+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Primary Schoo Head: Microsoft Surface - Alternatives. in Technical; Hi all, The head of my primary school wants a Surface or something similar to use on the fly, during ...

Thank Post

Primary Schoo Head: Microsoft Surface - Alternatives.

Hi all,

The head of my primary school wants a Surface or something similar to use on the fly, during meetings and when she's off site etc. Obviously as we all know, Surfaces are pretty expensive and there are a host of Windows based tablet alternatives.

But I've not used any for any real amount of time, so please give me some advice on which devices to recommend to her if you have any experience!

It must have:

- Windows tablet OS (Rules iPad + Android out straight away)
    - Would be nice to have a keyboard
    - Not a HUUUGE screen like on the Samsung ActivTabs (or whatever they are called)
    - Must have Office pre-installed (Majority of them do have this now don't they?)

Also can anyone shed any light on something for me?

Can you install '.EXE' programs and the such on the tablets now? I know on the original surface, the ability to install things, was only available on the Pro edition of the device.

If this is the case, any recommendations where the ability is there is a total bonus!

Here is an alternative I've found, any opinions?

http://www.ebuyer.com/579702-asus-t1...-t100ta-dk002h

Thanks

Liam
    Last edited by L3OUGH; 1st July 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We bought a couple of these recently. Seem reasonably solid, well priced, they certainly work as intended. It's full Windows so it's just the same as a PC regarding the installation of software. Ours are not domain joined, SIMS used remotely etc but that shouldn't be too much of a difficulty - a reinstall of windows to a domain joinable version (and the relevant licence) is obviously required for that. Bit tight on space though...
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 1st July 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    We bought a couple of these recently. Seem reasonably solid, well priced, they certainly work as intended. It's full Windows so it's just the same as a PC regarding the installation of software. Ours are not domain joined, SIMS used remotely etc but that shouldn't be too much of a difficulty - a reinstall of windows to a domain joinable version (and the relevant licence) is obviously required for that.
    A couple of those ASUS T100's?? Or a couples surfaces?

And have staff taken to them well then? We had a brief trial at my base secondary school and staff didn't take to them as much as I was expecting! They prefer iPads!

Thank Post
    Remember the distinction between Windows 8/8.1 and Windows RT. If it's running the former, it'll run your regular desktop apps - if it's the latter it's apps from the store only.

The T100 hits your criteria. The specs are not that great (especially compared to the Surface Pro) but they're nice little machines so long as you don't try imaging them. I'm looking at getting some HP Pavilion x2 11t tablets in - they're also dockable with a keyboard but have 4GB of RAM, faster processors and larger storage. Hopefully they support 64 bit Windows too unlike the T100 etc. The screens are bigger though, closer to Surface sized.

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

L3OUGH (1st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The T100-T's yes. The staff seem to like them so far on the understanding they're not network units. Note taking, browsing, VLE and remote SIMS, so far they're happy with that. Early days yet though, they've only had them a fortnight or so. I didn't get as far as trying a windows install on them, was worried about the install size of a 64bit Windows 8 on a 32GB storage..

7. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

L3OUGH (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    VeryPC had some nice looking Windows Tablets similar to the Surfaces at the EduGeek Edit conference - seemed like they'd be worth checking out...

9. 2 Thanks to RichCowell:

L3OUGH (2nd July 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (1st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this the primary computer or a companion device, if it is the primary don't muck about with the little ones, get a surface pro 2 or 3, if it is a companion device then you can look at the stuff from VeryPC and the Dell Venue Pro 11 which both run full Windows 8 - which will run exe - rather than RT.

Just buy Office separately or use your volume licence agreement if you have one to put Office on, only RT devices have it bundled and that is a cut down version.

11. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

L3OUGH (2nd July 2014), VeryPC_Colin_M (1st July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The T100-T's yes. The staff seem to like them so far on the understanding they're not network units. Note taking, browsing, VLE and remote SIMS, so far they're happy with that. Early days yet though, they've only had them a fortnight or so. I didn't get as far as trying a windows install on them, was worried about the install size of a 64bit Windows 8 on a 32GB storage..
    Awesome, thanks for that! Definitely a contender, the head likes it!

Quote Originally Posted by RichCowell View Post
    VeryPC had some nice looking Windows Tablets similar to the Surfaces at the EduGeek Edit conference - seemed like they'd be worth checking out...
    @VeryPC_Colin_M can you PM any info, prices, spec and images across? ASAP if possible as head wants something ordered today!!

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Is this the primary computer or a companion device, if it is the primary don't muck about with the little ones, get a surface pro 2 or 3, if it is a companion device then you can look at the stuff from VeryPC and the Dell Venue Pro 11 which both run full Windows 8 - which will run exe - rather than RT.

Just buy Office separately or use your volume licence agreement if you have one to put Office on, only RT devices have it bundled and that is a cut down version.
    It's a companion device. Otherwise I'd be looking at the Surfaces Pro's like you say. But its only use will be for web browsing, note taking during meetings, accessing emails without the need to be physically sat in her office etc etc. You get the jist!

Thank Post
    Dear Mr @L3OUGH, PM sent chief. Best, Col

Thank Post
    @VeryPC_Colin_M loves a Windows Tablet thread

15. Thanks to Griff from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    @VeryPC_Colin_M loves a Windows Tablet thread
    Yep! I'm trying to drive the process here at VeryPC. I am a firm believer in tablets for the improvement of learning / teaching, but do tend to favour laptops when anything over core-i3 processing is required. In Colin's future vision of the world, all kids have a rugged VeryPC Intel Classmate, relevant books and learning resources for their year are all available via a central government portal or school MIS Library and homework can be set, done and managed on the fly with kids having access to their teacher through a connected environment. Then there are ICT suites full of colourful VeryPC desktops, and classrooms each with a VeryPC Glide AIO connected to an interactive display. Teacher monitoring work on each tablet from the comfort of their seat with kids using the edupack contents like the thermal probe to do Science, and the micro lens acting as a visualiser , etc

Thank Post
    Check out this as well, Surface look-alike and comes in at a very competitive price. Nicer build than the T100 imo (having trialled both)

mySN.co.uk | XMG | Schenker Technologies - Schenker Element Tablet

The Dell Venue 11 Pro is also a lovely bit of kit but the Atom model + keyboard is going to hit over the £500 mark (possibly more). Shame as the base tablet is reasonablly priced but the keyboard cost is extortionate
    Last edited by gshaw; 2nd July 2014 at 12:33 PM.

18. Thanks to gshaw from:

L3OUGH (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Check out this as well, Surface look-alike and comes in at a very competitive price. Nicer build than the T100 imo (having trialled both)

mySN.co.uk | XMG | Schenker Technologies - Schenker Element Tablet

The Dell Venue 11 Pro is also a lovely bit of kit but the Atom model + keyboard is going to hit over the £500 mark (possibly more). Shame as the base tablet is reasonablly priced but the keyboard cost is extortionate
    Thanks for the heads up @gshaw, however @VeryPC_Colin_M is currently sorting something out for me, just awaiting to hear back from him.
    Very impressed with the service from VeryPC and haven't even brought anything yet!

20. Thanks to L3OUGH from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (11th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by L3OUGH View Post
    Very impressed with the service from VeryPC and haven't even brought anything yet!
    That's how they get ya

22. Thanks to j224 from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (3rd July 2014)

Thank Post
    This was what I found:

Buy HP Pavilion x2 11-h003sa 11.6" 2 in 1 | Free Delivery | Currys

Not re-imaged one to know how hard getting 8.1 Enterprise on it will be yet. Obviously I haven't bought it from Currys or paid that price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread