+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Few queries on iPad in Technical; So, the head teacher decided to get some iPads for the school, which are going to be used on a ...

Thank Post

Few queries on iPad

So, the head teacher decided to get some iPads for the school, which are going to be used on a class basis (i.e. 1 per class).

Not having really used iPads in school, I'm not fully sure how it's all going to work, and I can't see the benefit of just 1 per class, but we'll leave that behind for now...

Anyway, have managed to get registered with Meraki for their MDM, and have started using that. Managed to get apps deploying all OK.

I've set up an itunes account for each device at present (sure there's a better way, but will do for now), but I was wondering whether there was any way of locking down, so that a user cannot go in to the settings, and log out from that account?!

Also, is there any way of locking out email, so that you can only get in to it, if you enter a passcode or something?!

Cheers,

David

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelldr View Post
    I was wondering whether there was any way of locking down, so that a user cannot go in to the settings, and log out from that account?!
    To my knowledge, nope. Thats a limitation of the glorious fruit! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on iPads will be along shortly though.

Thank Post
    So, the head teacher decided to get some iPads for the school, which are going to be used on a class basis (i.e. 1 per class).

Not having really used iPads in school, I'm not fully sure how it's all going to work, and I can't see the benefit of just 1 per class, but we'll leave that behind for now...

Anyway, have managed to get registered with Meraki for their MDM, and have started using that. Managed to get apps deploying all OK.

I've set up an itunes account for each device at present (sure there's a better way, but will do for now), but I was wondering whether there was any way of locking down, so that a user cannot go in to the settings, and log out from that account?!

Also, is there any way of locking out email, so that you can only get in to it, if you enter a passcode or something?!

Cheers,

David
    Hi David,

I'm not sure about the Meraki MDM but I'm pretty sure you can lock this out using the Lightspeed MDM. The only trouble is, that one isn't free

Luke

Thank Post

Cheers,

David
    Hey Buddy, unfortunatley not, the settings app will always be open for misuse there is no way of locking that down. You can stop people from deleting iPad profiles but these only work on configurator made profiles. I don't understand how you're going to implement 1 per class that just seems strange!! You can lock down certain things and Meraki will allow you to do that although Meraki's profiles can be deleted as you can't setup a pass code on them so whatever lockdown you create keep in mind it can be wiped by anyone using the iPad via the settings app as the settings app is unavailable to lockdown!

Unfortunately they are personal devices and are hard to manage in a shared environment. If you get stuck or have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll help you out as much as I can!

Alex

Thank Post
    I've basically had to turn my general technician into a 50% iPad Technician. We have almost 200 of the b*st&rd things now.

6. Thanks to Trapper from:

speckytecky (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    All the above complete rubbish......

Yes you can lock accounts for email, Apple ID, social media etc on each iPad, you can do this via Apple Configurator (the iPads have to be supervised) or you can do this via restrictions on each iPad.

Goto General>Restrictions..create a restriction passcode>scroll to allow changes>accounts> turn on don't allow changes. Whilst the settings are still accessible any accounts for the Apple ID, iCloud, Messages, Facetime and social networking are now locked and can't be accessed or changed.

Thank Post
    MDM can only do so much, on device restrictions are even more powerful as shown above ^

In response to your Apple ID query, just make one Apple ID and don't have one per device. To utilize the full area of Apple Restrictions you really need to supervise them, and this means buying a Mac with Configurator.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread