed by a 'software udpate'? Doesn't really sound particularly feasible IMO that a software update could fix the reported issues with the antenna.

Apple denies iPhone 4 antenna glitch, blames inaccurate signal bars ? The Register

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.

For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they donít know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&Tís recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhoneís bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.
    a 'software update' is more agreeable to shareholders than 'product recall'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The latest episode of Futurama S06E03 Attack of the Killer App is all about the eyePhone and is criminally funny, I recomend watching it at your earlyiest possible convenience unless you are an ardent Mac fan.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

tmcd35 (2nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hehe. I wonder how many Apple fanboys will actually believe that fairytale story about the bars formulae.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've found that by holding my iPhone4 in my bum-crack I don't have any signal problems....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I've found that by holding my iPhone4 in my bum-crack I don't have any signal problems....
    If you're putting your phone there then you sure do have problems, they may not be signal problems, but...

11. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

tech_guy (3rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If you're putting your phone there then you sure do have problems, they may not be signal problems, butt...
    Butt is the right word

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456