+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Primary Schoo Head: Microsoft Surface - Alternatives. in Technical; Hi all, The head of my primary school wants a Surface or something similar to use on the fly, during ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where you left me...
    Posts
    502
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Primary Schoo Head: Microsoft Surface - Alternatives.

    Hi all,

    The head of my primary school wants a Surface or something similar to use on the fly, during meetings and when she's off site etc. Obviously as we all know, Surfaces are pretty expensive and there are a host of Windows based tablet alternatives.

    But I've not used any for any real amount of time, so please give me some advice on which devices to recommend to her if you have any experience!

    It must have:

    - Windows tablet OS (Rules iPad + Android out straight away)
    - Would be nice to have a keyboard
    - Not a HUUUGE screen like on the Samsung ActivTabs (or whatever they are called)
    - Must have Office pre-installed (Majority of them do have this now don't they?)

    Also can anyone shed any light on something for me?

    Can you install '.EXE' programs and the such on the tablets now? I know on the original surface, the ability to install things, was only available on the Pro edition of the device.

    If this is the case, any recommendations where the ability is there is a total bonus!

    Here is an alternative I've found, any opinions?

    http://www.ebuyer.com/579702-asus-t1...-t100ta-dk002h

    Thanks

    Liam
    Last edited by L3OUGH; 1st July 2014 at 02:46 PM.

  2. #2

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,242
    Thank Post
    603
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    486
    We bought a couple of these recently. Seem reasonably solid, well priced, they certainly work as intended. It's full Windows so it's just the same as a PC regarding the installation of software. Ours are not domain joined, SIMS used remotely etc but that shouldn't be too much of a difficulty - a reinstall of windows to a domain joinable version (and the relevant licence) is obviously required for that. Bit tight on space though...
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 1st July 2014 at 03:06 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where you left me...
    Posts
    502
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We bought a couple of these recently. Seem reasonably solid, well priced, they certainly work as intended. It's full Windows so it's just the same as a PC regarding the installation of software. Ours are not domain joined, SIMS used remotely etc but that shouldn't be too much of a difficulty - a reinstall of windows to a domain joinable version (and the relevant licence) is obviously required for that.
    A couple of those ASUS T100's?? Or a couples surfaces?

    And have staff taken to them well then? We had a brief trial at my base secondary school and staff didn't take to them as much as I was expecting! They prefer iPads!

  4. #4

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,927
    Thank Post
    155
    Thanked 605 Times in 544 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Remember the distinction between Windows 8/8.1 and Windows RT. If it's running the former, it'll run your regular desktop apps - if it's the latter it's apps from the store only.

    The T100 hits your criteria. The specs are not that great (especially compared to the Surface Pro) but they're nice little machines so long as you don't try imaging them. I'm looking at getting some HP Pavilion x2 11t tablets in - they're also dockable with a keyboard but have 4GB of RAM, faster processors and larger storage. Hopefully they support 64 bit Windows too unlike the T100 etc. The screens are bigger though, closer to Surface sized.

  5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

    L3OUGH (1st July 2014)

  6. #5

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    6,242
    Thank Post
    603
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    486
    The T100-T's yes. The staff seem to like them so far on the understanding they're not network units. Note taking, browsing, VLE and remote SIMS, so far they're happy with that. Early days yet though, they've only had them a fortnight or so. I didn't get as far as trying a windows install on them, was worried about the install size of a 64bit Windows 8 on a 32GB storage..

  7. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

    L3OUGH (2nd July 2014)

  8. #6
    RichCowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    PR7, Lancashire
    Posts
    482
    Thank Post
    82
    Thanked 81 Times in 68 Posts
    Rep Power
    32
    VeryPC had some nice looking Windows Tablets similar to the Surfaces at the EduGeek Edit conference - seemed like they'd be worth checking out...

  9. 2 Thanks to RichCowell:

    L3OUGH (2nd July 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (1st July 2014)

  10. #7

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,241
    Thank Post
    882
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    784
    Is this the primary computer or a companion device, if it is the primary don't muck about with the little ones, get a surface pro 2 or 3, if it is a companion device then you can look at the stuff from VeryPC and the Dell Venue Pro 11 which both run full Windows 8 - which will run exe - rather than RT.

    Just buy Office separately or use your volume licence agreement if you have one to put Office on, only RT devices have it bundled and that is a cut down version.

  11. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

    L3OUGH (2nd July 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (1st July 2014)

  12. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where you left me...
    Posts
    502
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The T100-T's yes. The staff seem to like them so far on the understanding they're not network units. Note taking, browsing, VLE and remote SIMS, so far they're happy with that. Early days yet though, they've only had them a fortnight or so. I didn't get as far as trying a windows install on them, was worried about the install size of a 64bit Windows 8 on a 32GB storage..
    Awesome, thanks for that! Definitely a contender, the head likes it!

    Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    VeryPC had some nice looking Windows Tablets similar to the Surfaces at the EduGeek Edit conference - seemed like they'd be worth checking out...
    @VeryPC_Colin_M can you PM any info, prices, spec and images across? ASAP if possible as head wants something ordered today!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Is this the primary computer or a companion device, if it is the primary don't muck about with the little ones, get a surface pro 2 or 3, if it is a companion device then you can look at the stuff from VeryPC and the Dell Venue Pro 11 which both run full Windows 8 - which will run exe - rather than RT.

    Just buy Office separately or use your volume licence agreement if you have one to put Office on, only RT devices have it bundled and that is a cut down version.
    It's a companion device. Otherwise I'd be looking at the Surfaces Pro's like you say. But its only use will be for web browsing, note taking during meetings, accessing emails without the need to be physically sat in her office etc etc. You get the jist!

  13. #9
    VeryPC_Colin_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    500
    Thank Post
    1,356
    Thanked 200 Times in 138 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Dear Mr @L3OUGH, PM sent chief. Best, Col

  14. #10
    Griff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    520
    Thank Post
    205
    Thanked 95 Times in 77 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    @VeryPC_Colin_M loves a Windows Tablet thread

  15. Thanks to Griff from:

    VeryPC_Colin_M (2nd July 2014)

  16. #11
    VeryPC_Colin_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    500
    Thank Post
    1,356
    Thanked 200 Times in 138 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    @VeryPC_Colin_M loves a Windows Tablet thread
    Yep! I'm trying to drive the process here at VeryPC. I am a firm believer in tablets for the improvement of learning / teaching, but do tend to favour laptops when anything over core-i3 processing is required. In Colin's future vision of the world, all kids have a rugged VeryPC Intel Classmate, relevant books and learning resources for their year are all available via a central government portal or school MIS Library and homework can be set, done and managed on the fly with kids having access to their teacher through a connected environment. Then there are ICT suites full of colourful VeryPC desktops, and classrooms each with a VeryPC Glide AIO connected to an interactive display. Teacher monitoring work on each tablet from the comfort of their seat with kids using the edupack contents like the thermal probe to do Science, and the micro lens acting as a visualiser , etc

  17. #12
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,703
    Thank Post
    172
    Thanked 226 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Check out this as well, Surface look-alike and comes in at a very competitive price. Nicer build than the T100 imo (having trialled both)

    mySN.co.uk | XMG | Schenker Technologies - Schenker Element Tablet



    The Dell Venue 11 Pro is also a lovely bit of kit but the Atom model + keyboard is going to hit over the £500 mark (possibly more). Shame as the base tablet is reasonablly priced but the keyboard cost is extortionate
    Last edited by gshaw; 2nd July 2014 at 12:33 PM.

  18. Thanks to gshaw from:

    L3OUGH (3rd July 2014)

  19. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where you left me...
    Posts
    502
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Check out this as well, Surface look-alike and comes in at a very competitive price. Nicer build than the T100 imo (having trialled both)

    mySN.co.uk | XMG | Schenker Technologies - Schenker Element Tablet



    The Dell Venue 11 Pro is also a lovely bit of kit but the Atom model + keyboard is going to hit over the £500 mark (possibly more). Shame as the base tablet is reasonablly priced but the keyboard cost is extortionate
    Thanks for the heads up @gshaw, however @VeryPC_Colin_M is currently sorting something out for me, just awaiting to hear back from him.
    Very impressed with the service from VeryPC and haven't even brought anything yet!

  20. Thanks to L3OUGH from:

    VeryPC_Colin_M (11th July 2014)

  21. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    148
    Thank Post
    5
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    Very impressed with the service from VeryPC and haven't even brought anything yet!
    That's how they get ya

  22. Thanks to j224 from:

    VeryPC_Colin_M (3rd July 2014)

  23. #15

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,927
    Thank Post
    155
    Thanked 605 Times in 544 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    This was what I found:

    Buy HP Pavilion x2 11-h003sa 11.6" 2 in 1 | Free Delivery | Currys

    Not re-imaged one to know how hard getting 8.1 Enterprise on it will be yet. Obviously I haven't bought it from Currys or paid that price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Microsoft Surface at BETT 09
    By apearce in forum BETT 2014
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 22nd January 2009, 04:25 PM
  2. Microsoft Surface
    By m1ddy in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th May 2008, 03:22 PM
  3. The Microsoft Surface
    By Mr_T in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th June 2007, 08:48 AM
  4. Microsoft Surface
    By russdev in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 09:40 AM
  5. Microsoft Surface (I want!)
    By Rozzer in forum Windows
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30th May 2007, 03:20 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •