+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, new iphone 3GS in Technical; Originally Posted by Jamo I have the touchHD and its great really good looking screen and Curse of Monkey Island ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I have the touchHD and its great really good looking screen and Curse of Monkey Island runs great!! Almost time to put the 7th Guest on it!!
    7th Guest! IIRC that is a puzzle-type game. If that is the same one then that was a good game. As was it's sequel 11th hour!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    lol to iPhone. Thats insane bunse.

I have the touchHD and its great really good looking screen and Curse of Monkey Island runs great!! Almost time to put the 7th Guest on it!!
    where and how did you get the Curse of Monkey Island on your HD? I would love that!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    where and how did you get the Curse of Monkey Island on your HD? I would love that!!!!!!!!
    You fight like a dairy farmer!

Thank Post
    Just bugs me that they want to charge more for tethering.
    Will soon have a Dell Mini 10v, and on the odd occasion would like to tether.
    I can do now, but not sure how well o2 can detect users that are tethering.

Thank Post
    Its through SCUMMVM which is the same with the 7thGuest. Yeah I have played the 11th hour!! i REALLY want it but dont have it and its not available anymore

ScummVM :: Home

You can play so many of the old point and clicks on it!!

and to jamesB err Look behind you! Its a three headed monkey!!

Thank Post
    A lot of money for something that hasn't changed much. I was interested until I saw the o2 pricing this morning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I cant get over the price! So much money for it and they did not improve the one thing they needed a 100-200% increase in, battery life. It still looks really bad.
    3G
    Battery life
    Up to 5 hours talk time / data on 3G, 10 hours on 2G

Up to 6 hours data on WiFi

Up to 24 hours audio

Up to 7 hours video

3G S
    Up to 5 hours talk time / data on 3G, 12 hours on 2G

Up to 9 hours data on WiFi

Up to 30 hours audio

Up to 10 hours video
    ta-daaaaa

Thank Post
    < Double Post> Doh...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    ta-daaaaa
    ? Exactly, its a pretty aweful increase in battery life.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    ? Exactly, its a pretty aweful increase in battery life.
    lol my touch HD has lasted 4 days without charge. Granted its now pretty low... lol but still!! Easily 3 days with some web usage to check mails and texts etc. The iPhone has terrible battery life. I have heard some people complaining it doesn't last 1 day!

Thank Post
    Just seen the tethering prices. Ouch.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Things that are missing -

Front facing camera for decent video calls. iChat / Skype / high-end apps from Cisco etc ... so much opportunity missed here.

Decent Battery. The upgrade means that I would only have to charge my iPhone every 1 1/2 days instead of every day.

Expandable memory. I use SD/microSD a lot ... it is a handy tool for me especially since I don't often have my Mac around to transfer files across or even if I do it is a pain to set up an ad-hoc wireless network as I am *not* using McDs freebie Wi-Fi to transfer stuff around ... and we have no wireless in the office (County rules) ... so it ends up being done at home instead.

Bluetooth is still a case of suck it and see. I have been playing with the bluetooth side of mine for some time and have a few different devices you can reliably hook into the present machine and OS ... it does look like v3 will improve things but there is still to strong an emphasis on Wi-Fi. I'll just have to wait until the new OS comes out as some restrictions with bluetooth at the moment are OS related, some are hardware related.

I am happy with my present 3G and will upgrade the OS, but I will probably wait until 4th Gen iPhone now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Decent Battery. The upgrade means that I would only have to charge my iPhone every 1 1/2 days instead of every day.
    Your not going to get a 50% increase btw, a few hours at best (3g calls are exactly the same) and a few minutes at worst for the 3gs
    The battery life is a joke, as an experiment I have turned push delivery on, 30mins sync to pop3, 3g and I am listening to music to see just how long it lasts. I am even barely using the device itself as am reading mail on the server just to get around the "use/display drains the battery" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Bluetooth is still a case of suck it and see. I have been playing with the bluetooth side of mine for some time and have a few different devices you can reliably hook into the present machine and OS ... it does look like v3 will improve things but there is still to strong an emphasis on Wi-Fi. I'll just have to wait until the new OS comes out as some restrictions with bluetooth at the moment are OS related, some are hardware related.
    The jailbreaked ones have a new bluetooth driver in dev which trys to fix the lock down apple applied.
    What non-apple devices have you found that work via bluetooth as handsfree? or well at all?
    Also I am pretty sure hardware has nothing to do with the current restrictions as the 3g will have mobile to mobile networking for gaming using it so a lot of the protocols are there at least. The chip they used was pretty standard I thought, apple just limited it to get apple tax.

As for tethering, I am mostly going to stick with jailbreak tethering for the little I use it as that price is nuts but I guessed that it would be an operator enabled feature and not included. Apple need their tax dont you know...
    "They" say os3 has been easy to jailbreak as long as you dont install 8.2 (as the driver is different).

Also did it get the "radio" broadcast feature or was that just a myth? And also I bet it had the super crap feature that forces you to replace your inline mic/controls no doubt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much any bluetooth device that can run dual channel (connect to two devices or run a single device with two data streams) works but I found my good old fashioned Sony Ericsson HBH-600 works a treat and even had a connection to my mac via an old BT dongle (firmware was updated though and was Mac only). The restriction is partly down to how stable the connection is (they used a cheap, low power chip ... but so did many others) and the strength of signal ... it is meant to be a different chip this time round and handle more connections.

Still waiting to hear on the full details though ... the keynote was very vague about what was enable via the OS and what via the 3GS

Thank Post
    I don't think it makes any odds anyway. IIRC the contracts were renewed when existing iphone owners took out their 3g contracts. Now, that was around 1 year ago and were for 12 months. If that is the case then the existing iphone 3g contracts cannot be cancelled for another 6 months. It states on o2's website that the contract can only be upgraded on the last month unless this changes in the near future.

I like my iphone but may not be getting the next one. I don't like the fact that they are charging for tethering. Makes no sense since they give you unlimited bandwidth on the phone itself

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast