+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, ipad2 not reconnect to wifi after going to sleep and then being moved around school in Technical; Hi Guys I have an issue with ipad 2 not reconnected to 2 of my schools the wireless networks automatically, ...

Thank Post

ipad2 not reconnect to wifi after going to sleep and then being moved around school

Hi Guys

I have an issue with ipad 2 not reconnected to 2 of my schools the wireless networks automatically, normally when the iPads were attached to one access point, then gone to sleep and moved so be connecting to a different access point when it wakes up 9 times out of 10, the Wi-Fi said it’s connected but it won’t work, by switching the iPad into airplane mode for a few seconds and then off again fixes it. IPhones and mini ipad have no problem whatsoever it’s just the iPad 2. I can move around the school streaming iplayer videos on both the iPads2 and ipad mini. So I’m sure that it’s not the wireless setup but as soon as you put them to sleep walk to a different part of the school and try to wake them the iPad mini no problem connects and start streaming again the iPad 2 you have to switch off the wifi to get it reconnected.

The wireless setup in both schools is managed H3C WX2024 controller with WA2612 access points setup with a single BSSD name with access controlled with a shared key (WPA2). In one school they don’t move the iPads2 around much so it’s not really a problem each class has 6, but in the other school they have a trolley of 32 ipads 2 which they move around the school constantly. All the other schools I support have different managed wifi systems as they were put in later and all have iPad mini, it’s taken me a bit of time to figure out it’s just the iPad 2 that have the problem. Looking on the web it possibility appears to be that the iPad 1 and 2 and iphone 4 don’t roam correctly between access points when they go to sleep

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15276143#15276143

The was another one which can’t find at the moment which basically said refresh the IP address or switch the iPad into airplane mode and off again. I was just wondering if anyone else on here who has iPad 2 has a similar issue.

Thanks
    Last edited by DEfrostphone; 30th May 2014 at 07:44 AM.

Thank Post
    We've had a similar issue to you, have you made sure your iPads have the latest version of iOS on them? when we went from v6.x.x to v7.x.x it sorted the issue for us!I think it is just something to do how the iPad 2's work and the Wi-Fi setup you're using, sometimes they just don't work that well together. We also have iPad Mini's and iPad Airs and they've also worked perfectly out of the box I suppose it's because they put in a better Wi-Fi card but don't quote me on that!

In the long run I wouldn't see it as that much of an issue and I'd report the issue to my LM just to let him know what they are doing, talk to Apple also if they can't help you then you can just blame it on the shiney's and let staff know kids may have to turn Airplane mode on and off to get Wi-Fi signal back. I wouldn't threat too much about it buddy!

3. Thanks to abillybob from:

DEfrostphone (30th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I was pretty sure it was an iPad2 issue but just wanted some confirmation that other places were having issues. Personally it looks to me to be the iPad 2 don’t hand off correctly when you go to sleep and remember the access point they were last attached to and automatically attempt to re-attached to that no problem if you are in a house with only one, but any larger environment it’s a problem guess that’s why this rectified it in new versions.

I have upgraded to the latest ios 7 but it doesn't seem to make made a big different. To be honest that’s what I’ve done in the schools I have created a hand out explaining how to switch the Wi-Fi on and off with lots of pictures to make it teacher proof! But one of the schools is making a big issue out of it then it needs to be!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DEfrostphone View Post
    I have upgraded to the latest ios 7 but it doesn't seem to make made a big different. To be honest that’s what I’ve done in the schools I have created a hand out explaining how to switch the Wi-Fi on and off with lots of pictures to make it teacher proof! But one of the schools is making a big issue out of it then it needs to be!
    Some places are never happy until it's 100% perfect but they have to get used to the fact when implementing devices they know nothing about and don't have the infrastructure to cope it's going to cause problems that can't be rectified sometimes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ipad2 not reconnect to wifi after going to sleep and then being moved around ...

Call HP for support, they will have seen it before and have a solution. I've heard that Cisco, Aruba and Meru all had issues with ios devices around the ipad2 launch time, initially solved by nasty customer visible hacks, and eventually just included into firmware (and possibly improvements to wifi behaviour from IOS updates).

Thank Post
    it connect to a wifi hot spot on a phone we had one recently that had a damaged wifi antenna same symptons as above, but only realised that was it when it failed to connect at home

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread