+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, LearnPads have been deployed in Technical; Well I have been trying to get my primary to purchase some LearnPads for almost 2 years and finally 6 ...

Thank Post

LearnPads have been deployed

Well I have been trying to get my primary to purchase some LearnPads for almost 2 years and finally 6 arrived before the Easter Break. They have only been in the classroom for a few days and the schools want more.

I spent a few hours designing a desktop with a nice background picture and added some curriculum folders and apps and then sent that desktop out to all the LeanPads without any fuss.

I am finding the QRcode very handy, so have created codes for wifi, proxy, and the desktop I created.

Not had a chance to go any deeper but they seem very stable and must have fixed the wifi issues some had mentioned in other posts.

2. 2 Thanks to edutech4schools:

laserblazer (29th April 2014), lionsl2005 (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    They're great aren't they? Had some on trial and never got any further (dont ask) the QR codes thing is brilliant, you can do all kinds of clever stuff with them from logins to quiz round the school with them sticking the codes up in various places.

Great fun

Thank Post
    Had some on trial and never got any further (dont ask)
    Sounds like me. I demoed the software on my tablet a long long time ago and all the staff + head said how amazing they are. Apparently they never had the money to buy any, but now they have tried them in a class for real, money seems to have appeared for more. lol.
    Last edited by edutech4schools; 29th April 2014 at 02:12 PM.

Thank Post
    They look better tools than the iPads but at the end of the day the sad truth is what looks better when advertising your school the fact you use Apple iPads or Learnpads, parents will choose accordingly!

6. Thanks to abillybob from:

Bananas (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Have had a few trials of it over the last couple of years and it really is a fantastic tool, head and shoulders above any other MDM type system I have seen for a school.

Thank Post
    They look better tools than the iPads but at the end of the day the sad truth is what looks better when advertising your school the fact you use Apple iPads or Learnpads, parents will choose accordingly!
    Really. You would send your child to a school because they use I-Pads over other devices. When choosing a school I looked at Ofsted reports, SATS results etc but never thought about who made the devices the school use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Really. You would send your child to a school because they use I-Pads over other devices. When choosing a school I looked at Ofsted reports, SATS results etc but never thought about who made the devices the school use.
    Nope not me particularly although if you have two schools which where both as good as each other. One had Apple iPads and the other used learnpads what do you think the parents would do? Unfortunately that is the sad truth, it sounds stupid I know but when parents come and view the school the first thing they comment about is out MBP, iMacs and iPad intergration and a lot of the parents say "Wow" it's because they are pretty, but pretty things attract customers, that is the sad truth.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    Nope not me particularly although if you have two schools which where both as good as each other. One had Apple iPads and the other used learnpads what do you think the parents would do? Unfortunately that is the sad truth, it sounds stupid I know but when parents come and view the school the first thing they comment about is out MBP, iMacs and iPad intergration and a lot of the parents say "Wow" it's because they are pretty, but pretty things attract customers, that is the sad truth.
    Exactly! With no thought for the poor Network Managers who have to move mountains to make these devices work in a way that will improve learning, and or / help staff work smarter.

11. 2 Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M:

abillybob (29th April 2014), BKGarry (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    That's why you do the smart thing and say tablets etc without mentioning names

Thank Post
    Well I have been trying to get my primary to purchase some LearnPads for almost 2 years and finally 6 arrived before the Easter Break.
    I've been thinking of getting an Android tablet for development work (it turns out no iOS web browser supports the GetUserMedia API for getting video and audio from tablet devices yet), and one of those LearnPads looks rather tempting. Does anyone know what version of Android they run? Do they come with a web browser installed, or can we simply install whatever further apps we like?

Thank Post
    Surely you choose what's best to manage, best to teach with and best for the pupils to learn with. If the parents don't get the fact that the school probably knows the best way to teach and the best way to do the teaching, then you might as well let the parents do the teaching and go home.

Also lots of parents I know say iphone this and ipad that when they are generally talking about tablets and phones. My mum is always asking me to help her with her ipad, she has an Android, lol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I've been thinking of getting an Android tablet for development work (it turns out no iOS web browser supports the GetUserMedia API for getting video and audio from tablet devices yet), and one of those LearnPads looks rather tempting. Does anyone know what version of Android they run? Do they come with a web browser installed, or can we simply install whatever further apps we like?
    How about one of our 7" Classmate Android Tablets @dhicks? Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Intel on Intel device fully loaded with Intel Education Software and Classroom management support and a 3 year NBD replacement warranty. Plus it comes in a brilliant origami case that acts as a smart cover and a stand. 84 + VAT + CARRIAGE
    Classmate A7.jpg

16. 3 Thanks to VeryPC_Colin_M:

Bananas (30th April 2014), dhicks (29th April 2014), stevenlong1985 (30th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I can check the version and browser app on Thursday for you.

If its for development work and adults will be the only users, you might as well get a normal android tablet. Something like,

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8 inch as this is a perfect size, not to big but big enough to watch a film on.

or you could get a Nexus tablet from Google.

18. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

dhicks (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Colin_M View Post
    How about one of our 7" Classmate Android Tablets @dhicks? Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Intel on Intel device fully loaded with Intel Education Software and Classroom management support and a 3 year NBD replacement warranty. Plus it comes in a brilliant origami case that acts as a smart cover and a stand. 84 + VAT + CARRIAGE
    Classmate A7.jpg
    Very nice though I do have to say I prefer the look of your Windows tablets with full Windows 8.1 Pro on

20. Thanks to abillybob from:

VeryPC_Colin_M (29th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I can check the version and browser app on Thursday for you. If its for development work and adults will be the only users, you might as well get a normal android tablet. Something like, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8 inch as this is a perfect size, not to big but big enough to watch a film on.
    Thanks. I've got to admit, I didn't realise Android tablets had gotten quite so cheap - those Classmates look very good very for money, as do the Galaxy Tab 3s. This is for classroom use by children (small ones, year 1), using the camera and microphone to take pictures and record sound, so something a bit robust (and with half decent camera and mic) would probably be best.
    Last edited by dhicks; 29th April 2014 at 08:41 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast