+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Best phone to sync with Outlook in Technical; One of my headteachers is going to get a new phone and he wants it to sync with Outlook on ...

Thank Post

Best phone to sync with Outlook

One of my headteachers is going to get a new phone and he wants it to sync with Outlook on his office machine (he is running WorkGroupShare to share calendars between his computer and the other admin computers on a peer-peer network).

I know with my Windows Mobile Omnia all I have to do is plug it in and it syncs with Outlook using ActiveSync.

However, I wouldn't inflict a Win Mobile touchscreen on a user unless I had to - will the other contenders (IPhone/Blackberry etc) simply sync up with Outlook when you plug them in?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    The iPhone will, I think, as long as you have iTunes installed. I've not tried with mine as I use the Exchange option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    I've not tried it myself either with outlook as far as the iphone is concerned but if it does not work then there is always the mobile me option ( if thats an option )

Thank Post
    I use the Nokia E71 just for that reason. It also syncs with Google Calendars as well so I'm always upto date calendar wise at least.

Should be able to pick them up quite cheap now and they really do rate the phone.

Thank Post
    @SimpleSi: You have been unlucky with your choice of phone really. Windows Mobile is the obvious choice for Outlook sync and the latest generation of HTC devices are very easy to use. You also have the advantage of being able to sync over WiFi or bluetooth if you so desire!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Ric any windows based mobile will sync will outlook no problems at all,

Thank Post
    HTC Touch HD with Windows Mobile here - Syncs with Exchange/Outlook like a dream, and with TouchFlo3D interface, WinMo is perfectly usable.

Best phone I've ever had, & I've had quite a few! Any HTC WinMo phone is a great buy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    HTC Touch HD with Windows Mobile here - Syncs with Exchange/Outlook like a dream, and with TouchFlo3D interface, WinMo is perfectly usable.

Best phone I've ever had, & I've had quite a few! Any HTC WinMo phone is a great buy.
    Agreed. Any large screen HTC Windows Mobile powered device should be perfect.

Thank Post
    Although you have to have the blackberry service/package activated on your phone contract, I wouldn't swap my blackberry bold for anything else, tbh.

We're about to go from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 so might have a look at windows mobile devices (it's an excuse as much as anything )

Thank Post

BLACKBERRY ALL THE WAY!!!

Hi There,
    I use a Blackberry Curve 8900 which you can get for cheap(ish) now on contract or buy a payg handset for around 220. I have 4 e-mail accounts configured at the moment, it doesn't need to sync through a program like iphones through itunes, you just add your e-mail account as you would on outlook except its easier as all you do is put in your e-mail address and password and the phone does all the smtp settings (etc.) for you. When ever i get an e-mail within 2 seconds I get an announcement noice on my phone. I can reply and create new e-mails using it, and e-mail people who are in my phones address book.
    I personally think the blackberry range are the best for this are to be honest they are built for this type of work, kids have bloomin' iphones as they see them as toys. If you want professionalism and quality choose the blackberry.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I've found this page that shows setting up a Blackberry to sync, so that doesn't look too bad.

If he goes for an IPhone and uses ITunes to sync - r there any issues with having his main Itunes account on home PC and having another copy of ITunes on a work PC?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I've found this page that shows setting up a Blackberry to sync, so that doesn't look too bad.

If he goes for an IPhone and uses ITunes to sync - r there any issues with having his main Itunes account on home PC and having another copy of ITunes on a work PC?

regards

Simon
    Nope none at all - with regards to playing any or using any of his tunes / videos etc on his itunes on his work pc he will just have to authenticate against the iTunes store which is very easy.

As per attachment in iTunes go to the iTunes store - link down the left hand side and on the new iTunes window with a button named sign in click that and get him to sign in using his iTunes account and it should authenticate against the iTunes server ( assuming there are no proxy server or firewall ) blocking him / her doing this.

As for getting it to synch with outlook that would be down to the preferences made on the device which is done when the ipod touch / iphone or w/e is connected and you click on it in the list down the left hand side and you can configure everything that way.

Would be something a little like this maybe

Syncing contacts and calendars to iPod with iTunes for Windows
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    it doesn't need to sync through a program like iphones through itunes, you just add your e-mail account as you would on outlook except its easier as all you do is put in your e-mail address and password and the phone does all the smtp settings (etc.)
    So does the iPhone.

Thank Post
    I got our head the HTC touch hd and this syncs with exchange 2007

i use the roadsync which came with my samsung 8510i the only thing i had problems was with the certificate which i had to install manually by downloading on my pc and uploading to my samsung.

but when i was researching people told me to forget about anything that was not a windows mobile otherwise i could always hit a snag.

Thank Post
    I use an iPhone and it Sync's great with outlood, also has push exchange support. Works great here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast