+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Bypassing Blocks in Technical; My school has an iPad program, which means that every one of the students has an iPad that we use ...

Thank Post

Bypassing Blocks

My school has an iPad program, which means that every one of the students has an iPad that we use throughout the day for pretty much everything.
    Unfortunately, the school has enabled the help of Sophos UTM web protection services, and has blocked pretty much everything, including VPNs.
    Is there any easy (or even not so easy) way to bypass this on my iPad? I would prefer not to have to use a proxy website, if there's even one that works on the network.
    I don't know, could there be any discreet and overlooked VPN servers that might not be blocked that I could use?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Speak to your IT team. Filtering is put in place for a reason. Bypassing it without permission from the IT team can and likely will lead you to being disciplined.

IE. This not the place to ask how to bypass stuff put in place by people exactly like us!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catsgotclaws View Post
    Unfortunately, the school has enabled the help of Sophos UTM web protection services, and has blocked pretty much everything, including VPNs.
    Is there any easy (or even not so easy) way to bypass this on my iPad? I would prefer not to have to use a proxy website, if there's even one that works on the network.
    I don't know, could there be any discreet and overlooked VPN servers that might not be blocked that I could use?
    The Sophos UTM device works by sitting between the school and the physical connection to the Internet - all inbound or outbound Internet traffic has to go through it, there is no other physical route available. Most such devices in schools these days are sophisticated enough to spot proxy / VPN traffic to non-approved domains or IP addresses, so setting up a proxy server on a server on your home broadband connection probably won't work, either. The only real way to get around it would be to provide another external connection that in some way bypasses the UTM device. You could use a mobile phone or portable hotspot device, but if you have a whole-school iPad program you'll have a school-wide managed wireless system of some kind with multiple access points, making tracking down rouge wireless hotspots a simple bit of triangulation. Sneaking in to the server room at night and switching around some cabling is probably an actual crime these days, also.

What is it you're trying to do, or access? When you say "school" do you mean a high school, or some kind of college? As pointed out above, your first option should probably be to ask whoever runs the system to unblock whatever it is you're trying to access, if it's a reasonable request it should be fine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread