+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Play iPhone through Car Stereo? in Technical; I have an iPhone 3GS and drive a Toyota Avensis S (2000). It comes with a stock Toyota CD Player. ...
    Thank Post

Play iPhone through Car Stereo?

I have an iPhone 3GS and drive a Toyota Avensis S (2000). It comes with a stock Toyota CD Player. No MP3s or anything fancy. Just bog standard CDs. Is there anyway I can play my iPhone through the car stereo? Ideally I just want to be able to play the MP3s. Making and receiving phone calls would be a bonus, but I want a cheap and cheerful solution so just the MP3s through the speakers would be fine. Any ideas what would be the easiest and cheapest way to do this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    a few options.

there's FM transmitters available, that will attach to the ipod and play it over a fm band, so you just tune your stereo to the frequency. Quality tends to be dodgy though

You could take the head out and see if you've a phono input - did that for the girlfriend recently, and run a phono - single jack cable into her glovebox for her to plug her iPod into.

The other option, and possibly the best, would be to drop 100quid on one of these - Sony MEX-BT2700 CD/Bluetooth Receiver from Halfords Was £159.99 Save £60.09 Price £99.90 "Clearance! Available in selected stores only. While stocks last!" bluetooth handsfree calls, bluetooth streaming music and a jack input on the front even put one in for my mother and she loves it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have an Alpine BT113 in my car (Alpine-Headunits-CDE-113BT) which connect directly to my iPod via the iPod interface acle allowign me to control it via the stereo. The unit also has built in Parrot Bluetooth which is nice. if you are on a budget though you can invest in a wrieless sender such as this one: Griffin Road Trip FM Transmitter from Halfords Was £58.71 Save £28.71 Price £30.00
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 16th February 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Sorry for the n00b question, but if I use a FM Transmitter, can other people not tune in to the same frequencies? And does the FM Transmitter cut out if I receive a phone call? Don't want that going out over FM!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    hopefully not hijacking your thread but I have the pioneer DEH-BT7100 just curious is there a better usb cable I could buy or get to use with it as the one that comes with it is a bit on the long side

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Sorry for the n00b question, but if I use a FM Transmitter, can other people not tune in to the same frequencies? And does the FM Transmitter cut out if I receive a phone call? Don't want that going out over FM!
    The transmission power of the unit is very low, it most likely can't be received from more than a few feet (just enough to reach your aerial!). Usually the transmitters have nothing to do with the phone system, only the MP3 player side.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to use an FM transmitter and to be honest I found them quiet troublesome. You're first challenge is finding a free fequency to transmit over. Then when you go on a drive of any distance (say around the M25) you get other cars with FM transmitters on the same frequency overtaking and their music bleeding through. You turn a corner and suddenly a local radio station uses that frequency and it's time for a retune. Aaagghhhh!

Lucky my radio has a 3.5mm aux socket so I just use that failing that I'd buy a cheap cassette based radio and a cassette adapter.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Did you have a Usb from your iphone? i think you can play your iphone to your car stereo by putting Usb..and if your usb have lots of files like mp3 musics..right?

Thank Post
    You could try this, I've got one in my mazda 6 \o/ works a treat
    Search results::XCarLink

Thank Post
    I bought a kit recently from an estabilshed card audio shop who have an ebay shop.

It would of course depend on if the head unit in your Toyota and if it will take the kind of connection I linked above.

FM Transmitters are utterly cack though. If you want poor quality audio that needs re-tuning constantly, it's the way to go! Even hard wired fm modulators aren't that brilliant to be honest, but still much better than a transmitter (the modulator takes an input from your MP3 player etc.. and send the signal directly into the ariel, doesn't transmit it).
    Last edited by Modey; 24th February 2010 at 08:33 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread