+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, To G1, or not to G1...? in Technical; I'm currently with T-Mobile and plan to stay with them for a number of reasons. However, I'd like an Android ...
    Thank Post

To G1, or not to G1...?

I'm currently with T-Mobile and plan to stay with them for a number of reasons. However, I'd like an Android phone and the only T-Mob option is the G1.

I currently use a Windows powered phone and I'm generally pleased with it. I'm torn between the G1 and a new Win phone.

The question then is simple; is the G1 worth getting? Especially now with other manufacturers beginning to produce Android phones. Is it perhaps better to wait and see what T-Mob do?

Who uses a G1 here, what are your likes and dislikes? I really need to make a decision.... but can't

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts

Thank Post
    I have the G1 and love it. I would probably say the main issue with it is battery life, but what I have been hearing it isn't much different to many of the other latest 3g smartphones. Android is fantastic, lots of tweaks and apps now available on the market,(paid and free). The camera also is a bit naff if you arent in ideal conditions, so hang on for latest hardware if thats what you are after. Otherwise Android is the same on all handsets at the moment so the only pull from one android machine to another is the hardware specs.

TNE
    Thank Post
    It may be worth having a look at the site below, ive found it useful when i bought my last phone. It has usually got all the technical info plus reviews and a forum. There are currently over 800 comments about the G1.

T-Mobile G1 - Full phone specifications

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a G1 and if I could enter in to a civil partnership with it I would.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A Google bod mentioned that there will be 18 different handsets with Android on them by the end of the year... So it may be worth waiting a little while... http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...-by-years-end/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    That looks like the HTC magic which i think is exclusive to vodafone

TechRadar UK | Image zoom | Hands on: HTC Magic review

The G1 is getting better and better with each update it just depends on what you are going to use it for.

Thank Post
    I'm hanging on for Palm's Pre (but then, I'm currently a die-hard Treonaut, so that's hardly surprising).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I have a G1 and it is fantastic.
    It was ideal for me because I already use google mail and calendars, so it automatically works.
    The apps are fantastic, and mostly free.

A colleague has a G2, the G2 is slightly smaller, has better battery life.
    It also has more onboard flash, but they take 16/32GB microsSD so that doesn't count so much.

I prefer the G1, same O/S same CPU/RAM - but it has a keyboard - so that wins for me.

but the real feature is android. linux rocks.
    (noobs might need to RTFM, there is more than one desktop !!!!)

Thank Post
    tbh, Windows Mobile has good Google integration now too. If the only reason for choosing an Android phone is to make your Google-life easier, there's little need.

I have a HTC Touch Pro and use Gmail (2 accounts), Google Calendars, Gmail contacts, Blogger and more!

Since getting my Touch Pro, there is one thing though... once you've had a keyboard there's no going back!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I have a G1 and it is fantastic.
    It was ideal for me because I already use google mail and calendars, so it automatically works.
    The apps are fantastic, and mostly free.

A colleague has a G2, the G2 is slightly smaller, has better battery life.
    It also has more onboard flash, but they take 16/32GB microsSD so that doesn't count so much.

I prefer the G1, same O/S same CPU/RAM - but it has a keyboard - so that wins for me.

but the real feature is android. linux rocks.
    (noobs might need to RTFM, there is more than one desktop !!!!)
    Hi, where did he get his G2 from? I didn't know it was out yet?

I think the G1 is a great bit of kit. Best phone I've ever owned. Love finding out new stuff to do with it.

Only gripe so far is that I can't get Twitter updates on it (or am I missing something?).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    once you've had a keyboard there's no going back!
    I'll drink to that!

Thank Post
    Having used windows mobile for a few generations now I love the idea of a smartphone/pocketpc but I'm getting fed up of the constant crashing and problems with Windows Mobile.

My Orange contract is up for renewal soon and I'm really hoping they get a decent android based phone in. Don't want to jump networks if I can help it (long time customer with high spend means I get some pretty good deals), but given their current line up I might be forced to

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Hi, where did he get his G2 from? I didn't know it was out yet?
    vodafone as ^^

If the only reason for choosing an Android phone is to make your Google-life easier, there's little need.
    lol , you know me ric. the attraction was more that it was a hackable telephone than a googley integrated one.

Having used windows mobile for a few generations now I love the idea of a smartphone/pocketpc but I'm getting fed up of the constant crashing and problems with Windows Mobile.
    I had some apps crash. the phone is stable though.

My Orange contract is up for renewal soon and I'm really hoping they get a decent android based phone in. Don't want to jump networks if I can help it (long time customer with high spend means I get some pretty good deals), but given their current line up I might be forced to
    PM me if your going to t-mobile. we both get £25 vouchers and free t-mobile calls if I refer you.

Thank Post

I had some apps crash. the phone is stable though.
    I'm pretty sure the baseband on my Windows Mobile crashes every now and then, and after talking to a few other people with Windows Mobile seems I'm not the only one. Very annoying to find that the phones been telling you it's get full signal, yet when you reboot it you've got 10 answer phone messages and a large number of missed calls.

PM me if your going to t-mobile. we both get £25 vouchers and free t-mobile calls if I refer you.
    I'll bare this in mind. Currently liking the look of the Samsung i7500 Android based phone - which may be an O2 exclusive, so I might be opting for them at the end of the summer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information