+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, I have a learnpad..... Now what!? in Technical; Hey, Bit confused really I have a test learn pad at the moment. I have created a test Lesson with ...

Thank Post

I have a learnpad..... Now what!?

Hey,

Bit confused really I have a test learn pad at the moment. I have created a test Lesson with a test category and inside the category I have a bunch of standard android apps for example Camera, WPS Office, Chrome Browser and ES File Explorer. Once I scanned the QR Code for the lesson it had no problem putting all those apps on although certain things like Chrome Browser and ES File Explorer are greyed out and it won't let me open the apps!? Anyone know why this is?

Apart from that it's actually working very well, you can even plug a usb stick into them!!

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Where did you get a test learnpad from? Did you buy it, or did you manage to find someone who would lend you one?

I've been trying to get a Learnpad on trial but they flatly refused!

Thank Post
    We bought one. I have to be honest these things are absolutely amazing it's worth the couple of hundred because I'll be honest you'll buy them once you have a test one!!! Also when you search their store they have Apple apps such as iMovie etc in the apps hmmmm me wonders what they'll do with them!

4. Thanks to abillybob from:

crc-ict (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, sounds good. We are considering a set of 15 for our Early Years department.

Thank Post
    I can't recommend them more enough, when I set them up I said "Is that it?" Because it just seemed to easy and they've worked straight out of the box it's insane!

Thank Post
    Hi abillybob,

Glad you're enjoying the LearnPad - aside from the issue you're having with the greyed out icons. Are they still greyed out? It usually means that the app hasn't finished downloading and installing. So depending on your internet connection and the size of the app it could take a bit of time. If the issue persists, I could schedule a member of the tech support team to call you - just DM me your details or email me at lisa.hendry@learnpad.com

How are you getting on with building Lessons? Were you aware that as well as adding apps from the Store, you can also easily add web links and your own files as well as changing the icons and wallpapers to help make them more engaging. If you'd like me to run through these features as well as some others over the phone with you then please let me know.

Lisa
    Educational Consultant for LearnPad

8. Thanks to LisaLearnPad from:

biz (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So, better than iPads then, @abillybob ????? :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaLearnPad View Post
    Hi abillybob,

Glad you're enjoying the LearnPad - aside from the issue you're having with the greyed out icons. Are they still greyed out? It usually means that the app hasn't finished downloading and installing. So depending on your internet connection and the size of the app it could take a bit of time. If the issue persists, I could schedule a member of the tech support team to call you - just DM me your details or email me at lisa.hendry@learnpad.com

How are you getting on with building Lessons? Were you aware that as well as adding apps from the Store, you can also easily add web links and your own files as well as changing the icons and wallpapers to help make them more engaging. If you'd like me to run through these features as well as some others over the phone with you then please let me know.

Lisa
    Educational Consultant for LearnPad
    Hey Lisa,

Glad to see you guys are on here! The greyed out app icons soon disappeared, I figured out that the app was still downloading. Works brilliantly really impressed! One issue we do have are certain apps aren't available in your list of apps. Certain apps we use a lot like FileCloud aren't available and the search doesn't show up anything. Majority of them are there but some aren't is there anyway these could get added?

The management seems very easy to get your head around, I have watched the demonstration videos on YouTube so I'm pretty clued up on how to create lessons and it's all worked very well.

I also wanted to know why Apple Apps such as iMovie and GarageBand are on your list of apps, if you try to add them into a lesson they don't appear on the LearnPad, I'm a bit confused why they're in your store?

Thankyou for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    So, better than iPads then, @
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    abillybob ????? :P

Yeah, only about 400 times better though....
    Last edited by abillybob; 4th July 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Thank Post
    One of my schools has just become a Learnpad Leader School, so we get to show off a bit to other schools around us.

**One issue we do have are certain apps aren't available in your list of apps. Certain apps we use a lot like FileCloud aren't available and the search doesn't show up anything. Majority of them are there but some aren't is there anyway these could get added?**

If you submit a request via the learnpad support email or through @LisaLearnPad they will look at the app and liaise with the developer to get it added to the Learnpad store.

**I also wanted to know why Apple Apps such as iMovie and GarageBand are on your list of apps, if you try to add them into a lesson they don't appear on the LearnPad, I'm a bit confused why they're in your store?**

Learnpad are developing a "Learnpad for iPad" app, currently in Beta. This will allow you to set Learnpad lessons on your iPads. It doesn't lock down the iPads like it does with the Learnpads and it's an early Beta version at the moment. That's why some apple apps are in the store.

We have invested heavily in them at the moment, we have 120+ in one primary I work in and 100+ in the other. They are much easier to setup/configure/manage and secure than iPads.

Si

12. Thanks to pooley from:

LisaLearnPad (4th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I also wanted to know why Apple Apps such as iMovie and GarageBand are on your list of apps, if you try to add them into a lesson they don't appear on the LearnPad, I'm a bit confused why they're in your store?
    It's probably because you can install the Learnpad software on iPads.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    If you submit a request via the learnpad support email or through @LisaLearnPad they will look at the app and liaise with the developer to get it added to the Learnpad store.
    Ah. Intresting, how long does this process take because if they need to contact the developer etc.. then we all know when a teacher wants an app it's normally NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    Learnpad are developing a "Learnpad for iPad" app, currently in Beta. This will allow you to set Learnpad lessons on your iPads. It doesn't lock down the iPads like it does with the Learnpads and it's an early Beta version at the moment. That's why some apple apps are in the store.
    That makes sense cheers for the info buddy!

Thank Post
    @abillybob Glad you managed to figure out why the icons were greyed out. As @pooley says we do take on board any app requests from customers and try to get them added to the Store. Please feel free to send me a list of apps you would like to see in the Store and I will get it organised. If for any reason the publisher chooses not to distribute their app through the LearnPad Store or if you are in a hurry to have a particular app added to your device then it's also possible to add it yourself via the Google Play Store following these instructions Linking to Apps from the Google Play Store - Support - LearnPad

It might be worth knowing that there are also alternatives to using a Cloud Storage provider. Depending on how your network is configured, it is possible to access network shared folders. For teachers gaining access to student's completed work then this can be done using the Hand In feature whereby a student can use the Share button to send a piece of work to the LearnPad portal. Take a look at this guide Hand In, Hand Out and ClassCloud | AvantisAvantis

In terms of the Apple apps, we have a product for the Apple platform now but I appreciate it could be a little confusing. I shall feed this back to see if we can make it clearer for anyone using the LearnPad portal.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaLearnPad View Post
    @abillybob Glad you managed to figure out why the icons were greyed out. As @pooley says we do take on board any app requests from customers and try to get them added to the Store. Please feel free to send me a list of apps you would like to see in the Store and I will get it organised. If for any reason the publisher chooses not to distribute their app through the LearnPad Store or if you are in a hurry to have a particular app added to your device then it's also possible to add it yourself via the Google Play Store following these instructions Linking to Apps from the Google Play Store - Support - LearnPad

It might be worth knowing that there are also alternatives to using a Cloud Storage provider. Depending on how your network is configured, it is possible to access network shared folders. For teachers gaining access to student's completed work then this can be done using the Hand In feature whereby a student can use the Share button to send a piece of work to the LearnPad portal. Take a look at this guide Hand In, Hand Out and ClassCloud | AvantisAvantis

In terms of the Apple apps, we have a product for the Apple platform now but I appreciate it could be a little confusing. I shall feed this back to see if we can make it clearer for anyone using the LearnPad portal.
    We still haven't been verified yet as a school yet, how long does this normally take? I'm assuming that why I can't see any paid for apps in your store?

I will send you over a list of apps that I would like adding once we have been verified if that's ok?

Thankyou!!

Thank Post
    The verification normally takes a couple of days, but can depend on the volume of new schools we have registering. If you PM me the name of your School as it appears in the LearnPad portal then I can make sure the verification happens today.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread