+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Google enables Chromecast screen mirroring on Android in Technical; Source : Google Chrome Blog (via Android Police ) Chromecast makes it easy for you to enjoy your favourite entertainment ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts

Google enables Chromecast screen mirroring on Android

Source: Google Chrome Blog (via Android Police)

Chromecast makes it easy for you to enjoy your favourite entertainment on the biggest screen in the house. Starting today, you can mirror your Android phone and tablet to the TV so you can see your favorite apps, photos or anything else, exactly as you see it on your mobile device—only bigger. To start mirroring, simply select “Cast Screen” from the navigation drawer in the Chromecast app and select your Chromecast device. On Nexus devices, this feature is also available through the quick settings menu.

Now, anything on your Android device will appear on the TV. You can share photos stored on your phone with a group of friends, or scope out the scenery for your next family vacation together on the big screen using Google Earth.

This feature is currently in beta and will roll out on popular Android phones or tablets from Samsung, HTC, LG, and others over the next few days. Look out for the 1.7 update of the Chromecast app on Google Play store to use this new feature.
    Screencasting will require Android 4.4.1 or higher (MR1) and is currently supported on the following devices.

• Nexus 4
    • Nexus 5
    • Nexus 7 (2013)
    • Nexus 10
    • Samsung Galaxy S4
    • Samsung Galaxy S5
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (2014)
    • HTC One M7
    • LG G Pro2
    • LG G2
    • LG G3

2. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

Ant (10th July 2014), dhicks (10th July 2014)

Jon
    Thank Post
    I've been using miracast with my LG smart TV and HTC one for some time now ... does exactly this with no additional apps or hardware required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Google enables Chromecast screen mirroring on Android
    Is there an AirServer-style application I can install on classroom Windows machines to let teachers mirror Android devices to their Windows desktops like they can with iOS via AirPlay? If nothing else, I want to reduce the amount of wireless traffic required as much as possible - the Chromecast device is great, but it does mean another device sitting on the wireless network, I'd prefer to have as much traffic as possible going through the gigabit connection available to the desktop machine.

Ant

Thank Post
    Cheers for the info @Arthur.

Although not on the device list, my GS3 and N7 (2012) are running 4.4.2 (for now) and 4.4.4 respectively so hopefully will work. Will give it a go later.

@dhicks Will be interesting to see if anyone produces a AirServer-like app for this Chromecast feature now that they have enabled this. Sure it won't take long.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Is there an AirServer-style application I can install on classroom Windows machines to let teachers mirror Android devices to their Windows desktops like they can with iOS via AirPlay?
    If the Windows PCs already have AirServer installed (and you don't mind rooting the Android devices), you could try an app called Mirror to mirror the Android screen to the PCs via AirPlay.

Other than LeapCast and rPlay, I don't think there are any Windows/Mac apps that specifically support screen mirroring from Android devices. Maybe in time there will be?

AllCast + the AllCast Receiver extension for Chrome are probably worth mentioning, although AllCast currently only supports video, music and images. There's a small chance screen mirroring might get added in the future since it is made by the same developer who created the Mirror app above.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (10th July 2014)

Ant

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Cheers for the info @Arthur.

Although not on the device list, my GS3 and N7 (2012) are running 4.4.2 (for now) and 4.4.4 respectively so hopefully will work. Will give it a go later.

@dhicks Will be interesting to see if anyone produces a AirServer-like app for this Chromecast feature now that they have enabled this. Sure it won't take long.
    Just updated the Chromecast App to 1.7 but didn't work with either of my devices... Hopefully they'll update their list of supported devices soon.

Thank Post
    Works on my Nexus 4 and my partners Nexus 5 with no issues at all. Using Nova launcher on my N4 it will rotate the home screen to landscape as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Hopefully they'll update their list of supported devices soon.
    In the meantime, someone on the XDA forums has created an app that enables unsupported devices to mirror their screens (as long as they are rooted).

Tested Working (aside from the officially supported devices)
    • ASUS PadFone 2
    • Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    • Sony Xperia Z
    • Sony Xperia Z1
    • Sony Xperia Z2
    • Sony Xperia ZL
    • Sony Z Ultra
    • HTC Droid DNA
    • HTC One M8 (Including GPE)
    • Motorola Moto X
    • Motorola Moto G
    • Samsung Note 8 Tab
    • Samsung Note Pro 12.2 Tab
    • Nexus 7 2012
    • Oppo Find 7
    • Oppo Find 7a
    • OnePlus One
    • LG GPad 8.3
    • LG G2 Mini
    • NVIDIA SHIELD

Mixed Reports (may only work on stock)
    • Samsung Galaxy S III
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Tested Not Working
    • HTC EVO 3D
    • Galaxy Nexus
    • Most older devices

11. Thanks to Arthur from:

Ant (14th July 2014)

Ant

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    In the meantime, someone on the XDA forums has created an app that enables unsupported devices to mirror their screens (as long as they are rooted).
    Thanks @Arthur, I missed your post and was just about to post the same link to XDA. Didn't work on my S3. Had the same error as some of the other XDA members had on their's. Oh well!

On a different note, has anyone else seen this offer from Wuaki.tv? I wouldn't normally use them, but they have an offer of a free Chromecast with selected HD shows. I think Blacklist was £18 last week but has gone up since. Even GOT at £23.99 plus Chromecast is a good deal. Cheaper than Chromecast's RRP which most places are selling them at.

Thank Post
    I have been playing with the Chromecast mirroring and it is very fast and responsive which is amazing considering the price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread