+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, School Phone Systems in Technical; AVAYA IP500 here, true hybrid system 10 Digital Extensions, 35 IP, and 3 Analogue for fax etc... Connected via ISDN-30 ...
    Thank Post
    AVAYA IP500 here, true hybrid system 10 Digital Extensions, 35 IP, and 3 Analogue for fax etc... Connected via ISDN-30 of which 8 lines are utilised. Also connected with Exchange all voicemail is copied to inbox all teaching staff have a virtual extension even if no physical extension/softphone. Digital extensions are deployed solely in main office so in case of network hardware failure (which never happens anyway) school still has a functioning system. System is great as IP/Digital handsets are identical in both look and functionality, and best of all managed in-house!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Asterisk is good but it's Linux based and if you don't have Linux skills that might be a show stopper.

3CX is windows based which might make it easier to use. There's a free edition which would be suitable for very small users and then a variety of paid for versions, none of which is any where near the price of things like Cisco, Avaya etc.

The web site will link you to companies that can give you support on this so you're not just buying a bit of software and hoping it works.

Thank Post
    You can setup Asterix in a ready to use Virtual Machine.

PBX in a Flash

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    AVAYA IP500 here, true hybrid system 10 Digital Extensions, 35 IP, and 3 Analogue for fax etc... Connected via ISDN-30 of which 8 lines are utilised. Also connected with Exchange all voicemail is copied to inbox all teaching staff have a virtual extension even if no physical extension/softphone. Digital extensions are deployed solely in main office so in case of network hardware failure (which never happens anyway) school still has a functioning system. System is great as IP/Digital handsets are identical in both look and functionality, and best of all managed in-house!
    Same system here (100 extensions) but no digital. Do you give all staff extensions just for voicemail?

Thank Post
    @DanW - We currently have the faxes piped through the analogue card provided in the Mitel. We have two fax machine connected to that by running Cat5 to their location and have converter leads on either end of them.

@Ric_ - Never had much trouble with the Mitel. It seems to be one of those ones where once your on a software release that is stable, you dont change it unless you get problems later on

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaccyNet View Post
    @DanW - We currently have the faxes piped through the analogue card provided in the Mitel. We have two fax machine connected to that by running Cat5 to their location and have converter leads on either end of them.
    have you got a link to the converter leads?

Dan

Thank Post
    For analogue, at the phoneline end, I patch a cannibalised phone cable through to the patch panel (you need just 2 wires... I can probably let you know what needs patching where with a bit of thought but its easy enough to get it right - ONLY 2 CABLES tho otherwise "master socket" converters fail).

Then on tother end...
    BT to RJ45 Adaptors > Maplin

Thank Post
    could i not put one on each end? would that work?

if so i may just buy a couple and try it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    could i not put one on each end? would that work?

if so i may just buy a couple and try it.
    Yeah, but you'd need a bt<->bt lead... there's probably an rj45 to rj11 type convertor available.

Thank Post
    single pair (2 cable) analogue (& some digital extensions) use '5' and '2' on a standard BT phone jack.

However, one of those convertors will generally use pins '5' and '4' (blue/blue_white) to convert to a BT jack. So you'd need to make sure that your patch panel used pins 5 and 4.

11. Thanks to kylewilliamson from:

tom_newton (26th October 2008)

Thank Post
    We have an Alcatel system here provided by swan communications. 7VOIP phones plus a mix of digital/analogue phones, all supplied by 6 external lines. Has worked wonderfully since it was installed 30 months ago.

Thank Post
    Has anyone got an Aastra system installed? we're currently leasing an aging Ascom system(7-8+ years old) and the rep from our supplier has said that we should upgrade to an Aastra Hybrid PBX system. I just need to convince our Bursar to go ahead with the move... the current system is really begining to show its age

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Has anyone got an Aastra system installed? we're currently leasing an aging Ascom system(7-8+ years old) and the rep from our supplier has said that we should upgrade to an Aastra Hybrid PBX system. I just need to convince our Bursar to go ahead with the move... the current system is really begining to show its age
    I would take the opportunity to see what else is available rather than going for what your rep suggests. Most of the time, companies exclusively sell/support one brand and will push you in that direction for obvious reasons.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Got a Zultys system with one Aastra phone - they're phasing out a large portion of their phones in favour of Aastra.

Can't say I have any qualms with the phone at all. Just ordered 7 more in fact.

Thank Post
    @DanW - The converter leads we have were supplied by the installers when they setup the system so I cant say where they got them from. The link tom suggested looks very similar to what we use. Basically RJ45 to a standard BT plug.

Luckily this thread reminded me to change the clock on the phone system, would have gotten that in the neck come Monday

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast