+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Does the telephone system fall under your remit? in Technical; Yep, we look after the voIP stuff...
    Thank Post
    Yep, we look after the voIP stuff

Thank Post
    I'd love to be given 12k to get rid of the rubbish we have!

Back on topic - kind of me since I know how to reboot it when it goes wrong

Thank Post
    We had a normal PBX phone system, but i chose to put a VoIP system in and be responsable for it, having never touched VoIP before, it was very easy, and really enjoyed the project.

You could go banana's on 12,000. Get a server, install elastix (its cool!), configure voip phones to use it. We used an ISDN line to carry the outbound calls.

4. Thanks to Quackers from:

bandgeekmafia78 (2nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Yup its under my hat as well like anything with a wire on it

Thank Post
    Not at the moment. Our existing phone system is ancient and we've maxed out the number of extensions it can run. Currently looking at possible alternatives, although I haven't been told what our budget is yet

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yup, We look after our College Telephone System It's a simens HiPath System and it's pretty easy to administer. IF there are any faults we do have a company we pay a support contact too but we dont tend to use them much unless we need replacment phone or the system does actually Die!

James.

8. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    The current systems aren't quite in my remit but I've pretty much spec'd and ordered the new system being installed when we break up for xmas myself, The school lease the phone system over a 7 year period(about 5k/year for 2 systems)... I kind of volunteered myself to take it over as know one else had a clue about that sort of thing and the lease had been allowed to lapse without us getting a new system.

10. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Yup, We look after our College Telephone System It's a simens HiPath System and it's pretty easy to administer. IF there are any faults we do have a company we pay a support contact too but we dont tend to use them much unless we need replacment phone or the system does actually Die!

James.
    I was looking at the Siemens HiPath too. Looks quite good. Comes with some software called OpenScape - do you use it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeekmafia78 View Post
    I was looking at the Siemens HiPath too. Looks quite good. Comes with some software called OpenScape - do you use it?
    No we dont use that, buy saying that our system is quite old now it's running version 3 of the software and they are online version 7 (8 coming soon) so we cant upgrade unless we upgrade our board. we are looking at getting a new system soon. But i wont knock the reliability of them been running none stop havent had any problems with it at all. it has just worked!

I have looked at openscape though and it is good

Thank Post
    Yep - we've got an Inter-Tel setup

Thank Post
    Same as localzuk, built our own asterisk box (VM) and we're running over 50 extensions, and handling hundreds of calls (both internal and external) daily. Oh, and all for a lot less than you have in your budget!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Same as localzuk, built our own asterisk box (VM) and we're running over 50 extensions, and handling hundreds of calls (both internal and external) daily. Oh, and all for a lot less than you have in your budget!
    Yup - it cost us hardly anything compared to commercial systems. Redundant servers, (with an on the shelf spare also), 40 extensions, with connectivity for 4 phone lines - cost us a total of 6k.

Thank Post
    Haven't dont redundant servers yet (but our physical servers running the VMs allow for physical failure), but may look at that in future.

We've gone full VoIP, so the only hardline is a backup line in reception in case of total PBX/internet outage (using IAX2 trunks with hard line fail over). Line rental is about 60 a month for 20 inbound calls, and 4000 mins landline and 500 mins mobile outbound calls. So overall monthly costs should be less than line rental on 8 channels of ISDN30 (I believe about 120)!

We're also looking at a SIP->GSM gateway with simplicity SIMs to add another outbound route for mobiles to reduce costs (and failover inbound route). Total cost thus far for hardware/software (factoring in partial cost of server) is probably under 4k - we did get a stonking good deal on our phones!

Only issue we're having at present is some of our wifi phones, but that's most likely due to wifi coverage issues (being looking into - probably next year's budget).

Cheers

Thank Post
    I made them let me take our phone system over when I found out they wanted VoIP... Not letting anyone else mess with my baby...
    We went for an Aastra system - tres tres good.

Thank Post
    Just thought I better add - I used to work with Asterisk/Trixbox systems quite a lot before coming to this job and using it here, so I was happy to play/fiddle/kick it until it worked (and I understand what may be going wrong).

There are a number of possible routes to go if you're unsure about setting it up yourself. The big names tend to be the big old school PBX supplier names, plus some of the network company names - this is where your budget may be useful! Asterisk and Trixbox both have commercial versions, and I think trixbox also has an appliance should that be the way you wanted to go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast