+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android in Technical; Originally Posted by webman I'm staggered by the number of people who don't/can't have a simple default gateway set up ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I'm staggered by the number of people who don't/can't have a simple default gateway set up on the network.

@Russdev If you take into consideration more than just the issue of proxy server, I reckon that score will soon begin to tip in Android's favour; considering how locked-down the iPhone is.
    I was trolling there in joke hence the troll

Interface still seems very clumsy compared to Iphone but is better than windows mobile 6..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuntu View Post
    how about something like this:
    Multi-functional Firewall Software - Open Source Content Filter & Spam Filter | Untangle.com ?
    nobody said any thing about unauthenticated
    So, let me get this straight. According to you, you reckon google wants it to be easy for users to get on with minimal configuration. So, instead of having them enter their proxy settings on the wifi connection, instead, they have to enter their details on a captive portal instead.

Seems remarkably like just moving the configuration around a bit to me...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @Russdev If you take into consideration more than just the issue of proxy server, I reckon that score will soon begin to tip in Android's favour; considering how locked-down the iPhone is.
    I second that, in fact proxy is the only point I'd give iPhone over Android

Thank Post
    but surely there's big difference in automagically presenting the user with a web page asking for their username and password versus having the users going to tools>settings>advanced>network, typing the proxy and port number (based on the firefox path)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    but surely there's big difference in automagically presenting the user with a web page asking for their username and password versus having the users going to tools>settings>advanced>network, typing the proxy and port number (based on the firefox path)
    Slight correction to that. 'automatically presenting the user with a web page asking for their username and password EVERY time they connect to the wireless network' rather than it just being stored in the settings... Me? I'd prefer to join a wireless network, and on the screen which asks for the wpa key or whatever there be an 'optional: proxy?' settings pane...

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

LosOjos (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    oh dear not a good start Iphone 1 - Andriod 0
    Its the only goal you'll score so enjoy the moment

The Apple UI is still better because that's number one item for them and they do it well

But Android/WM is like BMW/Lada comparision

regards

Simon
    PS Actually - another goal might be the snooze on whatever calendar app comes on the IPhone - the google cal one is rubbish!
    But your looking at minor diffs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Its the only goal you'll score so enjoy the moment

The Apple UI is still better because that's number one item for them and they do it well

But Android/WM is like BMW/Lada comparision

regards

Simon
    PS Actually - another goal might be the snooze on whatever calendar app comes on the IPhone - the google cal one is rubbish!
    But your looking at minor diffs
    What you have to remember also is, iPhone is what it is and that's it, with Android, you can change pretty much whatever you want to to suit your needs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    S EVERY time they connect to the wireless network' rather than it just being stored in the settings[/QOUTE]

what about the 'remember my username and password' button?

[QOUTE] Me? I'd prefer to join a wireless network, and on the screen which asks for the wpa key or whatever there be an 'optional: proxy?' settings pane...
    you're not thinking as an end user though - nearly all of whom don't know what a proxy is

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you're not thinking as an end user though - nearly all of whom don't know what a proxy is
    So they wouldn't tick the box?! Internet explorer has had a proxy option for decades, my phone 10 years ago had an option for proxies, there is simply no excuse. If people didn't know what it was, they wouldn't even notice it. Its simple HCI!

An analogy for you. Many people buy fancy cars like the Audi A4 and the like. Many of those people will never fiddle with all the different drive settings such as sports modes etc... That's no excuse to not have them though.

If we extended the idea of keeping things simple to everything in life, we'd end up with TVs with 1 channel, broadcasting the teletubbies 24 hours a day...
    Last edited by localzuk; 17th June 2010 at 01:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Internet explorer has had a proxy option for decades!
    which is awesome if you use internet explorer

Thank Post
    That is a fair point, but there's really no justifying removing such a basic and global function as proxy settings. Plus there are always techies available at work and I've never met anybody yet who would think twice about going to their nearest techie and asking why they can't connect, at which point they enter the proxy details for them and the job's a good un, no forgotten usernames or passwords to contend with

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    which is awesome if you use internet explorer
    You missed my point. The setting is there, and it spent a decade at the top of the pack. People didn't find that setting and run away screaming or have their heads suddenly implode...

Thank Post
    You missed my point. The setting is there, and it spent a decade at the top of the pack. People didn't find that setting and run away screaming or have their heads suddenly implode...
    true but then how many people knew it was there? and how many of them had it quietly set via group policy or ISA? With heterogeneous environments control at an OS level is a luxury

Thank Post
    I agree, I was a bit dissapointed that there was no Proxy setting available on Android.
    There are ways around it, as was posted earlier in their thread, but they're not as easy as having a simple user interface for it, which yes, really, should be there.

It's not like it stops you using the web completely - chances are if you have an Android phone you have an unlimited data transfer deal meaning you can still have all the internet access you want as part of your contract anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    true but then how many people knew it was there? and how many of them had it quietly set via group policy or ISA? With heterogeneous environments control at an OS level is a luxury
    Not really. Control at OS level has been how computers have been configured since they became popular as desktop machines. It is only very recently when companies started dictating that we can't have certain features because they're not simple enough for Fred the Idiot down the road...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast