+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC Hero or iPhone? in Technical; I was going to go with the HTC Diamond 2 but after actually playing with one and playing with an ...
    Thank Post
    I was going to go with the HTC Diamond 2 but after actually playing with one and playing with an iPhone 3Gs that a friend had I was left in a quandry.

What really ended up selling me was the fact that I could get Exchange, and my tasks (the latter with an app) on the iPhone with considerably less hassle that I ever did with the Vario II or III (can't remember which) that I had.

Haven't looked back since and all this stuff about keyboards, tbh.. the iphone is more responsive and easier to use than the actual keyboard on an HTC phone.. It's not perfect with some keys missing but I can type at normal speeds on my iPhone.

Of course, all this aside, the fact that my friends mate works for O2 and got me a 30% discount on the tarriff for an 18 month contract was a definite incentive

2. Thanks to contink from:

mac_shinobi (7th September 2009)

tjb
    Thank Post
    I held out months for my dream phone, the HTC HD, but when I finally used one and found out that Mobile Office only worked in portrait mode I was disappointed! I ordered an iPhone 3GS 32gig yesterday...

4. Thanks to tjb from:

mac_shinobi (7th September 2009)

Thank Post

HTC+Android - great phone.. but whats with the Proxy support?

We've been a little starved for options as far as 3G phones with good-sized screens go down here in little 'ole NZ but our team bought one of the Android based HTC phones last week as a trial and have been pretty impressed so far. Can post a detailed review in a week or two once we've all had a chance to have a play.

One thing thats almost a show-stopper for us however is the proxy support. WiFi access is available to students across our campus now and we are looking forward exploring mobile use/WiFi, but it seems you cant use a proxy in Android that requires authentication. You can update the built-in database to point to a proxy but cant seem to specify a username/password. Anyone got any insight into this? Or know if there's a workaround.

Thank Post
    i have just heard that iphone very nice.

Thank Post
    After some time playing with the itouch and wishing for an iphone.... i've just gone hero:

I am allowed to change the battery myself!
    memory expansion slot
    customisation without hacking
    I can run multiple apps at the same time.
    I dont need to pay for most apps!
    non-propiatory usb connection

and my best bit:

No bloatware iTunes!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Ive had a play around with the iPhone numerous times, and as nice as some apps are, I just never quite sure. I think im liking the home screen approach that other handsets are doing. Shame really the iPhone would be quite the device if it had something similar.
    Think thats fixed in the 3.x firmware where you get spot light and I think you can change the home screen to w/e you want ie spot light, your first page or ipod etc

Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    After some time playing with the itouch and wishing for an iphone.... i've just gone hero:

I am allowed to change the battery myself!
    memory expansion slot
    customisation without hacking
    I can run multiple apps at the same time.
    I dont need to pay for most apps!
    non-propiatory usb connection

and my best bit:

No bloatware iTunes!!!!!
    I'm the total opposite of that lol.

Battery is lith ion and is covered both on insurance and apple care ( so may get apple care later on )

In a round about way I can run multiple apps but apple went against running multiple apps esp in the background to save / conserve battery power which is fair enough as I always hated my battery dieing ie pressing home button twice depending on how configured brings up ipod by default settings and if i go out of safari and do what i want and go back into safari it keeps the pages you were browsing open so you can easily enough go back to the same page (s) so does multi task in a round about way

As for apps and them being paid for I can understand that because of the time / effort spent by most people to make the apps in the first place

As for iTunes, its a lot better on OS X then under windows but do agree its crud on windows

As for memory expansion slot - Ive done that in the past and either lost sd type cards or they have gotten corrupted etc and Ive not always made manual backups where as iTunes when connected to the iphone etc does backup and synchs everything so always a backup to fall back on if something does go wrong with the iphone which is nice

Not trying to sell it just my personal opinion
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 26th October 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Got the HTC Hero White, and i love it! does everything I want, great phone and a real good alternative to the iphone.

Some good deals here

HTC Hero White Deals - Compare All Deals for this HTC Phone

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5F0Ruzwos8"]YouTube- iPhone 3GS vs HTC Hero - Dogfight, Pt 1[/ame] a good video for comparison.

Thank Post
    HTCs are really good and you can customise them very easily. iphone im not to sure never had hold of one but i am a little disapointed that there is no bluetooth on it other than adding a headset. i currently have a blackberry curve 8520 they only complaint i have is the lack of good free themes about. I think its better than the HTC phone i had.

Thank Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deeknow View Post
    One thing thats almost a show-stopper for us however is the proxy support. WiFi access is available to students across our campus now and we are looking forward exploring mobile use/WiFi, but it seems you cant use a proxy in Android that requires authentication. You can update the built-in database to point to a proxy but cant seem to specify a username/password. Anyone got any insight into this? Or know if there's a workaround.
    I know there's a linux application called NTLMaps which will handle ISA proxy authentication, but I think it just authenticates everyone with the one username & password, which'd be bad for your usage logging.

(You then tell your clients that the linux box is the proxy server and it handles the relaying.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234