+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Kindles in UK schools in Technical; Hi all, An order has been put forward for 150 Kindles to be purchased for English because 'Kids are so ...
    Thank Post

Kindles in UK schools

Hi all,

An order has been put forward for 150 Kindles to be purchased for English because 'Kids are so used to looking at screens they will read more'. I'm firmly against this and have been putting together a plan to get it thrown out, or at the very least the number purchased brought down to a class size of 30 at most. I've no experience with Kindles but it is my understanding that they must be linked to an Amazon account and books can be downloaded to a maximum of 6 devices. Is this the case?

I've also read conflicting information that by using them in a school environment you are breaking Amazon UK terms of use agreement as they are a 'personal' device?

Could anyone shed further light on the legalities of using them? Those who may have them how do you manage them and the books?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing is Kindles don't support proxy servers. So you will struggle there. You could use USB instead though.

This will let you manage kindles in bulk - https://whispercast.amazon.com/

Thank Post
    Hi FN-GM,

We don't use a proxy here, so that's not an issue.

I did briefly look into Whispercast but seemed it was aimed at the US only currently?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    This will let you manage kindles in bulk - https://whispercast.amazon.com/
    When did it become available is the UK? That's pretty big news.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    When did it become available is the UK? That's pretty big news.
    I don't use it personally, someone told me last week schools can use it in the UK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    I just double-checked and you can't select "United Kingdom" from the Country dropdown box - it's greyed out. That must mean UK schools are creating US accounts which doesn't sound like a good idea.

Thank Post
    I had 8 in a school, they used a proxy so school bought a PAYG wifi hotspot dongle to get them configured etc... you are right about the 6 devices for one book, all set up was manual and I had to update the software on each one to activate the parent controls on them to prevent the kids dong stuff they shouldn't. when you buy a book you push it to one device and then it becomes available in the archive folder, once 6 licenses used you then buy another copy and push it to device number 7. it took me the best part on 3 hours to configure 8 devices! so good luck with 150! I would stay away from them if I was you!

8. Thanks to ardvark from:

DevilsAdvocate (20th March 2014)

Thank Post
    We've just got 6 Kindle Fire HDs in an Infants School to encourage reading amongst reluctant readers. These can work with a proxy, just press and hold the wireless connection and then go into something like "Advanced Settings" or "Modify config". Not that it'll be an issue for the OP, but I thought I'd mention in for anyone else who reads the thread and might find this useful.

- - - Updated - - -

We've just got 6 Kindle Fire HDs in an Infants School to encourage reading amongst reluctant readers. These can work with a proxy, just press and hold the wireless connection and then go into something like "Advanced Settings" or "Modify config". Not that it'll be an issue for the OP, but I thought I'd mention in for anyone else who reads the thread and might find this useful.

Thank Post
    Hi all.

Just to update with this, have ended up with 30 Kindle E inks to now sort out. Have locked down a few things via the parental settings. However, a few things still trouble me. A device password can be set and the device language can be changed...two things which would render the device practically useless until reset. Any way of doing anything with these? can't find any information anywhere!

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post

- - - Updated - - -

We've got 15 of these but we've set them up to use RM Books via the browser. TBF, could be any android, they didn't need kindles to do this.

Thank Post
    I had 20 turn up in a school. We didn't even put them on the school wireless (no point - proxy in use). I bought a 15-odd way usb hub and wrote batch files to copy files over. They were a pain in the backside tbh. Kids used them for a while, think they fell into disuse in the end.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Apparently we have some in a cupboard somewhere. I found out last week. Whether they were ever used I have no idea. I suspect not, just like the iPod that was bought.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread