+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Getting work back onto server from iPad in Technical; I have tried the filebrowser app however i found that due to restrictions on our server it couldn't get to ...
    Thank Post
    I have tried the filebrowser app however i found that due to restrictions on our server it couldn't get to the student profiles and only allowed us to view the shared drive

Set each share up as a NAS box rather than a PC, with SMB Pipelining turned on. Should work fine with more or less any setup... those must be some very oddball restrictions.

Thank Post
    +1 for filebrowser, nice and simple and cheap too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Set each share up as a NAS box rather than a PC, with SMB Pipelining turned on. Should work fine with more or less any setup... those must be some very oddball restrictions.[/COLOR]
    that worked thanks

Thank Post
    It allows you to send to only configured addresses.. Essentially, the folders within the specified folder/s which aircatch has been set to point to are the "email addresses".. My setup for example, aircatch is pointing toward "H:\homefolders" and within here are various pupil folders, a pupil can just send their work to the folder named after them, "fredsmith" from the iPad, in teachers cases, iPhones. Hope that helps.

5. Thanks to TopTech from:

seawolf (2nd April 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTech View Post
    It allows you to send to only configured addresses.. Essentially, the folders within the specified folder/s which aircatch has been set to point to are the "email addresses".. My setup for example, aircatch is pointing toward "H:\homefolders" and within here are various pupil folders, a pupil can just send their work to the folder named after them, "fredsmith" from the iPad, in teachers cases, iPhones. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the follow-up. Just to clarify, I would think that AirCatch would need to use the Mail app for sending to the "email addresses", is that correct? If not, then that is brilliant and its exactly what we need for our shared iPad trolleys. If it does create an email account in the Mail app, is it possible for a student to open that up and send an email to a different address than the AirCatch server, or does it handle that by being the SMTP server itself and whitelisting the addresses the email account can send to that way.

Thank Post
    Old thread but a few AirCatch questions on here. We are trialling it at the moment and it seems pretty good from what I can see is that there is no way to stop users from sending files to another users home folder.
    As @TopTech said you can add H:\homefolders as the location of your users and it then scans that folder and makes email accounts for all the usernames underneath. The end user then emails their doc to their username, such as fredsmith, but if you are fred smith then you can just as easily send the file to joebloggs.
    Before we commit to AirCatch are there any other similar products that we should evaluate. I've not had a chance to trial Foldr but does it have the same limitation as AirCatch and other users folders?
    Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Old thread but a few AirCatch questions on here. We are trialling it at the moment and it seems pretty good from what I can see is that there is no way to stop users from sending files to another users home folder.
    As @TopTech said you can add H:\homefolders as the location of your users and it then scans that folder and makes email accounts for all the usernames underneath. The end user then emails their doc to their username, such as fredsmith, but if you are fred smith then you can just as easily send the file to joebloggs.
    Before we commit to AirCatch are there any other similar products that we should evaluate. I've not had a chance to trial Foldr but does it have the same limitation as AirCatch and other users folders?
    Thanks.
    No it does not, Foldr works with your existing permissions and ACL shares on your Windows server, you can not only send files to your home directory but download files from it as well, uses the existing AD user name and password, requires a VM to work but installs in about 2 clicks.

Foldr does so much more though, create QR codes of files the teacher wants to send to students, annotate PDF files and save back so that teachers can mark student work.

If you are evaluating file sharing for iPad I would get in touch for a free trial.

Welcome | Foldr - Free Your Files

(NB. I don't work for Minnow)

9. Thanks to Brimstone from:

eejit (1st December 2014)

Thank Post
    Awesome stuff @Brimstone - just registered for the free trial. Thanks!

Thank Post
    +1 recommendation from me for Foldr, its amazingly easy to setup and can cope with most of the weird and wonderful ways different apps try to save things.

I can honestly say the iPad trial at my school would probably have died on its arse without Foldr, the teachers love it.

Mike Turner at Minnow is a really decent guy as well, he was happy to extend my trial whilst we made a final decision on it.

Neal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12