+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Does the telephone system fall under your remit? in Technical; Originally Posted by john Yup its under my hat as well like anything with a wire on it Same here, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Yup its under my hat as well like anything with a wire on it
    Same here, and the CCTV and the burglar alarm, and the heating, and the door system, and the.........

Thank Post
    In my last job I took on responsibility for the then LG GDK system when we couldn't get maintenance for it.. fairly scary thing to do with no help and no spare parts [not even ebay could help!]

Just as I was leaving, it was ditched and replaced with an Avaya IP Office 500 - an excellent system with a good outside support contract.

Thank Post
    I inherited the phone system with the changes in Business Manager/Network Manager. It's evolved from just checking wires to reprogramming voicemail boxes,extensions,etc.

It's a Mitel 3300 VoIP system, I've had zero training on it (but then thats nothing new) Recently I've also been given the phone line contracts to look after. I'm yet to get any of this added to my contract, and I'm not the Network Manager either

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Even the engineers who fitted our current system dont know how it works!, what cat in hell chance would I have.
    With today's advanced and sophisticated business telephone system companies should at least train its employees on how to properly use it effectively.

Thank Post
    yep it wasnt really supposed to but I wanted to go VOIP as playing around with ananlogue extns on an ancient system was a nightmare, now I have become the phone man

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget the handset as they can cost up to several hundred per set.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,976 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Don't forget the handset as they can cost up to several hundred per set.
    Unless you go down the 'cheap and cheerful' route of Asterisk + Grandstream/$budget voip handset route.

Then you end up with a cost of around £60 for a basic handset.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Unless you go down the 'cheap and cheerful' route of Asterisk + Grandstream/$budget voip handset route.

Then you end up with a cost of around £60 for a basic handset.
    my basic Avaya handsets cost me under £50 now

Thank Post
    Now that our new system is in place I'm also the phone man... its pretty much the same as IT - if theres a fault staff will whine and moan about it for a while until I over-hear a conversation in the staffroom about a phone on the other side of the site that isn't working

Its so much easier being able to make small changes myself rather than having to log a call with our provider and waiting for it to be actioned. It also came with some CTI software (OIP Server) which I'm having fun messing around with.

Thank Post
    Need to update My Phone system.. there are some FreePBX out there are Linux based, but freeswitch is linux (live CDS) and windows using wamp for web interface to config... Might try it,, for testing.. cheaper then cisco
    Last edited by Cools; 2nd February 2010 at 09:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Last year's summer project was to upgrade the ageing Panasonic phone system to add 25+ extensions to the 20 we had already. They got our phone guy in who wanted about £8k to upgrade the system to a panasonic digital system and run new extensions round to all the classrooms. We took the decision (and the plunge) to do it in house instead, so we decomissioned the old system and put in a complete new asterisk system. A scary prospect to start with, but we had some help from an external consultant who'd done this before, and apart from some teething troubles with echo on the external calls (mostly sorted out by enabling software echo cancellation) it all went very smoothly.

We now have 4 ISDN lines (2 * 2 channels) coming into our asterisk box to route external calls and 45 internal extensions - Linksys SPA901s in the classroom (basic models so the students don't tend to play with them) and SPA962s in the office, headmasters office and server room (nice 6 line models with full colour display). I'd recommend the Linksys models, very sturdy and the 962s are full featured.

The system is simplicity itself to manage, adding new extensions, moving phones setting up personal voicemail, even down to checking call activity logs is all very simple. International calls get routed out over a SIP line which is just our backup line currently (gets used if all 4 isdn channels are in use) until we can increase our bandwidth. Once this is done, I'd consider dropping the BT lines altogether and just using SIP - saving even more money.

It was a bit daunting to switch a pstn system over to VOIP to start with, but now we've done it, we wouldn't go back - the school saves a fortune on phone support costs now it's handled by us

TYO

Thank Post
    slighty off topic but who has to deal with faxes? Our fax has stop working and it has come under us to fix it. I have checked the lines working fine but we cannot send of receive faxes. short of just buying a new machine (this one is only a year old and just out of warrantee) I dont no what to do! happy friday!

Thank Post
    Our site mananager deals with all our phones. We currently use Nortell digital handsets although as us in IT need a cordless set so we can use one in the Server room we ourselves have analogue phones. All three of us wold like VOIP but havent got the budget.

nN

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123