+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad and Windows Domain issues in Technical; Hi, My school has recently moved to a Windows AD system where the Win log in credentials are used to ...

Thank Post

iPad and Windows Domain issues

Hi,

My school has recently moved to a Windows AD system where the Win log in credentials are used to pass through the NGFL LightSpeed firewall. My trouble is that the iPads in school need the user to log in through Northumberland's LightSpeed before they can do anything involving internet connectivity.

We have Meraki installed and use K9 browser - is there any way to set an automatic log in through LightSpeed on the iPads only so that we can do all the over-the-air stuff that we bought them for (GoogleDrive sync etc)?

Thanks

Thank Post
    You can configure Lightspeed on a per MAC address basis.

You could then set policies based on the iPad MAC address but other devices would still be restricted based on user login.

Not sure if that helps

Thank Post
    We have a separate SSID, VLAN and IP range on DHCP for our iPads, lightspeed is set to overrule the need for authentication and defaults to our student policy. I hope that makes sense.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snagrat View Post
    You can configure Lightspeed on a per MAC address basis.

You could then set policies based on the iPad MAC address but other devices would still be restricted based on user login.

Not sure if that helps
    Lightspeed is at County end though - school doesn't have permissions to change things. This was my original idea as the iPads are never used unsupervised anyway (as well as it being a first school!)

Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry View Post
    We have a separate SSID, VLAN and IP range on DHCP for our iPads, lightspeed is set to overrule the need for authentication and defaults to our student policy. I hope that makes sense.
    Again the issue is that we don't have control over lightspeed. I guess the way is to ask County to configure lightspeed to bypass the iPad MAC addresses and control internet access on the device using K9 as a browser and disabling Safari through Meraki MDM.

Our IT support man, by his own admission, doesn't do IOS and is trying his best to fumble along.

Thank Post
    Your IT guys need to liaise with county to sort the issue. I severely doubt they'll allow Mac based bypassing on a grid-foundation connection. I don't recommend starting the conversation with 'we want you to do this...' - make it a clear request rather than an instruction - 'we've got xxxx devices - what is your supported method of use?' and see what they say, then take it from there.

6. Thanks to Marci from:

colingrimes (19th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    Your IT guys need to liaise with county to sort the issue. I severely doubt they'll allow Mac based bypassing on a grid-foundation connection. I don't recommend starting the conversation with 'we want you to do this...' - make it a clear request rather than an instruction - 'we've got xxxx devices - what is your supported method of use?' and see what they say, then take it from there.
    That was my initial thoughts - the lightspeed issue was "forced" on us by County as a condition when we moved to a Windows Active Domain setup with individual student log-ins. However the visiting IT tech (bought in under the County SLA) thinks that the head teacher can opt out of lightspeed. We have a lot of head scratching going on at the moment about the use of ipads. My feeling is that if there is not a simple way of connecting to the internet, bearing in mind that this is a first school, then the ipads will become redundant except for the apps we currently have. The inability to simply distribute pictures etc makes using them very time consuming - it took me a whole morning to upload video from 10 ipads to GoogleDrive because they lose the internet connection everytime the screen locks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread