+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Mail behaviour on iPads in and out of school in Technical; Since we had iPads now some 18 months ago we have noticed an odd issue when it comes to mail ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mail behaviour on iPads in and out of school

Since we had iPads now some 18 months ago we have noticed an odd issue when it comes to mail messages on the devices. SWGfL is our ISP and we use Easymail. Sending Easymail when in school is straightforward and not a problem. However, sending from any other mail account on the devices results in the message hanging in the outbox and it won't go till away from the school network.

Conversely, sending say from a home network with any non Easymail account is fine but with a Easymail - this is the really strange bit, if it's to someone on the same domain no problem but to another domain again it hangs in the outbox and won't send until opened and resent when in school.

Thank Post
    I believe I've already answered this.

EasyMail will not allow you to use the SMTP server whilst on a non-SWGfL connection. It's not an iPad issue, it will also fail in Outlook on a Windows machine.

Some fixes include trying to use someone else's SMTP server (although I never got this to work) or even better move to Office 365 or Google Apps. It'll cost you nothing to setup and maybe £200 to pay someone to migrate for you.

3. Thanks to snagrat from:

speckytecky (7th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Google Apps have just released a cloud based migration tool so it should be very easy now to migrate from EasyMail to Gmail.

Google Apps update alerts: Cloud based migration of email to Google Apps

Can't advise on Office 365 but it does have migration tools.

I moved all my schools from EasyMail to Google Apps for Education yeas ago as EasyMail is very basic / restrictive.

5. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snagrat View Post
    I believe I've already answered this.

EasyMail will not allow you to use the SMTP server whilst on a non-SWGfL connection. It's not an iPad issue, it will also fail in Outlook on a Windows machine.

Some fixes include trying to use someone else's SMTP server (although I never got this to work) or even better move to Office 365 or Google Apps. It'll cost you nothing to setup and maybe £200 to pay someone to migrate for you.
    Lol, have you not read the posts concerning migrating from SWGfL easymail service to O365 there have been issues.

But if it is a case of the smtp server which is a bit rubbish there are services you can subscribe to such as Enterprise SMTP Inbound and Outbound Email Solutions rather than use the SWGfL server.

Ben

7. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks duly given - answers as ever much appreciated. At least I can now clear up this particular PE Teachers perception that it was something I had done in setting up her iPad! We will in the near future be migrating to O365. Very interested to see the above. We did opt in for the initial offer by SWGfL for 'free' migration but then they ran into 'issues' with lost folders and binned that. Next we opted for the paid for service by them but they ended up cancelling our PO as again things proved too difficult.

With great assistance from other Forum members I've not been able to crack it myself so had approval to buy in migration and have been astonished by both the feel I have had for the level of competence by some quoting and also their price range which for a total of 130 accounts has ranged from the low hundreds to a staggering £4.5k!

Thank Post
    We finally have a wireless network and I've noticed that Gmail has to be accessed via the URL as the App doesn't recognise the Proxy Server on my android phone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Lol, have you not read the posts concerning migrating from SWGfL easymail service to O365 there have been issues.

Ben
    I've migrated about 20 SWGfL schools from EasyMail to Office 365 without issue at all.

I can't see why it matters based on number of accounts as I do all through scripts so doing 100 takes the same time as 10.
    Last edited by plexer; 7th June 2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: What could be considered advertising has been edited

11. Thanks to snagrat from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thanks duly given - answers as ever much appreciated. At least I can now clear up this particular PE Teachers perception that it was something I had done in setting up her iPad! We will in the near future be migrating to O365. Very interested to see the above. We did opt in for the initial offer by SWGfL for 'free' migration but then they ran into 'issues' with lost folders and binned that. Next we opted for the paid for service by them but they ended up cancelling our PO as again things proved too difficult.

With great assistance from other Forum members I've not been able to crack it myself so had approval to buy in migration and have been astonished by both the feel I have had for the level of competence by some quoting and also their price range which for a total of 130 accounts has ranged from the low hundreds to a staggering £4.5k!

Or you could set up iCloud for each user, free although no migration tools

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread