+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, New HSPDA mobile advice in Technical; Hi all I'm contemplating getting a new contract phone with HSPDA and support to be used as a modem on ...
    Thank Post

New HSPDA mobile advice

Hi all

I'm contemplating getting a new contract phone with HSPDA and support to be used as a modem on the move (and to be free from the constraints of filters etc if need be at work).

I've seen a couple of OK deals, but I am near clueless when it comes to phones unfortunately. The best I found was the LG Arena with t-mobile giving a 7.2mbit/s, though this and all other contracts seem to have tight data caps and all sorts - things I'd like to avoid.
    So any recommendations? I'd prefer a phone where I don't have to be constrained to *just* a touch screen, though it's browsing and data capabilities I'm most bothered by.

Like I said, I'm not too hot on phones so any advice would be fantastic.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    HTC Touch Pro2 is ideal for you... full HSDPA, keboard, large screen and fast. Since it's a Windows Mobile device, you can also use it as a HSDPA modem via a USB connection to your Windows PC without any software

You will struggle with data caps though... I don't know how they are still getting away with 'unlimited' plans that vary from 150MB to 500MB a month. Also check out the Ts & Cs - you'll find that certain protocols won't be included in your allowance (common sense since no mobile operator wants you to have free VoIP calls).

Thank Post
    And you'll very rarely get HSPDA, and certainly almost never at 7mb. Even in city centres I rarely get HSPDA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andycat View Post
    And you'll very rarely get HSPDA, and certainly almost never at 7mb. Even in city centres I rarely get HSPDA.
    My phone (Touch Pro2) is constantly flicking between HSDPA and GPRS. Admittedly, I don't live within Heathrow Airport so I don't get the full 7.5Mbps. I am also the only person that gets any sort of phone coverage in one of my locals (and I can sit in there browsing over GPRS whilst others struggle to send an SMS).

Incidentally, you got me thinking and you can add less pitiful data allowances onto a Vodafone contract for an extra 15 or 25 per month.

Thank Post
    Who is your provider? I can't seem to find any packages with this phone anywhere... I hate phone related stuff.

Thank Post
    I have a (SIM-free) Nokia 5800 on Three and have Joikuspot premium installed. The price of the app fluctuates - I paid 5 or 6 for it. I have the 5 a month internet add on - and my phone acts as a wifi hotspot so I can use it with any device (e.g. ipod touch, laptop). Bargain.

Thank Post
    Posting in Firefox on XP laptop through usb to HTC hero (on orange) 2 mins after I read this thread to see if it worked.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 12th November 2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: make more sense.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I Have a HTC Touch HD, And i dont have any problems with it either... okay i have a USB dongle but i had that before i had the phone and they are both as good as each other. Echo what Ric said i dont get the 7.5Mbps But i get a far whack and i can surf with quite good speed so i am happy with it.

I am with Orange, and i get coverage near enough anywhere i go...

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

Mr_Andy (1st December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    I Have a HTC Touch HD, And i dont have any problems with it either... okay i have a USB dongle but i had that before i had the phone and they are both as good as each other. Echo what Ric said i dont get the 7.5Mbps But i get a far whack and i can surf with quite good speed so i am happy with it.

I am with Orange, and i get coverage near enough anywhere i go...
    I've prepared myself to not expect miracles with regard to the connectivity, I'm only after surfing and what not myself. My main issue is trying to get a contract with a qwerty phone - my thumbs don't agree with touchscreen. I can manage dialling, but attempting text is far too long winded.
    I'm waiting for Ric_ to fill me in on his contract details , I think the Touch Pro2 is the one for me if I can find a reasonable package anywhere.

Thank Post
    Sod's law isn't? I'm currently in Dunmow in Essex and Vodafone coverage is shocking! I have to stand by a window to find any signal! (I'm posting via wifi on my Touch Pro2).

Contract wise... my phone was bought off contract and I basically have the same bargainous contract that I had 3 years ago.

12. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Mr_Andy (1st December 2009)

Thank Post
    I ended up taking the plunge with Voda and their Touch Pro 2. Managed to wangle a small business package too, with extra minutes, free landline calls and quarter price insurance for the same cost!
    Cool phone too, cheers for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread