+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Mixture of apps from Personal and School Apple IDs in Technical; Hi all, I have come across staff using both their School Apple ID and personal Apple ID to access paid ...

Thank Post

Mixture of apps from Personal and School Apple IDs

Hi all,

I have come across staff using both their School Apple ID and personal Apple ID to access paid content. I had a feeling that content purchased on a personal account should not be used on school iPads due to licensing issues. Just wanting to confirm this as I do not want staff to be mis-informed. From what I can tell since the content will not be licensed as it is not a personal device. This is confusing so if anyone can make any sense of this post and get back to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoon-mint View Post
    I had a feeling that content purchased on a personal account should not be used on school iPads due to licensing issues.
    If the app is paid for and everything is above board there would be nothing stopping them from being used. My personal opinion is that no personal accounts should be used on iPads, it just leaves (a small) door open to abuse and you not being able to track it. Generic department accounts all the way.

3. Thanks to foofighterjim from:

tmoon-mint (7th April 2014)

Thank Post
    We lock accounts down for this, so no Apple IDs can be added or removed. App Licensing is some what of a black art to understand

5. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    If the app is paid for and everything is above board there would be nothing stopping them from being used. My personal opinion is that no personal accounts should be used on iPads, it just leaves (a small) door open to abuse and you not being able to track it. Generic department accounts all the way.
    If only, it seems Apple needs a personal ID per device to allow VPP to deploy, these can of course be school managed apple IDs but still a per device account. As to content with apps I don't think it makes a difference but only with stuff like music and movies which are not licenced for general distribution anyway and so are not available through the VPP. Books and Apps however has less draconian restrictions on them and Apples ridiculous systems makes personal and single accounts about equal anyway as all the VPP does is add an application to a bunch of individual apple IDs.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    @SYNACK What I meant was not to tie the Apple ID to individual teachers school email accounts. If they leave you will either need to keep the account active or re purchase software once the iPad is re assigned. All I am doing is using Alias addresses that can easily be moved to a new mailbox if required. For example I would create ipadict01, ipadict02 etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoon-mint View Post
    Hi all,

I have come across staff using both their School Apple ID and personal Apple ID to access paid content. I had a feeling that content purchased on a personal account should not be used on school iPads due to licensing issues. Just wanting to confirm this as I do not want staff to be mis-informed. From what I can tell since the content will not be licensed as it is not a personal device. This is confusing so if anyone can make any sense of this post and get back to me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Having both a personal Apple ID and institution Apple ID being used on the iPad in general is not a problem, this is what known as Apple's "layered" app model.

One important thing to bear in mind though is how you are deploying institution owned content to the users. If you are pushing the content out to users via an MDM, not using managed distribution and each user is entering the Apple ID and password then that content now belongs to THAT Apple ID so make sure users are using the institution Apple ID otherwise you will lose that content you have purchased.

10. Thanks to Brimstone from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    @SYNACK What I meant was not to tie the Apple ID to individual teachers school email accounts. If they leave you will either need to keep the account active or re purchase software once the iPad is re assigned. All I am doing is using Alias addresses that can easily be moved to a new mailbox if required. For example I would create ipadict01, ipadict02 etc.
    Good call but if using the new VPP MDM you can pull the apps from one ad add them to the new one after jumping through all the BS hoops that apple throws in the way, the way you propose is far more manageable and what I do when I have to deal with them, cuts out massive amounts of wasted time.

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your quick and informative responses. As long as there are no legal issues with staff using their own paid content I am reasonably happy for them to do so, although the point of not being able to manage it does raise some slight concerns. I may well change my stance on this and disable the ability to change Apple IDs in the future as I cannot risk paid content being tied to personal accounts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If only, it seems Apple needs a personal ID per device to allow VPP to deploy, these can of course be school managed apple IDs but still a per device account. As to content with apps I don't think it makes a difference but only with stuff like music and movies which are not licenced for general distribution anyway and so are not available through the VPP. Books and Apps however has less draconian restrictions on them and Apples ridiculous systems makes personal and single accounts about equal anyway as all the VPP does is add an application to a bunch of individual apple IDs.
    You can use one Apple ID per unlimited devices. Any Apple ID can redeem a VPP code/token.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    You can use one Apple ID per unlimited devices. Any Apple ID can redeem a VPP code/token.
    Yes but using a code it is locked to the account where as the new token method can be revoked and reassigned as far as I can remember.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Whilst true this is NOT supported by Apple, and does not scale at all, in fact it can cause even more problems, I would imagine this workaround will not be around much longer once DEP arrives in this country.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread