+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Exchange Sync - Blackberry or Windows Mobile? in Technical; Just wondering what your take is on syncing Exchange with a mobile device; which platform do you rate better and ...
    Thank Post

Exchange Sync - Blackberry or Windows Mobile?

Just wondering what your take is on syncing Exchange with a mobile device; which platform do you rate better and why?

Seems Blackberry let you sync one device for free wth this softare...

BlackBerry

Is it really asking for it to be installed on the Exchange box and another server

Then there's WM6 devices with Exchange Activesync that seemingly should just "work" without buying \ installing extra software, is it on the same level as Blackberry?

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I have a blackberry and it's crap for syncing with exchange without BES and cost a fortune polling for new messages every 15min

Thank Post
    Is that how it does it with BES as well? Best warn the new owner if they don't have a data contract!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BES the nasty monster that it is connects back to the RIM servers which then talk to the cell providers servers when you get mail. The cell provider then sends a small message to the blackberry which triggers a data connection to retrive the message. You should only need to put the BES server on a seporate box if it is hosting more than 10 or so users as the software is trash and makes exchange look like utorrent efficiency wise.

Windows mobile has a simmilar push email feature which is implemented differently and I personally like much better, you also don't need to trash a server with BES. The WM solution involves the device opening a TCP session directly with the exchange server. The connection is initiated with the server and left open without any additional packet transfer taking place. The device can put the data connection into active sleep mode on the device after the connection has been made meaning that it burns very little extra power and will bring the connection back up if it needs to send data or if the cell system has data for it.

During these long TCP sessions if there is an email recived the server will send the sync information in compressed and SSL encrypted form to the ip address of the phone. The cell providers systems will route this information to the phone after sending a wakeup call to the phone to bring the data connection back up. The IP based session timeouts are configurable but are usually between 90 and 120 minutes before the phone will wake the data connection and send another packet to keep it active. Having seen both run side by side I would say that they work at about the same speed delivery wise. This method also does not require a special BB data account.

The benifits of BES are that it compresses some filetypes nicely using less data for certain attachments. A problem with BES is that you are reliant on the RIM servers that communicate with the providers, if they go down, which they have before, your stuffed untill they fix them. Comparitivly the WM solution only relys on the mobile data connection and your own server.

Overall I would go with the WM solution personally as I hate BES (and its hidious install procedure), neither option requires polling and both have ok battery life with puch enabled (not a massive difference between having push on or off). Depending on your email usage the BES server may lower your bandwidth usage a little but you may need a more expencive plan to use it. Both offer simmilar device locking and wipeing facilities but BES still has teh edge on remote policy and app deployment for the time being.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th December 2008 at 05:39 PM.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Netman (16th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Go with Exchange! Once set up (which isn't particularly hard to do!) it just works!

Thank Post
    As an afterthought, you can off-shore your e-mail for free using Microsoft's Live @ EDU initiative, which'd see all your users end up with a 10 GB mailbox hosted by Microsoft.

Basically it is the Live webmail interface, except without the ads and it can be branded using your own domain name.

There are some questions regarding DPA, seeing as the mail will live on MS's servers and therefore be outside the EU, as well as the impact such reliance on external e-mail will have on your bandwidth.

And it works with the Live mobile client for Windows Mobile devices!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Blackberry's are only worth having if a lot of people are gonna have them.

thenthe BES is great for having a huge amount of control over everyone's handsets.

For a few individuals, WM is a much easier, simpler solution. And as for functionality, if you're mainly concerned with mail/calendar sync - there's not much in it

Jay

Thank Post
    Blackberrys can use IMAP to pull data from Exchange. Although I'd go with Windows Mobile/Active Sync as you also get calendars etc.

Thank Post
    I hate Blackberries, they are a useless piece of crap given out to morons who wouldn't know what a decent mobile device was if were inserted in their pants with the vibrate full on!

Whilst visiting CeBit last year, what was most noticable was everyone in a shiny suit selling something had a Blackberry.
    Any one that had the slightest technical ability had a WM device!
    Anyone who had both was either a drug dealer or a complete bonehead!

Bankers like Blackberries because there are some nice applications that interface with Bloomberg and some of the trading applications.
    The benefits of having fingertip access to these applications through Blackberry has obviously worked well, judging by the status of the worlds financial markets.

For my sins I look after the mobile internet requirements of a Championship Football Club and despite my recommedations and arguments the "shiny suits" still insisted on Blackberries.

We started with a few using the Desktop Redirector, then the club started handing them out to every man and the club cat!

Now we have 40 of these miserable pieces of junk and a BES.

Elsewhere we have Exchange and WM6 devices or IPhones (The iPhone has fully licensed active sync) and a couple of Nokias using a Symbian Sync tool.
    Exchange 2007 takes care of these babies without a moments support time.

Blackberries are slim fashionable and fit nicely into a purse or a man bag...

WM Devices are chunky with slidey keyboards and leave a large bulge in your trouser pocket.

Real men use Windows Smartphones - who cares if we have to reboot them 5 times a day and carry a bag full of chargers around with us!

Take my advice, Blackberries belong in Pies.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Blackberry's are only worth having if a lot of people are gonna have them.

thenthe BES is great for having a huge amount of control over everyone's handsets.

For a few individuals, WM is a much easier, simpler solution. And as for functionality, if you're mainly concerned with mail/calendar sync - there's not much in it
    It appears you can get policy based control of WM devices with Microsoft SCMDM 2008.

Apparently it supports the management of Symbian, Palm and Blackberries because the manufacturers have used the SDK to integrate their handsets/OS with SCMDM 2008...to what extent that's useful i don't know.

But i wouldn't be surprised if SCMDM doesn't become the defacto mgmt application for a mixed handset environment at some point, just as SCVMM is pitching itself as the mgmt tool for a mixed VM estate. Altough i agree with geoff about blackberries. I mean the iphone, with Cisco VPN, and Exc. Activesync is already far more of a useful business tool than the blackberry.
    Plus blackberry models pre the bold and the new touch-thingy have been hideous looking.....but without the usefulness of the likes of the tytn II.

Thank Post
    It's a nightmare as more people are getting BlackBerries due to the "shiny shiny" factor and then the obvious questions come up. I *hope* this works...

Blackberry Email - Computing Services - University of Liverpool

BlackBerry Internet Service

Then we can try to advise other people to get WM6 based phones and use Exchange ActiveSync that should just work out the box. Shame I can't try it as I don't have a contract or data allowance

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I hate Blackberries, they are a useless piece of crap given out to morons who wouldn't know what a decent mobile device was if were inserted in their pants with the vibrate full on!
    While I agree with your sentiments, I must admit I've never tried your innovative method of identifying decent handsets!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    It's a nightmare as more people are getting BlackBerries due to the "shiny shiny" factor and then the obvious questions come up. I *hope* this works...

Blackberry Email - Computing Services - University of Liverpool

BlackBerry Internet Service

Then we can try to advise other people to get WM6 based phones and use Exchange ActiveSync that should just work out the box. Shame I can't try it as I don't have a contract or data allowance
    We couldnt get Exchange Activesync working with WM6 due to its lack of support for wildcard certs. Iphone exchange sync however is excellent

Thank Post
    Pre E2K7 I would have said BlackBerry wins hands down however; WM6 on some of the shiny new pants vibrating mobile devices like the Palm Treo Pro with a well configured E2K7 CAS server (SSL certificated etc.) is now a mature solution and a viable alternative to BlackBerry and BES.

Speaking from personal experience as I have deployed, support and migrated both solutions.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I dont touch Windows Mobiles at all!!

BlackBerry devices are good and excellent when they are setup with BES.

Ian

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast