+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Ipad Woes in Technical; Originally Posted by seawolf +1 on this. There is an article on using AirWatch for silently pushing apps (free and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    +1 on this.

There is an article on using AirWatch for silently pushing apps (free and paid), but these steps apply to any MDM that supports OTA. One thing to note is that it is not necessary to actually assign the user in MDM to every iPad you want to push apps to, but you can just have them signed into the same Apple ID and have the automatic install of apps turned on for all of the iPads. Accepting the invitation on the single iPad associated with the user in the MDM and installing an App will install it on all of them. Either way works though.

How to silently push free apps using VPP, Managed Distribution, Supervision and AirWatch | Enterprise iOS
    So you turn on automatic install on each iPad, you have lets say 100 iPads and you push out 3 apps to all the iPads. Pages,Keynote and Numbers for example.....You now have 300 apps all trying to download at the same time, which will in many schools completely cripple the wifi and internet access

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    So you turn on automatic install on each iPad, you have lets say 100 iPads and you push out 3 apps to all the iPads. Pages,Keynote and Numbers for example.....You now have 300 apps all trying to download at the same time, which will in many schools completely cripple the wifi and internet access
    Only if someone were silly enough to either place 100 iPads onto a single Apple ID (we limit it to 32, or 1 full trolley) AND they didn't use QoS/Bandwidth Shaping on App Store downloads to prevent this very thing from occurring (which we do).

Thank Post
    I did get Profile Manager to silently install apps though it has it's problems. All our iPads were fully supervised and all setup in the exact same way I had around 40 iPads that would sucessfully silently install apps and I have other that wouldn't, they where all the same and after months with Apple Support they couldn't even figure out what was wrong and told me to go back to configurator as profile manager has known bugs such as these. We also had a problem where apps would download and install on 1 iPad but wouldn't install on the next and became a greyed out app on the home screen, again Apple, LEA and Smoothwall couldn't understand why it was working on some but not others.

I would suggest you trial it on a few iPads before doing the lot, I would have to say Profile Manager seems the best bet, although from my personal experience I think it's a pile of cr*p. You may also want to call your LEA and make sure that downloads work as there maybe a caching server on your LEA's network which will cause soooooooooo many problems if you share the same public IP with everyone else.

I'd take what some people say on here with a pinch of salt, I find there's normally a big argument regarding the whole Apple and Microsoft and Linux thing... it's all about finding what works best for your school I can only advise you on my personal experience and hope it helps. Some people will say "I was wrong" or "I didn't do it properly" blah blah that's fine. I've spent over 8 months and had formal training with these iPads and sometimes it's fact they just don't work properly it's a shame because they have the potential to be such nice and cool devices to be used in a school though all they seem to bring with them is frustration in my opinion.

Hope this helps buddy and good luck!

Thank Post
    Only if someone were silly enough to either place 100 iPads onto a single Apple ID (we limit it to 32, or 1 full trolley) AND they didn't use QoS/Bandwidth Shaping on App Store downloads to prevent this very thing from occurring (which we do).
    Whilst I'm sure you are managing this process and understand the limits on using Automatic downloads, just thought it was worth pointing out that this deployment scenario doesn't scale well. Without those limits being pointed out other people reading this would just assume you can do the same with every iPad.

No criticism was intended....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    Whilst I'm sure you are managing this process and understand the limits on using Automatic downloads, just thought it was worth pointing out that this deployment scenario doesn't scale well. Without those limits being pointed out other people reading this would just assume you can do the same with every iPad.

No criticism was intended....
    No, It was a point worth pointing out, and no criticism taken. I've recommended having one Apple ID per trolley on this thread and others, which I think is a good way to do it (for most situations anyway). It's also good to spread out the apps a bit when pushing them out and use QoS as well. I shouldn't assume people will realise they need to do these things as standard practice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    We also had a problem where apps would download and install on 1 iPad but wouldn't install on the next and became a greyed out app on the home screen, again Apple, LEA and Smoothwall couldn't understand why it was working on some but not others.
    I could be wrong, but I do suspect that this has something to do with the LEA (shared WAN IP) or some other aspect of this arrangement. Network or DNS issues will definitely cause problems with APN, OTA app installs, etc. Many of the people with these sorts of issues I see appear to be using shared WAN services.

I would suggest you trial it on a few iPads before doing the lot...
    Good advice this part.

You may also want to call your LEA and make sure that downloads work as there maybe a caching server on your LEA's network which will cause soooooooooo many problems if you share the same public IP with everyone else.
    Yes, that's advisable. These sort of network setups could definitely cause problem when you don't truly control your own network.

... it's all about finding what works best for your school
    Absolutely.

Thank Post
    I could be wrong, but I do suspect that this has something to do with the LEA (shared WAN IP) or some other aspect of this arrangement. Network or DNS issues will definitely cause problems with APN, OTA app installs, etc. Many of the people with these sorts of issues I see appear to be using shared WAN services.
    Yeah mate our LEA provide a shared WAN this could be part and parcel of the problem.

Thank Post
    This thread is proving very informative thanks everyone.....it's interesting to hear your experiences. Sometimes with Meraki ( and this is not singling them out ) the apps just don't get pushed out to Ipads even thought you tell it to do so - sounds like a similar issue abillybob has with his silent installs.....I am going to have to have a think about all your comments as we have redeemed all our codes ( so if we move over to server based App installation with Profile Manager then as I understand we can't move them over) - I'll have to have a read about it from the links you have sent..
    It would be nice to be able to use Apple Configurator and have the same Apps on every Ipad ( like you would image a pc ) but in the real world this isn't going to happen and people ask for odd extra apps from time to time...so the Ipads are different....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pixellip View Post
    This thread is proving very informative thanks everyone.....it's interesting to hear your experiences. Sometimes with Meraki ( and this is not singling them out ) the apps just don't get pushed out to Ipads even thought you tell it to do so - sounds like a similar issue abillybob has with his silent installs.....I am going to have to have a think about all your comments as we have redeemed all our codes ( so if we move over to server based App installation with Profile Manager then as I understand we can't move them over) - I'll have to have a read about it from the links you have sent..
    It would be nice to be able to use Apple Configurator and have the same Apps on every Ipad ( like you would image a pc ) but in the real world this isn't going to happen and people ask for odd extra apps from time to time...so the Ipads are different....
    If you're planning on moving to Profile Manager you need to get your codes converted to licenses which is perfectly fine by calling Apple's VPP team although be warned once codes are converted to licenses they can't be converted back to codes again! Don't disregard Apple Configurator so strongly it's about managing the time frame your have to do them so for example explaining in a staff meeting you will only update the iPads once every half term and you can't just do the odd one here and there. Regarding Meraki not pushing out apps it's exactly what it did to me it wouldn't push them out properly or it would to some not to others, my OCD was going mental!!!

Anywhoo wish you all the best if you're stuck on anything don't hesitate to PM me!

10. Thanks to abillybob from:

pixellip (8th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Hi - we use meraki - annoying as hell we trialled it with our 24 iPads but didn't realise that we now cannot move the £900 of apps over to apple configurator without repurchasing !! So I am talking to meraki atm to see if we can streamline / understand why the management console/mdm on iPads and what is actually downloaded don't all appear the same and why apps download fine on 15 iPads in a group but not on the last one ..... concerned that configurator seems to be problematic as well was hoping for a solution !! Meraki was chosen because was hoping to use it for androids/chrome books and iPads ...... hoping

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    If you're planning on moving to Profile Manager you need to get your codes converted to licenses which is perfectly fine by calling Apple's VPP team although be warned once codes are converted to licenses they can't be converted back to codes again! Don't disregard Apple Configurator so strongly it's about managing the time frame your have to do them so for example explaining in a staff meeting you will only update the iPads once every half term and you can't just do the odd one here and there. Regarding Meraki not pushing out apps it's exactly what it did to me it wouldn't push them out properly or it would to some not to others, my OCD was going mental!!!

Anywhoo wish you all the best if you're stuck on anything don't hesitate to PM me!
    We give ours a two day timeline from ordering to install, and update the children's once every two weeks. Use Meraki and a very good ruckus network and it does work ok but none of them are perfect for installing apps and the way the BGFL is set up seriously hampers downloads and updates. we've got just over 200 now and the last 6mths have been stressful but it does seem to work once you figure out the limits of the wifi/ISP and the IPads.

Apple support isn't great and most of my fixes have either come from edugeek, other local schools or by fiddling, I don't think there is a perfect answer yet.

Thank Post
    I do find Meraki a bit flakey. We only have 20 ipads but the VPP deploy installed on all the tablets but looking at the VPP only 6 or so have been claimed... no idea why. I wondered if its because I was using the same apple ID for them all but its very weird as some take the license and others don't... same with deploying free apps, I have te auto update apps setting all enabled and most just deploy the free apps auto but some just don't... I go into the Meraki app and check the installed apps and it will show some are assigned but not installed.

Interested in DEP as I don't like the Apple configurator too....why do some ipads reconfigure and others not.

At least we only have 20

Thank Post
    It is possible to deploy apps to iPads silently without having to enter passwords.
    Make sure all the iPads are signed in with an apple ID. you have to have individual IDs for each iPad AFAIK.

The trick is not to add apps under the apps section. What you do is just assign the licences under the MDM > VPP section. Once the licences are assigned they will deploy automatically. No further action needed.

As mentioned by others, it can tend to miss one or two iPads occasionally which can be frustrating.
    It's not brilliant but it works. Kind of.

15. 2 Thanks to zhinkler:

biz (29th April 2014), pixellip (11th April 2014)

Thank Post
    I've not found it to be that way here. If you assign apps to users through the VPP section alone, they will appear in the Managed Apps area in the Meraki MDM app on those users' devices, where they can then download them. They should also appear under the Purchased section in the App Store. Either way, though, they will not be automatically installed. To have that as well, you also need to deploy them to devices (using tags seems to work best) through MDM > Apps.

Thank Post
    Ahh, I have removed the MDM app from the devices.
    Try that with one iPad.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast