+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, HTC TTYN II - Outlook Access (3G) in Technical; We got 14 of these lovely new phones for the SMT team, and a few for PE as they need ...
    Thank Post

HTC TTYN II - Outlook Access (3G)

We got 14 of these lovely new phones for the SMT team, and a few for PE as they need remote registration access for ePortal.

We got them for their function to Sync their own mailboxes on the fly, rather than our older Blackberry - o2.co.uk forwarding service, however its not working.

We had the supplier have a look at the setup. (Outlook account setup correctly, require SSL ticked, account username/password/domain correct) however whenever I try and sync my phone, it starts the process and than fails, spitting out a 0x style code, which when googled relates to SSL problems.

So I rechecked settings, server setup etc and it should all be working. I also tried exporting the certificate to the phone and installing it locally on WM6, however no such luck.

Anyone else had any problems or any ideas where too look now regarding these errors?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What version of outlook are you running, I had these kinds of issues back with 2000 and 2007 needs a special exchange specific SSL cert.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    What version of outlook are you running, I had these kinds of issues back with 2000 and 2007 needs a special exchange specific SSL cert.
    Outlook on the phone, or Exchange version?

Exchange = 2003
    Outlook on Phone = Not the foggiest

Thank Post
    From external contractors who resolve major issues: It simply won't work unless you use a bought SSL Cert, the server made ones will not be accepted.

At least the problem is resolved! (At a cost mind you)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Outlook on the phone, or Exchange version?

Exchange = 2003
    Outlook on Phone = Not the foggiest
    Oops, my bad I meant exchange.

You do not need a special certificate if it is 2003 and you can use self signed ones so long as you install the root certificate dor your cert server on the phone which is a simple matter of opening it on the device from the file explorer (unless your phones are app locked). I have had this setup working with my phones for ages.

Thank Post
    There are options to get a free certificate from a cert authority that aren't self-certified but you then have to manually add the CA itself because it's not one of those already installed by default.

For all that I've never really managed to get it all working properly with my own home/test setup so who am I to talk.

Thank Post
    FYI,

Officially, you cannot use Active Sync on an Exchange 2003 box without Exchange SP2 and 2 Exchange Servers configured in a Frontend - Backend server configuration.

SBS2003 Server however does it out of the box.
    A self signed SSL will work fine but you must export it from the Exchange Server into a cer file and install it manually on each device.

A 3rd Party SSL certificate will not solve the FE/BE requirements.

It is possible to modify a single Exchange 2003 Server (Non SBS) through a Virtual Directory mod and a few registry keys to work in the same way as an SBS box.

Exchange 2007 does it all and SBS/EBS 2008 packages the Mobile Device Enrolment and Self Signed Cert distribution for you making it a dream to deploy.

If your outside contractor does not know how to do this, then I would be dubious of letting them touch any of your servers as they clearly have no experience or are unable to use Google!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    FYI,

Officially, you cannot use Active Sync on an Exchange 2003 box without Exchange SP2 and 2 Exchange Servers configured in a Frontend - Backend server configuration.
    That's interesting... I've done it before on an Exchange 2003 SP1 box, running front end, back end and mailstore on the same box... also had RPC over HTTPS running on it. You have to ensure that you have the root CA certificate installed on the device (just the server one is not enough iirc). I think there's also something to do with the the Exchange end of activesync works... see the below site for a good guide, and a link to the root certificate install bit for PPC:

Problems with Forms-Based Authentication and SSL in ActiveSync

Hope that's of some help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread