Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Spreadsheet to Blackberry (or other device) in Technical; Guessing this is as good a place as any, but was torn between 2/3 different areas to stick it in. ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Spreadsheet to Blackberry (or other device)

Guessing this is as good a place as any, but was torn between 2/3 different areas to stick it in.

What I have been asked to do is see if it is possible to get a solution whereby we could possibly get a blackberry for our PE staff which would be for school use and contain a copy of contact details in an encrypted spreadsheet of some kind which, when the phone was plugged into charge on the computer (having confiscated the power adapter) would automatically syncronise said spreadsheet to ensure it was up to date. Said spreadsheet would also be password protected.

Having a quick look, potentially Documents to Go on blackberry would do this however as it seems to be per user might have a bit of a faff getting it to syncronise properly when no one is logged on.

Anyone have anything similar or point me in the direction of a better way go? Doesn't have to be a blackberry by any means as long as it can charge off the computer and automatically syncronise the said documents from a network drive and would allow a password protected document to be used.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're doing, but I'd have thought any Windows Mobile Pro device would be better with ActiveSync and Excel support.

3. Thanks to nadeem from:

Cache (3rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never gave Windows Mobile a thought actually. Thanks.

Might help if I explained specifically what they are after rather then the babbling in the first post.

The idea is a password protected spreadsheet is stored in a directory on the server and contains contact and medical details for those going out on a sports fixture or school trip. Spreadsheet is updated by the office and by forcing whoever holds the mobile to charge it up using the computer, hopefully with some system we should be able to automatically sync the spreadsheet across to the mobile so that they have the details of whoever they need should they need them.

Cheers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread