+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Speech to Text: Tablet suggestions? in Technical; We have a couple students that require speech to text. Is anyone using a tablet to do this? Speech to ...
  1. #1
    jmair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    274
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Speech to Text: Tablet suggestions?

    We have a couple students that require speech to text. Is anyone using a tablet to do this? Speech to text into a word processor (even google drive) is what we're looking for. Any suggestions before I mindlessly start buying things? =)

  2. #2
    IrritableTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    797
    Thank Post
    84
    Thanked 173 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    We've found iOS better than android with this. iPads need wifi/3G to do it and decider the speech on Apple servers, where as you can download a speech recognition addon with android, and it's all done in the device.

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,878
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Rep Power
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    We've found iOS better than Android with this.
    Don't you mean Android is better than iOS?

  4. #4
    IrritableTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    797
    Thank Post
    84
    Thanked 173 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Don't you mean Android is better than iOS?
    'fraid not. :-) Apple much more accurate and quicker. Your mileage may vary though - It could come down to accents, speed of speech etc.

  5. #5

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    8,885
    Thank Post
    351
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 880 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1128
    If Chrome is not out of the question you could have a look at this thread:

    Link: Dictation - Online Speech Recognition [Google Chrome]

  6. #6
    jmair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    274
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    If Chrome is not out of the question you could have a look at this thread:

    Link: Dictation - Online Speech Recognition [Google Chrome]
    We are currently using this with our laptops, but a device that cuts out the copy/paste and tabbing over would save the kid some headaches.

    I didn't know that the ipad could sheech to text directly to a word processor or to google drive/docs. I'll check that out.

    Thanks folks!

  7. #7

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,624
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 778 Times in 675 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    We've found iOS better than android with this. iPads need wifi/3G to do it and decider the speech on Apple servers, where as you can download a speech recognition addon with android, and it's all done in the device.
    Assuming the speech-to-text engine used is the same as for Siri, that's actually Nuance Communications' system and, if I remember the firewall exceptions I had to allow, servers. That's the makers of Dragon Dictate, so you can use the same engine on the PC and possibly Android.

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,878
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Rep Power
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    'fraid not. :-) Apple much more accurate and quicker. Your mileage may vary though - it could come down to accents, speed of speech etc.
    I've found Google's speech recognition to be pretty accurate on my own smartphone, although it's not perfect by any means. Perhaps the personalization helps? On shared devices it might not be as good?

    Likewise, the "Enhanced Dictation" feature in OS X Mavericks was very good. I haven't tried iOS or Nuance's Swype + Dragon keyboard yet.

    Perhaps it's just me (quite possible ), but the way the second part of your post was written made it sound like you had iOS and Android the wrong way around - since Android can do the speech recognition offline it should be faster (at least in theory)?
    Last edited by Arthur; 13th May 2014 at 12:46 AM.

  9. #9
    Brimstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Worcester
    Posts
    146
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Assuming the speech-to-text engine used is the same as for Siri, that's actually Nuance Communications' system and, if I remember the firewall exceptions I had to allow, servers. That's the makers of Dragon Dictate, so you can use the same engine on the PC and possibly Android.
    And they make an app for the iPad, very good as well.

    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/drag...341446764?mt=8

  10. 2 Thanks to Brimstone:

    dhicks (13th May 2014), IrritableTech (13th May 2014)

  11. #10
    IrritableTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    797
    Thank Post
    84
    Thanked 173 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Perhaps it's just me (quite possible ), but the way the second part of your post was written made it sound like you had iOS and Android the wrong way around - since Android can do the speech recognition offline it should be faster (at least in theory)?
    Sorry for the confusion. When I last tried it, I found the android tried to do it online (we had issues with our LEA and their firewall), eventually failed, then tried locally causing big delays. Even when taking the device home to avoid the filter, I found it slow.
    This was about 18 months ago now though.

    The dragon option looks good though. Only issue seems to be that you need to dictate into the app, then copy or send it to somewhere useful. iOS dictation can be used anywhere you can input text.
    Last edited by IrritableTech; 13th May 2014 at 09:54 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th July 2012, 08:58 AM
  2. Output machine AD groups to text file?
    By FN-GM in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15th February 2012, 12:42 AM
  3. [OPEN] Bug/Error: Editing a post after an embedded URL forces all new to text to be underlined
    By Dos_Box in forum EduGeek.net Site Problems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th October 2011, 09:21 AM
  4. Export MYSQL To Text File
    By DaveP in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th October 2010, 02:55 PM
  5. PHP to text file
    By Hightower in forum Web Development
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th October 2008, 09:52 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •