+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away in Technical; In a blind camera taste test pictures from the iPhone 5s beat out ones from its five main competitors | ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In a Blind "Taste Test" the iPhone 5s camera blows major competitors away

In a blind camera taste test pictures from the iPhone 5s beat out ones from its five main competitors | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog

OK, so it's a bit of an oxymoron to have a "blind" camera test, but you get the drift. Despite being "outclassed" in the megapixel and features (bling bling) categories, the camera on the iPhone 5S was deemed the best of its major competitors.

No surprise really, because as any good photographer will tell you megapixels along don't make a camera. It's quality that counts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So a blog that primarily deals with apple products has an apple product win the day...seems legit

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    So a blog that primarily deals with apple products has an apple product win the day...seems legit
    And no mention of the year old but epic Nokia Lumina with the 40+ megapixel camera and the optics to blow the doors off the iPhone. The sensor is that good they have even used it to reconstruct images through diffusing panes of glass and a light reflection off a white wall. Now that's a camera.

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/7d85673ffb41
    Last edited by SYNACK; 18th March 2014 at 08:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is Phone Arena an Apple blog? TUAW is, yes but they're just linking to a third party report.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...I didn't know that Phone Arena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs was an Apple rag?

But, since I'm sure you aren't the type who would make rash judgements without actually reading the study that was cited in TUAW I'm sure you were probably referring to something else.
    iPhone 5s tops our blind camera comparison, Xperia Z1 Compact takes last place

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    And no mention of the year old but epic Nokia Lumina with the 40+ megapixel camera and the optics to blow the doors off the iPhone. The sensor is that good they have even used it to reconstruct images through diffusing panes of glass and a light reflection off a white wall. Now that's a camera.

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/7d85673ffb41
    This study was about the iPhone's major (and actual) competitors. With a market share of almost zip, there is NO Windows Phone that can be considered a major competitor to the iPhone. If it was a study about the best camera that happened to be attached to a smartphone, one of the Lumia models would almost certainly have won. But it wasn't. This was a study of the cameras in the phones that most people in the world are likely to have on their person.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure you can count a 15% global share of the market as "zip". In Europe its significantly higher (around 25%), so your argument that a windows phone isn't a competitor is void. And yes I was on about TUAW. They only publish articles that favour apple.

As for the source of the material, in every "test" where the iPhone is there, it invariably gets put in conditions that favour it. Let's take underwater photos...I guarantee the Sony Xperia Z1 will come out on top...oh wait, that's because it's a waterproof phone and the iPhone would die within seconds...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    This study was about the iPhone's major (and actual) competitors. With a market share of almost zip, there is NO Windows Phone that can be considered a major competitor to the iPhone. If it was a study about the best camera that happened to be attached to a smartphone, one of the Lumia models would almost certainly have won. But it wasn't. This was a study of the cameras in the phones that most people in the world are likely to have on their person.
    Well I got rid of my iPhone and got a Lumia 1020 and I aint looking back - yes I'm missing out on thousands of mostly pointless apps, (thousands of apps I didn't download when I did have the iPhone), yes the Windows phone is much better suited to being productive linked straight into my skydrive and office365 and my xbox, yes the 40 mpix camera is awesome - I love it.

So yeh, despite the failings of the app development on the platform a good windows phone still compares with an iphone in my humble opinion!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yup, you have to remember with tests like this that the chosen shots are important.

They took 3 photos, it seems, are all about well lit subject matter. What about low light environments? What about high contrast shots (black item in a white textured environment)? What about really low contrast shots? Not to mention, the order that the photos are presented to the users to vote on affects the vote too. They also had comments on the voting pages I believe, which is definitely going to affect the outcome.

So much more to deciding on a camera.
    Last edited by localzuk; 18th March 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Typical of an iPhone related post to concentrate on things that barely make a selling point. I still can't understand why people buy a 5S over a 5C. Humans.

(In a nutshell, the wise human will ignore pretty much any article from such rags and speak to other humans not on someone else's payroll, and then have a play themselves to see if *they* like what they see)
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 18th March 2014 at 09:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    From that site "Improvements over time in DXOMark and DXOMark Mobile scores for Canon EOS DSLRs and two ranges of smartphones. Note that the scales for the DSLRs and the phones are different and not directly comparable."

All the graph shows is that the quality of photography that can be done with phones is improving at a faster rate than the EOS XXD range is improving.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure you can count a 15% global share of the market as "zip". In Europe its significantly higher (around 25%), so your argument that a windows phone isn't a competitor is void.
    Where in the world (literally) are you getting your 15% market share figures? Care to provide the source, because Microsoft and Nokia would like to know where their revenue has gone. Worldwide, Android and iOS have 92.5% of the world market share. Windows Phone has 3.7%. In Europe, Windows Phone seems to have peaked at around 10% based on the latest stats I could find. In Italy, it seems to be popular, but 17% is still a far cry from the 25% you've cited. I prefer to deal with facts rather than fantasy mate.

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413

Windows Phone growth plateaus in Europe, Xiaomi beats Samsung in China | ZDNet

I can play this game too. Did you know the Mac has a 17.61% market share? It's true and I have the evidence to back it up. Just ignore the rest of the data in that link though. Look away, look away....

As for the source of the material, in every "test" where the iPhone is there, it invariably gets put in conditions that favour it. Let's take underwater photos...I guarantee the Sony Xperia Z1 will come out on top...oh wait, that's because it's a waterproof phone and the iPhone would die within seconds...
    Firstly, who in their right mind would take their smartphone scuba diving or snorkelling unless it was some sort of stunt? Proper cases and cameras work much better underwater. Larger lenses gather light much better and purpose-built cameras are much better to be using so you aren't stuffing around with trying to get a touch screen to work properly underwater where you are probably wearing gloves anyway (unless you're in the tropics). Speaking from experience as a licensed diver here mate.

And yes, sure every magazine in the world has caught the "shiny shiny syndrome" and makes every test favourable to the iPhone. Really, seriously. Without a doubt.

And yes I was on about TUAW. They only publish articles that favour apple
    Oh, so you actually didn't read the original article or check the source. OK.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AButters View Post
    Well I got rid of my iPhone and got a Lumia 1020 and I aint looking back - yes I'm missing out on thousands of mostly pointless apps, (thousands of apps I didn't download when I did have the iPhone), yes the Windows phone is much better suited to being productive linked straight into my skydrive and office365 and my xbox, yes the 40 mpix camera is awesome - I love it.

So yeh, despite the failings of the app development on the platform a good windows phone still compares with an iphone in my humble opinion!
    Hey, don't get me wrong. I think there is a lot to like with Windows Phone. I actually prefer it to Android and the build quality of the Lumia's is a lot better than the Samsung phones IMO.

But, there have been some far-fetched numbers being thrown about the market share of WP on this thread, so I have to call that out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    Firstly, who in their right mind would take their smartphone scuba diving or snorkelling unless it was some sort of stunt? Proper cases and cameras work much better underwater. Larger lenses gather light much better and purpose-built cameras are much better to be using so you aren't stuffing around with trying to get a touch screen to work properly underwater where you are probably wearing gloves anyway (unless you're in the tropics). Speaking from experience as a licensed diver here mate.
    OK, might not be scuba diving with a phone, but I can work my phone in the bath without a problem, or in the shower, or when we go to a lake I dont have to worry about running in and my phone not getting wet if it is in my pocket, or being thrown into a swimming pool I dont have to worry about my phone stopping working...Also, qualified diver here as well and I agree, I wouldn't take it with me on a scuba dive.

As I am currently on my phone right now about to head into a meeting, I can't grab the sources and put them on the post, when done in the meeting, I shall do so for you and PM it over.

Also, seems every post you make regarding Apple products (not just iPhones, but Macs, Macbooks, iTunes etc) you can't help but state how awesome they are and nothing compares. Soon as someone posts contrary, you are up in arms. Fanboyism at its best. To prevent this turning into yet ANOTHER thread where YOU have instigated a flame war, I shall recommend this thread be closed.

16. 4 Thanks to featured_spectre:

abillybob (18th March 2014), Jinkeez (18th March 2014), sparkeh (18th March 2014), Tesla (18th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast