+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Ipad Woes in Technical; Hi there I've read quite a few threads on Ipads here on Edugeek........and I recognised some of the headaches we ...
    Thank Post

Ipad Woes

Hi there
    I've read quite a few threads on Ipads here on Edugeek........and I recognised some of the headaches we are all having in mass deploying Ipads We use Meraki here which is ok but I still can't understand ( and it's not Meraki's fault) why is it when you push an app out you have to put in a password physically on each Ipad....is this still the case? I am a bit lost with it all as someone else set them up. I heard IOS 7 ( the new update) get's rid of these issues. Can anyone chime in here please?

We had a problem here recently where the Ipads wouldn't go on the internet....quite a few suddenly stopped working. We locked down the Ipads by setting a proxy (pointing to a a .pac file ) ....which is fine, but when something goes wrong ( and I still can't workout what exactly) you find you are stuffed because you can't get to the network settings ( as they are locked down!). It would seem the only way of solving this is to put them through the Apple Configurator again ( but doing this you end up wiping them as they are supervised! I made that discovery one day to my disbelief when I suddenly blanked one).

Sorry this is a general post - just wanted to see what others do nowadays.......are you still using Meraki or are you deploying apps now via your Apple Server? We've bought loads of apps with redeemable codes so I'm not sure what we do if we decided to go down another path......if there is a better solution for these things...do you lock down your network settings and .pac file it in Apple Configurator?
    Last edited by pixellip; 7th April 2014 at 03:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Starting deployment with OSX server and seem to have made it work silently but how well it persists is another story. I am hopeful but it is early days. You can apparently convert the code based licences to token ones but I am not certain. @seawolf may be able to provide a more informative answer.

Thank Post
    I just use Apple Configurator nowadays, I've been through them all Meraki, Profile Manager and another one that I forget the name of. Point being yes they all ask for passwords. iPads don't like proxy's and you will find some apps that just won't use the proxy setting so the best way is to set up a transparent proxy. I had headaches with all of them in the end and MDM's normally work better in a 1:1 environment with separate ID's per pupil, this isn't the case in most schools. Always remember anything Apple update-wise is a rumor, it's very rare Apple tell people about new features etc... So that no password prompt your asking about seems to be another rumor. I know some people that have some how got it setup but don't count on it as the people that have somehow stopped the password prompt can't remember how they have done it and cant tell you how to do it either.

Even Apple Configurator has it's issues but that seems the most robust option in my opinion and you may also find that now you have uploaded your codes to Meraki Apple configurator will say you have used most of those codes and you will have lost them. Oh the joys....

Thank Post
    Thanks Synack......so it's still work in progress.....hmmmmm interesting...did I read Profile Manager was a bit flaky ...( I think my colleague tried it but went back to Workgroup Manager but don't have the specifics).....

Thank Post
    Thanks abillybob.....it's a real pain here when the teachers all say 'Can I have this science app for this afternoon' and you have to go around to every Ipad ( which is bad enough ) and type the dastardly password into each one.....

I am scared of Apple Configurator as I wiped an Ipad last time with someone's work on it ( ok you can back it up in Itunes but when you have loads of Ipads it becomes a nightmare ).

The trouble with using Apple Configurator is that our Ipads all have different Apps on them.........depending on where they are........we could do a base image I suppose but it does vary ....not to mention the fact everyone seems to store all their work on them without backing them up. I am very nervous about messing with the Ipads with Apple Configurator!
    Last edited by pixellip; 7th April 2014 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I know some people that have some how got it setup but don't count on it as the people that have somehow stopped the password prompt can't remember how they have done it and cant tell you how to do it either.
    Or don't know which of the massive amounts of tweaks actually worked. I used Configurator to supervise it and then profile manager MDM with a lot of time and frustration that eventually seemed to work. I am hoping that it replicates out reliably to all the iPads when I finally get a hold of all of them.

Thank Post
    I am wondering is it better practice to set up every Ipad with it's own account? From a managerial point of view that's a nightmare but someone here in the office suggested this as well........(Icloud and security being one advantage)....anyway sorry more questions/off topic..............I was also debating whether it was better to set proxy stuff up in Meraki or to force it with Apple Configurator.

I don't know.... the words Meraki and Apple Configurator bring shivers to my spine.....it's not a science exactly is it....
    Last edited by pixellip; 7th April 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pixellip View Post
    I am wondering is it better practice to set up every Ipad with it's own account? From a managerial point of view that's a nightmare but someone here in the office suggested this as well........(Icould and security being one advantage)....anyway sorry more questions/off topic..............I was al;so debating whether it was better to set proxy stuff up in Meraki or to force it with Apple Configurator.

I don't know.... the words Meraki and Apple Configurator bring shivers to my spine.....it's not a science exactly is it....
    That's what they suggest, it is a nightmare but may work better especially if you need specific apps on specific gear.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

srinivas (Today)

Thank Post
    Ok thanks everyone........I suppose you are all just as much in the dark as I am ....it's trial and error isn't it....

Thank Post
    Profile Manager App Push does not require a user-end password as long as the device is supervised and enrolled successfully. iOS 7 brought with it new silent MDM features for 3rd parties like Meraki, but your devices MUST be supervised. The only way to supervise a device is you guessed it, using Apple Configurator.

I would not setup each iPad with its own account, use one single Apple ID (Works for us here, but everyones deployment scenario is different).

We have around 54 iPads here and before doing anything, I sat down with all the guides from Apple, Meraki etc and read about it. I learned how it worked, I learned how to tweak and fiddle until we have a perfect setup. It is a lengthy setup time but once you get them enrolled and out there, its easy.

Configurator to Supervise them, Profile Manager to manage them - and with the new VPP features from Apple, VPP purchases now automatically show up in my Profile Manager Apps menu ready to push to what group, device or user I wish.

(And you have to get your head around the fact that - yes, most features are not supported by Apple and manual work is required)

12. 3 Thanks to SovietRussia:

pixellip (7th April 2014), seawolf (7th April 2014), Tammie (15th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Profile Manager App Push does not require a user-end password as long as the device is supervised and enrolled successfully. iOS 7 brought with it new silent MDM features for 3rd parties like Meraki, but your devices MUST be supervised. The only way to supervise a device is you guessed it, using Apple Configurator.

I would not setup each iPad with its own account, use one single Apple ID (Works for us here, but everyones deployment scenario is different).

We have around 54 iPads here and before doing anything, I sat down with all the guides from Apple, Meraki etc and read about it. I learned how it worked, I learned how to tweak and fiddle until we have a perfect setup. It is a lengthy setup time but once you get them enrolled and out there, its easy.

Configurator to Supervise them, Profile Manager to manage them - and with the new VPP features from Apple, VPP purchases now automatically show up in my Profile Manager Apps menu ready to push to what group, device or user I wish.

(And you have to get your head around the fact that - yes, most features are not supported by Apple and manual work is required)
    You can push to groups too but that increases the workload and none of the steps are really that evident in the non-existent documentation from Apple, they like to keep everything a secret it seems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You can push to groups too but that increases the workload and none of the steps are really that evident in the non-existent documentation from Apple, they like to keep everything a secret it seems.
    Non existent documentation?
    as in here>
    http://help.apple.com/profilemanager...1-E9AD29A61D0C

or here>
    Unable to use Apple Push Notification service (APNs)

or here>
    Unable to use Apple Push Notification service (APNs)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Starting deployment with OSX server and seem to have made it work silently but how well it persists is another story. I am hopeful but it is early days. You can apparently convert the code based licences to token ones but I am not certain. @seawolf may be able to provide a more informative answer.
    Here's the info on migrating redemption codes (which can be used both in Configurator and most MDMs, but require "gifting" of the license to the Apple ID it's redeemed on) and managed distribution (which can't be used with Configurator, but allow you to reclaim app licenses and to easily do OTA silent installs).

Volume Purchase Program: Migrating from redemption codes to managed distribution

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post

+1 on this.

There is an article on using AirWatch for silently pushing apps (free and paid), but these steps apply to any MDM that supports OTA. One thing to note is that it is not necessary to actually assign the user in MDM to every iPad you want to push apps to, but you can just have them signed into the same Apple ID and have the automatic install of apps turned on for all of the iPads. Accepting the invitation on the single iPad associated with the user in the MDM and installing an App will install it on all of them. Either way works though.

How to silently push free apps using VPP, Managed Distribution, Supervision and AirWatch | Enterprise iOS

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pixellip View Post
    I am wondering is it better practice to set up every Ipad with it's own account? From a managerial point of view that's a nightmare but someone here in the office suggested this as well........(Icloud and security being one advantage)....anyway sorry more questions/off topic..............I was also debating whether it was better to set proxy stuff up in Meraki or to force it with Apple Configurator.

I would NOT setup every iPad with its own Apple ID, not for iPads you are managing in trolley/class set that is. It will cause you headaches. I would recommend having one Apple ID per trolley/class set though as this allows you to push different apps to different sets of iPads depending on need.

If you're talking 1:1 iPads, then they need to have individual Apple IDs and each user will need to accept the MDM invite before apps can be pushed OTA.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast