+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPhone n00b! in Technical; So, I finally got my iPhone 3GS yesterday. (32Gb - Black). Now I am a total iPhone n00b and coming ...
    Thank Post

iPhone n00b!

So, I finally got my iPhone 3GS yesterday. (32Gb - Black). Now I am a total iPhone n00b and coming from a hardcore Nokia and Symbian background, it's gonna take some used to getting around iPhone OS. Also, please bare with me if some of these questions have been asked before. I was never interested in the iPhone because it was well out of my price range until recently. I had wished I kept an interest now!

First things first. Profiles. On Nokia phones you can have different ringing profiles (General, Meeting, Outdoor, etc) Can I get a similar effect on the iPhone. I know it has the silent and ringing switch on the side, but I'd like different profiles if possible.

Following on from that, ringtones, I understand that I probably have to sync these via iTunes. Do they have to be in a specific format, or will it accept MP3, WAV etc. Can I also set different tones for text messages, email messages, video calls etc.

Jailbreaking - First and foremost, does it void the warranty? (O2/Apple) Also, can I actually jailbreak. My phone came preinstalled with the latest update (3.1) and is there currently anyway to jailbreak it. If so, can someone please tell me how. I've heard of ultrasn0w, yellowsn0w, redsn0w etc, but don't know what does what.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have loads more questions as time goes on!

Thank Post
    Jailbreaking - First and foremost, does it void the warranty?
    You can usually revert the phone back after a jailbreak, if you need to return it, but there is always the risk that it'll dodge your phone up I'm sure. So it's a risk you decide whether to take.

3. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Zoom7000 (26th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Profiles - not that I know of. If you find different, please let me know.

Ring tones - officially, they can only be produced from songs actually bought through the iTunes store. However, there are other ways.. google for iRinger.exe

5. Thanks to Abaddon from:

Thank Post
    As far as jailbreaking is concerned. Unless you really have to, at the moment don't bother.

Yellowsn0w, redsno0w, ultrasn0w are all unlockers. They are not the jailbreak, they are an app that runs on a jailbroken iphone to allow any sim to work with it.

The jailbreak for 3.1 on the 3GS will currently disable you from EVER unlocking the phone due to the baseband changing. I would wait until they rectify this before trying to jailbreak your phone.

Also, the last time I checked, the jailbreak for the 3.1 firmware was only avaliable on Mac (if that's a problem for you), unless you download a firmware that somebody else has pre-cracked - but I wouldn't want to put this on my phone!

7. Thanks to SC-UK from:

Thank Post

ringtones

If you have access to a mac with a fairly recent version of garageband, ie 08 or 09, you can create a ringtone by importing in said file (mp3, aac, wav) edit it to what length you want then under share there is a option to share as ringtone which will import into your itunes library as a ringtone ready to be sync to your phone....

9. Thanks to jamesmay from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    Profiles - not that I know of. If you find different, please let me know.

Ring tones - officially, they can only be produced from songs actually bought through the iTunes store. However, there are other ways.. google for iRinger.exe
    If you have a mac you can use garage band to make ring tones of your own, short of that you can convert the audio into an mp4 and just rename as per below

iTunes 7.4.1 ringtones re-rename workaround discovered

Think in the newer version you have to drag it into the ring tones folder inside the itunes folder or something like that.

11. 2 Thanks to mac_shinobi:

Abaddon (27th September 2009), Zoom7000 (26th September 2009)

Thank Post
    You can export a track straight from garageband (even an MP3 that you have imported), into iTunes as a ringtone from the "Share" menu.

13. Thanks to SC-UK from:

Thank Post
    Here's how to create ring tones from any music file using iTunes Free iPhone Ringtones using iTunes | Mobile Fun Blog...

15. 2 Thanks to Netman:

Abaddon (27th September 2009), Zoom7000 (26th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Here's how to create ring tones from any music file using iTunes Free iPhone Ringtones using iTunes | Mobile Fun Blog...
    similiar to what I posted but obviously explained better cheers

Thank Post
    I'm starting to realise what people meant by the phone being restrictive compared to the Hero (or even a Symbian). So first and foremost, no mp3 ringtones, you gotta convert them. Simply everything has to be done via iTunes, unless you jailbreak or pay for the apps needed to do what most phones can do for free! In this case leading on to my next question, transfering none music or photo files to the phone. Specifically, a pdf or doc file. I want to transfer a 30Mb pdf file to the phone. Google searches mainly say the way to get the file to the phone is to download it as an attachment from email, except you can't attach 30Mb files to most email clients. All the available tools cost on the app store and I can't jailbreak yet cause I'm on 3.1. So any ideas how I can get this file on to my phone? I got 32Gb to kill but can hardly transfer anything to the damn phone!

I just typed this from the iPhone, damn it took long! lol!
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 26th September 2009 at 07:24 AM.

Thank Post
    you can get free apps on the store that allow you to join your wireless network and use the free space as disk space and you save it there

Google

iPhone Apps - WiFi HD FREE (Wireless Hard Disk Drive) | Apptism

There are plenty of others and I think the ones that do charge that are similiar to the above are or should be a few quid literally if they are the ones I am thinking of

http://www.apptism.com/apps/wifi-disk

19. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Right, I installed WiFi HD, however, all that allows me to do is store the file. When I click on the PDF file, nothing happens. So, it appears as though you can store, but not use!

Any other alternatives? I certainly hope iPhone Dev Team can get the Jailbreak for 3.1 sorted soon!

Thank Post
    I paid £12 for QuickOffice from the App store. It works and handles the 3000-odd files I've transferred from my Palm T3.

Thank Post
    Found this and I think it is the same app i was thinking of

Now there is another way to transfer files to your iPhone without using the above method, or Jailbreeak it. There is a software “Air Sharing” available from Apple AppStore, free for a limited period of time. This is the summary of how Air Sharing work:

Connect your iPhone to a wireless network which your PC is connected to.
    For PC (XP), set up a connection from “Network Connections” to http://your-iphone-ip-address:8080
    A connection will be established with your iPhone, locked to the root folder of Air Sharing, and you can read and write file into this folder.
    For Vista or Linux or Safari, there is a clear instruction on how you setup the connection. It work great for me!

Do have security in mind however. The sharing is turned on by default. If you do not want to transfer file, do remember to turn off the sharing.

Thank Post
    I had been looking at Air Sharing. Unfortunately it is no longer free.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast