+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Noka E71/75 or HTC Touch pro 2 in Technical; I really dont know which one to choose. I am currently leaning towards a touch pro 2. The only thing ...
    Thank Post

Noka E71/75 or HTC Touch pro 2

I really dont know which one to choose. I am currently leaning towards a touch pro 2. The only thing holding me back is the price. The cheapest I have found it is 458.83. I just want to know is it worth it? I am impressed by some of the youtube reviews.
    I really would like a full qwerty keyboard. I will be using it mainly for internet and outlook synchronisation.

I have already ruled out the Iphone.

Any opinions are appreciated
    nN

Thank Post
    I have already ruled out the Iphone.
    Why?

Thank Post
    I use the Nokia E71. Great piece of kit and all reviews seem to rate it highly. Got Wifi, GPS, BT and all the other bits built into it. Metal case and raised keyboard as well.

Thank Post
    How about a G1 with a modified rom

Thank Post
    Have you thought about the HTC Hero. I have had one now for about 6 weeks and its brilliant. It runs Android which is google's open OS and has about a million different things you can do with it. the Android 'Market' where you can download apps is huge, it has everything you could ever need. It has a touch screen QWERTY keyboard which is really easy to use, it displays full internet pages which are really easy to navigate.

The only downside is that the current version of Android doesn't support Bluetooth file sharing, which you would really expect from any phone nowadays, and the price. I think its quite expensive. I was able to get mine as an upgade so i only paid 140 for it.

Definitly worth a look!!

James

Thank Post
    I've got an E71 as well. Would reccomend it. Not had any major problems that weren't caused by a badly written app freezing up. battery life is decent, the keyboard is remarkably easy to type with given its size, and it does everything required!

RwD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    I use the Nokia E71. Great piece of kit and all reviews seem to rate it highly. Got Wifi, GPS, BT and all the other bits built into it. Metal case and raised keyboard as well.
    I personally prefer the look of the touch pro2 OS. Whats the E71 OS like on a day to day basis?

Admiral208
    I did consider the hero but the lack of an actual keyboard and that fact that some reviews said it was sluggish put me off. Do you find the Hero sluggish?

rush_tech
    The reasons I decided against the Iphone were:

• Most of the people I know are on Orange and I cant really fault the service. The have also managed to sort me out a new contract, which suits me.
    • For some unknown reason there are 02 dead spot in my school
    • The phone is personally too expensive on PAYG and sim free
    • I dont really want to pay more than 25 a month

JOrdan01070

I am not familiar with the G1. Can you please tell me who makes it. I willl have a look at it. The ROM alteration seems a bit scary.

Thanks
    nN

Thank Post
    I have a Nokia E63, very similar to an E71 but a lot cheaper. It has WiFi & Bluetooth but no GPS (not a problem for me). There have been some adverse reports about the E71 metal casing affecting network signal strength. The E63 also has a very good battery life, & at last I can keep up with (almost) my daughter when it comes to texting now I have a a qwerty keyboard!

I got mine 'free' on an 18 month @ 15 per month '3' contract which included 70 mins calls, unlimited texts, and unlimited Internet access. It also has free Skype access, not that I have used that.

Thank Post
    I've got the HTC Touch Pro 2, I ruled out the iPhone as well due to the lack of keyboard and fat finger syndrome.

I got it off contract and I am now with Vodafone on a good contract with unlimited (500meg) a month internet access.

The phone it's self is good, haven't had any problems with speed on it. It is linked into the LGFl provided exchange system that is instant with email, calendar synch is very quick as well.

Previously I've had both a blackberry and the N95 8GB, the biggest thing I miss is the 5megpixel camera on the N95.
    I haven't yet found good applications for the phone, I did find the facebook app for the phone clunky and slow. I still prefer to use the web page for it. The phone comes with a YouTube app installed which is good for picking the odd video whilst out and about.

There are a couple of good websites that have some little hacks around, like enabling the FM radio, allowing GPS tagging of pictures. All in all it is one of the better phones that I have owned.

Thank Post
    Are there any high street chains such as Carphone warehouse that stock the tp2 as I would like to actualy get a feel for the device in addition to reading reviews?

nN

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you want to use the E71 with Exchange? If so, be aware that Nokia's mail for Exchange doesn't support folders in your inbox (which is a real show stopper for me; there are a load of emails which I have in folders because of rules which I'd like to read on the bus - can't do it with the Nokia product!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Do you want to use the E71 with Exchange? If so, be aware that Nokia's mail for Exchange doesn't support folders in your inbox (which is a real show stopper for me; there are a load of emails which I have in folders because of rules which I'd like to read on the bus - can't do it with the Nokia product!)
    Yes that is one of the main reasons I would be purchasing a smartphone. I hope I will be able to get away from my desk more often. it does my head in after a while. I have lots of subfolders.

So the nokia only reads the root of the inbox?
    thanks for letting me know.

Thank Post
    Just to update everyone on where I am at regarding the phone choice I decided to go for the touch pro 2. The main reason being the sub folders issue on the E71 and also people saying that the metal case degrades the strength of the signal.
    Thank everyone for your input. No Doubt I will be on here again asking for some more help though

nN

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Been given an E71 to have a play with for a few days, only had it since this evening but already Im sold. The main selling factor for me was the ability to run Slingplayer mobile.. which limits it to Nokias, blackberrys and Iphone.. The latter is not even an option, and I dont really like the look of the blackberry.

I Can sit and watch sky+ from my box in Scotland, on the train to work in Sydney.

Its awesome.. Dunno about the battery life, but browsing websites (except this one, the ads ruin it and the iphone skin is a bit crap) is like browsing on a normal browser. Typing is really simple too.

I fancied a HTC Hero or the New Nokia 2000, but theres not a slingplayer for them yet, so I think Ive found the phone Im gonna buy

Skype, MSN, WWW, Slingplayer, etc etc. What a difference from my monochrome Nokia 1999 era model

Thank Post
    No chance of a Touch Pro2 then in sunny Australia? You can get your sling player at Sling Media Support - SlingPlayer Mobile for your Windows Mobile smartphone and everything.

Updated mine to WM 6.5 yesterday too (proper ROM from HTC support site) and it's pretty cool.... just little touches like the weather on the Today screen and I'm sure that the scroll is a little smoother on the TouchFlow interface.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread