+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Managed Distribution in Technical; Originally Posted by snagrat I'm looking at doing this. Is there a way to bulk create Apple IDs for the ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snagrat View Post
    I'm looking at doing this. Is there a way to bulk create Apple IDs for the iPads?
    No way of creating bulk apple ids, but be careful apple do check how many apple id’s have been made from an IP address and if you get found out you get put on the blacklist and all the id’s you made could be deactivated and also you can’t create anymore.

The way round this is to ask apple to put you on the whitelist which if I remember rightly this can take 6 weeks to do and you are not guaranteed to get on. If you do get on it you can make unlimited apple id’s from that certain IP address.

2. Thanks to Shadow_Walker from:

aidenbran2000 (28th May 2014)

Thank Post
    We use one Apple ID on all 120 of our ipads, along with Meraki and the Apple VPP

*edit - believe if you want merkai to push and silently install the apps, you have to have an apple ID for each iPad

As we use the same ID we can still selectively allocate the app to which ever ipads we want once weve bought the app in VPP but then have to type in apple ID password on each ipad.
    Last edited by Max_Power; 21st May 2014 at 08:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    We use one Apple ID on all 120 of our ipads, along with Meraki and the Apple VPP

*edit - believe if you want merkai to push and silently install the apps, you have to have an apple ID for each iPad

As we use the same ID we can still selectively allocate the app to which ever ipads we want once weve bought the app in VPP but then have to type in apple ID password on each ipad.
    When you say VPP, is that redemption codes or managed distribution?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Walker View Post
    No way of creating bulk apple ids, but be careful apple do check how many apple id’s have been made from an IP address and if you get found out you get put on the blacklist and all the id’s you made could be deactivated and also you can’t create anymore.

The way round this is to ask apple to put you on the whitelist which if I remember rightly this can take 6 weeks to do and you are not guaranteed to get on. If you do get on it you can make unlimited apple id’s from that certain IP address.
    I wonder if this works? Batch Apple ID Creator | Enterprise iOS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Never come across that before, but in my opinion I would stay away from that, especially if you are struggling at the moment just to push an app out as it may get a bit too confusing for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @SYNACK I am confused. Are you saying you use 1 ID for 15 devices and still use VPP managed distribution?
    Yes, apps are pushed per user and since all ours need the same apps it works fine, we always buy the actual amount of licences needed for the physical iPad though that way we are covered. This is via managed distribution.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

aidenbran2000 (28th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, apps are pushed per user and since all ours need the same apps it works fine, we always buy the actual amount of licences needed for the physical iPad though that way we are covered. This is via managed distribution.
    So, you have all your apps pushed out to devices all using lets say email@email.com as the Apple ID. Do you do this through an MDM? I assume you can revoke licenses this way to get them back to use with other Apple ID's if you wish?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, you have all your apps pushed out to devices all using lets say email@email.com as the Apple ID. Do you do this through an MDM? I assume you can revoke licenses this way to get them back to use with other Apple ID's if you wish?

Yes, they are all tied to a local user on the mac server which is tied to an apple id in profile manager mdm. We can add or remove apps as we choose.

There is one batch setup before management so those have individual accounts per ipad with all their previously brought apps then we vpp them to push out any new stuff we get so the new stuff at least is managable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Walker View Post
    Never come across that before, but in my opinion I would stay away from that, especially if you are struggling at the moment just to push an app out as it may get a bit too confusing for you.
    Only joking

Thank Post
    No they don't.

You use your laptop to create the apple ID via itunes

The way to do it is load iTunes, but a free app, and at the end when it asks for payment options choose none.

Thank Post
    We found we could make 10 initially (apple IDs), and now are lucky to be able to create 3 a day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
    We found we could make 10 initially (apple IDs), and now are lucky to be able to create 3 a day.

That is because your are at the limit with Apple's fraud detection on it's servers, Apple use lots of security tools to check which IP and domain the request is originating from and if you try to overstep that limit it will harder and harder for you to create them as Apple think you are a fraudster.

It's now much easier to request a whitelisting request from Apple just email VPP support, you will get 30 days to create all of the Apple ID's you need. I've just had a school get a request passed by emailing them direct.

Thank Post
    You can set up an Apple ID without a credit card. There us now a payment option of none.
    If you are setting up the apple ids for people you can only create about 15 in any 20-30 minute period from the same IPZ address unless you get apple in the states to whitelist your address.

If you have any overseas pupils and they bring a non uk Apple ID with them you can't also deploy apps via code or VPP token as they can usually only be redeemed in the UK store ( we have overseas borders).

There's nothing in apples software to stop you using a single Apple ID (yet ) but it's against their rules - although it's difficult to tie them down on numbers, they mention 5 devices per Apple ID on the phone. Using one I'd sends the wrong signals to the pupils and will result in problems getting support from apple.

Meraki is a free MDM for small numbers of devices (<100). Lightspeed or air watch seem to be the market leaders but can be pricy.

Biggest tip - get strong cases. Pref a griffin or similar.

biz
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post

We have a very similar setup, the biggest number of iPads we have on the same Apple ID is around 80 as each primary school has a single Apple ID for all their iPads. We use Meraki and the VPP to distribute apps to selected iPads, but we (meaning I) have to type the Apple ID password into every iPad each time I push a batch of apps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12