+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Unable to Download App in Technical; Ok I just tried using Meraki to push out a lego storyvisualiser App on the Ipads I get a message ...

Thank Post

Unable to Download App

Ok
    I just tried using Meraki to push out a lego storyvisualiser App on the Ipads I get a message saying "meraki is wanting to install app"
    Click OK then I get a "Unable to Download App" "StoryVisualiser" could not be downloaded at this time.
    Retried a few times and nothing.
    Go into app story and try it that way still unable to download.
    Tried another free app in the app store still same error message.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    We had a similar problem. Turned out another school connected to our LEA network had enabled the caching service on a Mac server which stopped all the other schools' ipads from contacting Apple directly.

- - - Updated - - -

We had a similar problem. Turned out another school connected to our LEA network had enabled the caching service on a Mac server which stopped all the other schools' ipads from contacting Apple directly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HilcrRWise View Post
    Hmm a teacher tested this for me they took a student iPad home and they could download and install the app. However on the teachers iPad IN School they could download and install apps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Hmm a teacher tested this for me they took a student iPad home and they could download and install the app. However on the teachers iPad IN School they could download and install apps.
    Sorry buddy this makes no sense.... Anyway regarding your original post it will most likely be a Cache server is activated somewhere on the LEA network thus stopping you from downloading apps from Apple, we have had the same problem. Its a state yes and something Apple will unlikely ever resolve. I have just moved back to configurator seems to be the only decent option though even this will cock up sometimes.

Call your LEA explain the problem and it will be up to their broadband team to sort it but expect it to take a very long time.

Thank Post
    We had the same issue, Primary School had Caching turned on, took everyone's down - I wish they would change the caching scope to only include that range, or give us the input to enter a range.

Thank Post
    Sorry.
    In school the student iPads come up with the "unable to download App" error, the teachers iPads download them fine.
    Taking a student iPad home and using a home network the apps are downloaded no problem.
    The only difference I can see is that the teachers go through a different proxy port to the students in school.

So we think its the Cache server somewhere, not a Meraki or School network problem.

Thank Post
    It will unlikely be a Meraki or Network problem. It sounds exactly the same as the problem I had. I just gave up with MDM altogether in the end mate and you will probably find yourself doing this too. I don't know where your located but I'm under Worcestershire LEA and that has the issues you are explaining.

Thank Post
    Cheers abillybob,

To be honest I'm finding the iPads a real nightmare at the moment. Meraki doesnt seam to do anything useful, has a webinare of Lightspeed which looks very similar, and talking to the guy it only pushes out apps and wont push out updates.

I have used Configurator to initially set them up, this was done in a rush due to lack of planning. However when I used Configurator to push out an update even with the tick in the update box (cant remember exact wording) it whipped the ipad losing all the students work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Cheers abillybob,

To be honest I'm finding the iPads a real nightmare at the moment. Meraki doesnt seam to do anything useful, has a webinare of Lightspeed which looks very similar, and talking to the guy it only pushes out apps and wont push out updates.

I have used Configurator to initially set them up, this was done in a rush due to lack of planning. However when I used Configurator to push out an update even with the tick in the update box (cant remember exact wording) it whipped the ipad losing all the students work.
    It can do this deleting the students work especially if theres an iOS update. This is why you need a way to store all the childrens files on a local server. We use Filecloud but there are loads of different ones such as WebDav which might tickle your fancy. At the end of it all iPads are made to be 1:1 devices and nothing else, when we try to share them between students that's when things get messy and they become very difficult to manage but you will find Apple Configurator to be one of the best ways to manage them.

Oh and you will also find that as you have now user Meraki and put your codes into their service you will have lost some codes and will either need to buy them back or get Apple to refund you and buy all the codes again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ios devices can and will attempt to download apps from other ios devices instead of apple central, if directed by apple. However they don't always make smart decisions and potentially your ipad can be attempting to retrieve an app from a device it can't actually see.

For us this behavior was caused by some weird interaction between squid proxy and lightspeed filtering and our only way to get round the problem was reconfigure our guest network so it doesn't have a proxy.

maybe it's something to do with the mesh network
    How an Under-Appreciated iOS 7 Feature Will Change the World | Cult of Mac
    Last edited by browolf; 25th March 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Thank Post
    We also did this and used a transparent proxy but still didn't resolve the issue so i know this was another school with their caching server turned on.

Thank Post
    Cheers Fokes, Will have a look at our proxy but will also get on to the LEA.

Would it be possible for me to email one of you about how you have your iPads set up?

Thank Post
    You can do buddy but all I do is use Apple Configurator, Filecloud for server access and a transparent proxy on Smoothwall for the iPads with an SSL Login Page!

Thank Post
    For those who have to explain to their local authority, or school ISP for that matter why they need to change their infrastructure and NOT issue the same public I.P. address to all of their schools, some of these "so called" IT Techs may just scratch their heads at you

I blog in a Scottish accent: Caching Server 2

Thank Post
    I really don't understand what's going on. I have gone to settings > wifi> HTTP Proxy and turned it off apps now download.

Does that still point to the cache server thing?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast