+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Advice for new Smartphone owners in Technical; Vodafone eForum -> Official Vodafone Samsung Omnia Software Upgrade regards Simon...

Thank Post

Thank Post
    @linkazoid

Mixing your own ROMs - not a beginner then

How easy is it to try the differnet roms out and how easy is it to back to an official version (I'm on Vodaphone UK)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    BTW I've started a Wiki off to try to help others out understanding how to use the phone.

I didn't stick it here as its not intended for clever edugeekers but it might prove useful for beginners.

If anyone wants editing access to help me out - just PM me.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This isnt just a smartphone thing.

Has anyone had the problem where they've added a number using one from a txt, but after you've added it to your contacts list it still doesnt pick up the name of the person when they txt you again?

Thank Post
    :Little Miss

This is usually down to the firmware adding +44 to the contact when you add it from a text message.

Check the contact to see if it has, if so remove it and see if it still happens.

:Simple Si

I'm not an advanced user, of these phones. Just a keen beginner.

The rom i have created is a non branded rom, without all the t-mobile crap. As thats what provider im with. You will be able to flash onto your phone, and go back to the original if you like. All you need is the update file you dl'ed from Vodafone.

One thing to note is that you would need to be flashing from a XP machine, with the Samsung Modem drivers installed first.

Michael

Thank Post
    To me it is simple:
    If what you want is a "dumb" and locked-down (a.k.a. without flexibility?) phone, then stay away from smartphones.

I particularly like Windows Mobile and my latest phone is yet another WinMo handset. I too have very fond memories of my Vario (HTC Wizard), which was replaced by an O2 XDA Exec (HTC Universal), followed by a HTC Touch 256 MB (HTC Elfin), then a HTC Touch Diamond (which I still have) and my latest toy, an Athena x7510 (a.k.a. T-Mobile Ameo, with 16 GB flash drive).

I got the athena because the Touch Diamond doesn't have a hardware keyboard and to me the keyboard is essential, given how much I use RDP from my phone.

I use push mail and I get alerts delivered to my phone from all the servers I have monitoring software installed (I tend to use the older version of HealthMonitor, before it became a commercial product. I also have a copy of the source code so can modify it to suit my needs.)

I use Reperion to do location tracking - though obviously it doesn't run all the time. Using this software I can allow people to see my physical location on a map in their browser.

My phone is my media centre in my car and I play all my music off it. Also, one of the benefits is the 7" screen that allows my kids to watch movies while in the car.

My entire agenda is kept on it, as is details of any projects I'm working on. I use Project Master, which has a WinMo and a normal Windows version, so I sync between my laptop and my phone.

I do a lot of outdoor walking, and MemoryMap gives me GPS navigation using OS maps, while I also have TomTom installed for when driving.

You simply cannot compare a "normal" phone against a device like this! To me, the ability to make and receive phone calls is almost an added bonus, and I'm very dependent on having a data connection.

We support several primaries, too, and having your own unfiltered Internet connection on demand can be a life saver, especially when I can share my phone's Internet connection with my laptop and end up having mobile broadband on my laptop.

There is a downside, though.

I don't know why, but people expect a Windows Mobile phone to be all things to all people, straight out of the box. It isn't and it never will be. Instead, it is a platform on which to layer the functionality you're after. People are quite prepared to accept that of a Windows PC, but not a Windows Mobile phone. Once you've accepted this point, you'll be well on your way to realising just how powerful such devices can be.

And if you're stuck, I suggest you pop over to www.xda-delevopers.com where you'll find a VERY vibrant community of over 2 million members sharing information and ideas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarside
    To me it is simple:
    I got the athena because the Touch Diamond doesn't have a hardware keyboard and to me the keyboard is essential
    I'm really missing mine

I use Reperion to do location tracking - though obviously it doesn't run all the time. Using this software I can allow people to see my physical location on a map in their browser.
    That looks interesting

one of the benefits is the 7" screen
    7" !!!!! ru sure you've got a phone ????

We support several primaries, too, and having your own unfiltered Internet connection on demand can be a life saver, especially when I can share my phone's Internet connection with my laptop and end up having mobile broadband on my laptop.
    Brilliant idea - I've not had data contract before so I'd never thought of this!

There is a downside, though.

I don't know why, but people expect a Windows Mobile phone to be all things to all people, straight out of the box. It isn't and it never will be. Instead, it is a platform on which to layer the functionality you're after. People are quite prepared to accept that of a Windows PC, but not a Windows Mobile phone. Once you've accepted this point, you'll be well on your way to realising just how powerful such devices can be.
    Well said

And if you're stuck, I suggest you pop over to OpenDNS where you'll find a VERY vibrant community of over 2 million members sharing information and ideas.
    Will have a look ta

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I would have recommend Xda-Developers.com before, but they don't have a dedicated section for the Omnia I900 as they are made by Samsung not HTC.

Its great for finding help with general problems for WinMo Phones, but i9x0.modaco.com is the most active forum for Omnia owners and developers.

Regards,

Michael

Thank Post
    If I type in i9x0.modaco.com i just get sent to what looks similar to the front page of edugeek and I can't seem to find where the Omnia section is - do you have a direct link to the Omina bit of the site please?

regards

Simon

[EDIT] found it at

http://www.modaco.com/category/342/i...ia-modaco-com/
    [/edit]

Thank Post
    sorry was a bit lazy to check when i posted last. I've got it as a bookmark and should have checked before posting.

Glad you've found it now.

Michael

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12