+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC Desire collecting emails in Technical; I've set up my phone to access my Lancs school acouunt via POP but although I think I've set it ...

Thank Post

HTC Desire collecting emails

I've set up my phone to access my Lancs school acouunt via POP but although I think I've set it to collect emails every 15 mins - it doesn't seem to do so unless I switch to the app. (But I need it to collect it as I use my work account address for emailing me helpdesk issues)

Anyone else got this problem (or know what I need to do to get it to work?)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I've set up my phone to access my Lancs school acouunt via POP but although I think I've set it to collect emails every 15 mins - it doesn't seem to do so unless I switch to the app. (But I need it to collect it as I use my work account address for emailing me helpdesk issues)

Anyone else got this problem (or know what I need to do to get it to work?)

regards

Simon
    Got mine working fine on POP and ActiveSync (seperate accounts).

Have you checked that you have your peak time settings all set up?

Go to the Mail app, press menu key then go to "More > Send & Receive > Set Download Frequency" and check that you have set the peak time and off peak time frequency settings.

EDIT: Oh, and although it may seem obvious, bare in mind it'll only work if you have a data signal or WiFi connection (if your school uses proxy to connect to the internet though, you won't be able to retrieve email over the school WiFi as there is no proxy support in Android 2.1)

Thank Post
    ave you checked that you have your peak time settings all set up?
    Yep - peak is 0800 - 2000 and set to download every 5 mins

The thing I do't understand is the option below it that says download options - what have you got your set to?

bare in mind it'll only work if you have a data signal
    Yep - always good to check the basics with me
    Don't have the wi-fi switched on due to the proxy issue (can't believe the lack of proxy - I thought WM6 was bad to use it but at least it had the aility to do it!)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    The thing I do't understand is the option below it that says download options - what have you got your set to?
    The download options are basically filters to cut down the number of emails/amount of memory used on your phone - anything not meeting the criteria is removed if it was previously downloaded.

"By Days" lets you set a filter for how many days worth of emails to download & display, I set mine to this with the filter on "Today's", so only emails received today will be displayed, the following day they'll disappear and only that days emails will be displayed.

"By number of emails" lets you filter based on how many emails you want stored, newest to oldest until it reaches your specified amount, at which point it'll delete the oldest email (from your phone only) to make room for newer ones.

Both have an option for "All", which as it suggests simply downloads anything in your mailbox.

The proxy issue is a real pain, and it doesn't look like they've fixed it for 2.2/Froyo either, although the buzz is that the new JIT compiler boosts speed by around 500%, which is pretty cool plus they're adding zoom to the camera and making a few other tweaks I can't remember off the top of my head... still no mention of proxy though...

Thank Post
    Well -it worked with setting it to 5 min and its worked on 10 min - going to try it out on 30 mins and see if that works.

(I think I must have had something not ticked properly but in checking things I seemed to have kicked it into life!)

Ta for the other info though - I couldn't work out what it wanted

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I have to say my nexus one using a pop account is not very good, sometimes it goes a couple of hours without telling me i have any emails then 2 mins later it tells me i have like 10! My exchange account using active sync is quicker then outlook!

7. Thanks to glennda from:

SimpleSi (26th May 2010)

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I got a HTC HD2 a few weeks ago...........got my work emailing working on it through Exchange and then got my personal going through exchange but use it as POP on phone.

Thank Post
    I use IMAP for GMail and POP for any others. If I need to see work emails I just go via our OWA as I'm static on one site. One thing not mentioned above was the tiny syncronise button at the bottom which just takes a few seconds to complete.

Thank Post
    Well it worked flawlessly until I had to power cycle it to get the new Google Maps navigation feature to show up and then it didn't collect emails until I'd manually started the app.

Is there a way of setting apps to autostart in Android on power up?

One thing not mentioned above was the tiny syncronise button at the bottom which just takes a few seconds to complete.
    What/whre tiny button?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Sorry - my mistake - it's at the top left next to the time it was last syncronised.

Thank Post
    Well - its completely failed to alert me this afternoon with 4 emails sent to my school account.

They only appeared after I manually started the email app and waited for it to sync

I rely on email alerts from my helpdesk software so this is very very annoying - if I can't get his sorted over half-term I'm going to have tp carry around my old Omnia just to receive them

Simon

Thank Post
    I think i've found the solution - stop using the mail client!

I didn't realise that Gmail (I use hotmail for for main personal account) could be set to collect from a POP3 account so I set that up (on my computer in gmail - settings - accounts and import - add pop3 email account) last night and helpdesk messages have arrived OK this morning.

Another advantage is that you can have a different alert tone for GMail msgs whereas the mail client uses standard system one

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Gmail has it's own app too with a few extra features over the normal Mail app, it's pre-installed on your Desire

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread