+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Samsung NC20 or Dell Mini 12 ?? in Technical; I'm new to these netbooks having kinda dismissed the eepc when it first came out but now am relaxing and ...

Thank Post

Samsung NC20 or Dell Mini 12 ??

I'm new to these netbooks having kinda dismissed the eepc when it first came out but now am relaxing and thinking they would make a good alternative for some members of staff here.

Think the 12" screen would probably be better.

But which to choose? Just nipped to Currys where they have the Dell Mini 10, i'm assuming it's very simillar to the mini 12 regarding keyboard, screen quality etc but alas, i've never seen a Samsung nc20 (or nc10) in the flesh and can't see where i could get my hands on one to have a looksie.

Both seem to have simillar specs? Dell has HD which might be nice to plug into the tv at home (for me!), Samsung has a better sized hard drive, better battery as standard, both have b/g wifi (not n?), both seem about the same price

Anyone chosen between the two.. which might you suggest?

Oh, i'd be wanting to install xp pro on them, i've seen others manage that sucessfully using the nc10's so am assuming the NC20 would be just fine. Guessing it's a possibility on the Dell Mini 12 too?

Thanks for any advice

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    i've never seen a Samsung nc20 (or nc10) in the flesh and can't see where i could get my hands on one to have a looksie.
    Day trip to Cambridge or Norwich? As I pointed out in the other similar thread, John Lewis are great for being able to wnader in and have a play with equipment. The Cambridge store has a PC department, not sure about the Norwich one.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    i'd love a day trip to cambridge (or norwich!) but not sure the powers that be would be all too impressed with my "but i need to take a look at it and get the feel of it top help me choose" reasoning!! ;-)

Thank Post
    The Samsung NC10 is a brilliant piece of kit for the price so i would of hoped the NC20 is as well. I'd go for the samsung

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    NC10 is great, as for the NC20 yup its good as well, and the bigger size is just that bit better, annoyance for me is that they have put the Windows logo key an the menu / right click key on the keyboard the wrong way round!!!

Thank Post
    I feel that a 12" is a little out of netbook territory. If you want a 12" laptop then the Q210 has a signifcant power increase over a netbook, obviously though at a higher price.

Thank Post
    I have a NC10, going on that I would go for the NC20, not kean on the Dell's, had a go with one the other day, keyboard is crap to be honest. Samsung rules so far in the Netbook range.

Thank Post
    I saw the Samsung NC10 at Norwich John Lewis last weekend and had a quick play with it. Very nice. I'm getting three for the ICT Department to carry around the classrooms with them for marking work. We also had the HP 2133 in as well to look at, but the three cell battery does not last long enough.

NC10 has nearly a full size keyboard as well as a 6 cell battery. All the reviews I've seen of it has been in the early 90%'s.

Thank Post
    Has anyone actually got and used these yet?

One of my schools wants to get some laptops and I've shown them the NC10 and explained how the battery really does last

However, they plan on using CrazyTalk and that's one of the few programs that actaully requires at least 1024x768 just to run

I don't mind paying more money for the higher resolution but I really really don't want to lose the battery life that the NC10 has.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I've had one and used it (both NC10 and NC20) and tbh they were as good as each other on battery life.

Thank Post
    NC10 here as well and it's brill. The battery will last for nearly seven hours when just using the net and open office, the keyboard is a big improvement over most other netbooks and it seems to have plenty of steam I also like the fact that it has a decent size hard disk. The web cam is also good quality i've used it for skype quite a bit. My only issue is the mouse pad is a wee bit small but of course i'd rather that and the overall device still remain very portable.

Oh and it looks cool

Love it love it love it.

I'll just add that the Samsung does seem to be slightly better put together than the Dell though there's not alot in it.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 26th April 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Thank Post
    another vote for the nc10 ive got one got 1 for my dad and best mate they are a very tidy piece of kit

Dan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NC10 gets good reviews - NC20 not using the Atom so may be slower - also saw a Dell mini something at bett running Win7 enterprise - seems nice - wouldn't go with the 7" eee pc as screen is a bit small but my wife finds it fine (she's just iritated with linux and going to put WinXP on it)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    We also had the HP 2133 in as well to look at, but the three cell battery does not last long enough.
    I would normally go with HP for most things but I wouldn't go with them for their netbooks because of the mouse buttons - the battery and Via CPU are also things that would put me off them

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Has anyone actually got and used these yet?

One of my schools wants to get some laptops and I've shown them the NC10 and explained how the battery really does last

However, they plan on using CrazyTalk and that's one of the few programs that actaully requires at least 1024x768 just to run

I don't mind paying more money for the higher resolution but I really really don't want to lose the battery life that the NC10 has.

regards

Simon
    the best thing would be for that sort of situation is give them a desktop in their classrooms and they can take the NC10 around with them and use it for admin stuff at the same time as they are displaying work for the students from the desktop

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast