+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Macbook Caching Server in Technical; I need to manage iPads at three sites and the internet connection is terrible at two of them. I will ...

Thank Post

Macbook Caching Server

I need to manage iPads at three sites and the internet connection is terrible at two of them. I will be using Meraki as our MDM. Is there a way to cache the apps on the local server if I push apps out through Meraki? Or will the caching only work through a purely Apple deployment?

My plan was to have a Macbook as an admin mac with Server OSX on that I can take to each site and use the Caching Server 2 just while the iPads download the apps. It would be the same Macbook that I would use for configurator, because we aren't made of money.

If this would work, would the cached apps be available to iPads at other sites as well?

Thank Post
    In theory yes, but I assume you would have to get the caching server to re-register with Apple each time you change site. The link below explains really well how the system works and talks about the registration process

I blog in a Scottish accent: Caching Server 2

3. Thanks to actech from:

madurham (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madurham View Post
    I need to manage iPads at three sites and the internet connection is terrible at two of them. I will be using Meraki as our MDM. Is there a way to cache the apps on the local server if I push apps out through Meraki? Or will the caching only work through a purely Apple deployment?

My plan was to have a Macbook as an admin mac with Server OSX on that I can take to each site and use the Caching Server 2 just while the iPads download the apps. It would be the same Macbook that I would use for configurator, because we aren't made of money.

If this would work, would the cached apps be available to iPads at other sites as well?
    Each site would need a static public I.P. address pointing to the Mac OS X Server otherwise caching server will not work

5. Thanks to Brimstone from:

madurham (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Cheers guys. Looks like something we can't set up for our primaries for now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread