+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Dell laptops for teaching staff in Technical; Hello, As long time HP users, we are looking towards another manufacturer for the next load, as we've found some ...
    Thank Post

Dell laptops for teaching staff

Hello,

As long time HP users, we are looking towards another manufacturer for the next load, as we've found some problems with the last batches of HP machines.

We've never bought Dell before, so I'm not entirely sure what range to look at.

For comparison we have the HP B range of laptops (6715b, 6735b), is there a comparable Dell range?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Matt

Thank Post
    If it helps, I've also found the Toshiba Satellite Pro laptops to be amazing and pretty well built so there's also another make/model you can look at if you want to compare them to Dell pricing.

What sort of spec are you looking for?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Hello,

As long time HP users, we are looking towards another manufacturer for the next load, as we've found some problems with the last batches of HP machines.

We've never bought Dell before, so I'm not entirely sure what range to look at.

For comparison we have the HP B range of laptops (6715b, 6735b), is there a comparable Dell range?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Matt
    Dell Latitude Laptops | Dell United Kingdom

Take a look at the Lattitude range Matt , As a Dell reseller we would love to to help you with any info or quotes you may require so be sure to pm me your details,

Thank Post
    Personally we buy the Dell Latitude E5500 for staff. The Dell range is pretty easy to get to grips with though: Vostro are small business laptops/computers where as Latitude are business class laptops (Optiplex being business class desktops). Inspiron is for home users.

We have purchased vostro's, but try and stick to only Latitude/Optiplex models now since we find they tend to be based on better chipsets. We've had issues imaging some Vostros. Within the Latitude range the main laptops you'll be looking at are the E5400/E5500 and the E6400/E6500. The Ex400's have 14.1" screens and the Ex500's 15". Other then that the main difference between the E5x00 and E6x00 are weight and materials used in construction. E6x00 range is lighter, smaller and slightly better built (IMO) but costs more. The E5x00 isn't bad but it's a little bulky.

Other then these there's also the various speciality laptops (XT2 tablet, Latitude 2100 netbook etc).

Hope that helps!

Thank Post
    We have some 15 inch vostro's, and one 17 inch for a teacher with an eye problem. So far they have been great, nothing wrong with them. Look quite nice to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    If it helps, I've also found the Toshiba Satellite Pro laptops to be amazing and pretty well built so there's also another make/model you can look at if you want to compare them to Dell pricing.

What sort of spec are you looking for?
    We have had 3 lots the L40's and the A200's & A300's

The lot of them total crap, would never go with them. One we used in the office and the keys just fell off. we also had allot of problems with the power supply's. There are bits of thin flimsy plastic about the card slots on one range that breaks off in no time.

Never ever Toshiba again

We have had the Latitude D600' & D610 in the past. We currently have the Latitude D620 & D630 in circulation. All excellent.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 7th January 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it helps, I've also found the Toshiba Satellite Pro laptops to be amazing and pretty well built
    Ditto.
    I only buy Toshiba Sat Pros now as they have been amazing. Over the past three years I've not had a single failure - apart from one teacher who tripped and threw his across the room and in this case the support team were outstanding.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We have had 3 lots the L40's and the A200's & A300's

The lot of them total crap, would never go with them. One we used in the office and the keys just fell off. we also had allot of problems with the power supply's. There are bits of thin flimsy plastic about the card slots on one range that breaks off in no time.

Never ever Toshiba again
    Interesting. We've found the keys do come off but thats only if you get some bright spark remove them. As for the card slots, yes, agree, they do get damaged, but on the whole pretty good. Can withstand being dropped.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. We've found the keys do come off but thats only if you get some bright spark remove them. As for the card slots, yes, agree, they do get damaged, but on the whole pretty good. Can withstand being dropped.
    with the keys it was one 2 IT staff use including me so i know it wasnt abused.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    with the keys it was one 2 IT staff use including me so i know it wasnt abused.
    Fair enough. Not really found that and we have 64 of them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had 120 of the A200's 5 A300's and 20 L40's had all sorts with them. including failing hard drives, screens & keyboards. They are no longer in general circulation now

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been using and purchasing Dell laptops for years and have never had any issues with them that are not user 'invoked'. The Vostros are great machnes as you get a lot of laptop for very little money. Just ensure you up the basic warrenty (1 year RTB) if you opt for these.

Thank Post
    We have around 200 DELL Latitudes, plus some 50 or so DELL Vostros; we did have a problem with some early D520 power sockets on system boards but the system boards were all replaced under warranty and later models have additional strengthening. For me, what makes DELL worthwhile is the NBD onsite warranty, availability of spare parts, drivers, BIOS upgrades & general support.

By comparison, I always found Toshiba hard work when needing support.

We continue to purchase DELL notebooks in preference to anything else.

In the past if cost were not an issue I would have advocated IBM Thinkpad T series but I have not seen any of the latest Lenovo T series products so cannot compare these with systems like the earlier T61...

Thank Post
    Staff laptops are my current nightmare

We have a mixture of Toshiba sat pros and fujitsu, they are used constantly by staff, some not so carefully as others. The best laptops for least problems are the fujitsu lifebooks which are coming up to 4+ years old. I research each purchase but seem to still get some duff ones Two of the Toshiba laptops have had external display problems and have had to be repaired - a pcb glued back into place apparently. The grief I get from the staff when their laptops fail is unbelievable which compounds my stress over staff laptops (should be in 'red door' forum I think)

Anyway, back to the thread, will be looking for a few laptops this springtime so am wondering whether to buy cheap nasty ones and expect them to last 2 years or to go for higher quality with a 3 year onsite warrenty so the visiting repair person gets the grief, not me So I've visited the Dell site but the spec of laptops, vostro, is coming up at 550 is this the price I should be expecting buying a dell laptop?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    So I've visited the Dell site but the spec of laptops, vostro, is coming up at 550 is this the price I should be expecting buying a dell laptop?
    if you buy from dell yes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast