+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, MDM help and advice in Technical; Hi All I am having some trouble with finding a MDM solution that can meet our needs in terms of ...

Thank Post

Unhappy MDM help and advice

Hi All

I am having some trouble with finding a MDM solution that can meet our needs in terms of tablets in the classroom.

Currently our Library owns iPads and Android tablets for staff to borrow (for student use) in the classroom. We have no way at the moment to manage them.

Ideally these are the things I would like to be able to do:

• Silently install apps
    • Installl apps without sign in ID
    • Restrict access to settings
    • Pull reports on app usage
    • Track and wipe devices

I have tried Cisco Meraki to manage devices but found it is very limited. The app instalation side is very frustrating as you have a request to install the app, yet you still have to access the Google play store (Android) or enter your Apple ID to download the app. Both of these I don't really want students or tutors to do as the Library manages the iPad and Google Play accounts.

I was wondering if anyone has beem succesfully using MDM for managing educational tablet devices, or if anyone knows of any solutions that could tick some of my needs above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've used Meraki and deployed apps silently. These were ipads and they were free apps... wonder if that makes the difference.

Thank Post
    How have you done this? I have downloaded all free apps but it still asks you to enter your Apple iD. Is there any way to turn off the need to keep entering your Apple iD?

Thank Post
    I have heard good things about Lightspeed MDM but have no first hand experience unfortunately. If you have ever looked at LearnPads you can make it work on your existing Android devices by following this.

Thank Post
    Take a look at LearnPad LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education

You can purchase the software seperatly from them for your existing Andoids. They even have an ipad version on its way.

Thank Post
    BE A NINJA - SYSTEMS MANAGER SILENT APP PUSH:
    https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2014/0...lent-app-push/

7. 2 Thanks to kearton:

ITTony (14th July 2014), Joanne (9th July 2014)

Thank Post
    That's an interesting post and read.
    Still a shame that you still get prompted to accept the app install though. As it would be good to do a complete silent install so students and staff alike can't say no.
    Hopefully with time they will enable this then we can have a complete stealth install feature

Thank Post
    First step
    Purchase/select/confirm free or paid apps through http://volume.itunes.apple.com and select managed distribution.

Second step
    Providing your meraki account is linked correctly, these apps will appear under the VPP section in the meraki dashboard NOT the apps section. You then assign a licence to each of the apple IDs (users) that you want.

Third step
    As long as the iPads are signed in with the relevant Apple ID, and automatic download of apps is selected, they will install automatically. Sometimes this can take time.

Note:
    Your meraki restrictions profile has to 'allow installation of apps' or it will not work.

Hope this helps.

10. Thanks to zhinkler from:

smithson83 (15th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zhinkler View Post
    Hope this helps.
    Helps???? It was the little thing I was missing, been doing my nut in.... You my friend are a god send

Thank Post
    We use Airwatch to manage our iPADs. I think it will do everything you wish apart from the locking out the settings. I don't think any MDM currently offers this functionality complete - you can add the restrictions to various things but not settings completely.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use AirWatch too and is very good. I only manage some devices so I can't state about the android features but it does manage android too.
    Most of the issues you got against will be restrictions put in place by either apple or Google.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smithson83 View Post
    Helps???? It was the little thing I was missing, been doing my nut in.... You my friend are a god send
    You are most welcome, glad I can occasionally add something useful to this forum ( which is the real godsend) - I've found many an answer here :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BES is about the only thing I've seen that can do all that - but that only works for Blackberry's.

For silently installing apps, pulling reports on app usage, and tracking and wiping devices, just about any of the MDM systems out there for iOS and Android can do those. You might want to look at the iBoss MobilEther MDM solution, which is quite good. Absolute Manage also does MDM for a wide variety of devices, including iOS, Android, Windows, and Blackberry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghSDC View Post
    Hi All

I am having some trouble with finding a MDM solution that can meet our needs in terms of tablets in the classroom.

Currently our Library owns iPads and Android tablets for staff to borrow (for student use) in the classroom. We have no way at the moment to manage them.

Ideally these are the things I would like to be able to do:

• Silently install apps
    • Installl apps without sign in ID
    • Restrict access to settings
    • Pull reports on app usage
    • Track and wipe devices

I have tried Cisco Meraki to manage devices but found it is very limited. The app instalation side is very frustrating as you have a request to install the app, yet you still have to access the Google play store (Android) or enter your Apple ID to download the app. Both of these I don't really want students or tutors to do as the Library manages the iPad and Google Play accounts.

I was wondering if anyone has beem succesfully using MDM for managing educational tablet devices, or if anyone knows of any solutions that could tick some of my needs above.

Currently testing Meraki MDM and can do all your requirements except reporting. I'm trying to figure that out.
    I find it easy to use and deploy.
    LEt me know if you have questions.

Thank Post
    Hi Marshall,

yes it good option Airwatch, But i have some problem

When You install new app on ios device from admin console it apper alert view on device i.e "App Installation alert". and when updating new version of same app name it coming alert "App Update" it working only app is running state(app open) .

But when app closing stage ; updating alert is not coming, that time it is automatically updated without alert.

please help me

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast